GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Point alternative domain name to my site?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/10/08 at 21:33
Regular
"imaginary friend"
I have just relinquished my instant site after progressing to making my own site. My site is uploaded to my .co.uk domain name and I would like to point the .com domain name to it. My instant site is currently using the .com domain and it doesnt run out until December although I have cancelled it. How do I point my .com address to my .co.uk address please??
Sun 12/10/08 at 14:20
Regular
"imaginary friend"
Hi Hmmm... Your right I have followed your advice ... after changing my instant site to a freeola500 address. Thanks for taking the interest to follow my attempts! I am pretty much a novice in webdesign although I have a great interest in it and I am learning loads from the postings here. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it as I know I probably come across as a bit of a 'dimbo' sometimes... but hey.. where could I find any better advice and we all have to start somewhere!!
Fri 10/10/08 at 18:23
"Are you sure?"
FYI...

I've been following Blue Fairy's previous posts and I can confirm that both the .com and co.uk addresses now point to the same website :¬)

From where I'm looking it looks like the MyFreeola option has been used!

Search Freeola Chat My Freeola Instant Site
Fri 10/10/08 at 17:49
Regular
this code was mentioned right at the start of this thread tappet

Digi
Fri 10/10/08 at 04:10
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
SORRY, hadn't realise this code had already been post.

im new to web design but i recently found and used this code.

add this code to your index.php page of your .com site

this will redirect the visitor to www.your_new_domain.co.uk

the CONTENT="9 is how many seconds the visitor will view your old site before getting redirected and can be changed to any value you choose, which will allow you to have a page explaining that the website has moved and will auto redirect.

hope this helps.
Thu 09/10/08 at 08:42
"Are you sure?"
If you are still having trouble I'm sure if you raise a Support Ticket, Freeola will take care of things for you and get your co.uk and .com site sharing the same webspace using the MyFreeola options (which will probably be a more simple solution for you than creating an .htaccess 301 redirect etc.).

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 09/10/08 at 01:24
Regular
I dont think you can delete it - it will be lurking around in your control panel some where :)

Digi
Thu 09/10/08 at 00:42
Regular
"imaginary friend"
Excellent! Thanks all for your help... I love all the sideways thinking and will try all your suggestions. I think I may have messed up though as I deleted my instant site and think I may have to wait to use the mysite.com domain name until my instantsite membership expires.
Wed 08/10/08 at 10:44
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Digitrader wrote:
> Cant you point it from the folder from the control panel? this
> may not be available for an instant site but is for normal
> domains bought from Freeola
>
> Digi

Digi is along the right lines, however if the domain is still connected to the Instant Sites service you will not be able to do this. From the Instant Sites page in MyFreeola you should be able to disassociate a domain (this may not be the case if you only have one domain connected to it). If the system will not let you remove the only domain from the service simply create a F500 address to make the primary Instant Site address instead.

This will allow you to remove your GetDotted domain from the Instant Sites server and appear within 'My Websites' as an unhosted domain. Simply follow the standard process for setting up hosting to link to your .co.uk address.

This is, of course, assuming both your domains are within the same MyFreeola account.
Wed 08/10/08 at 08:52
Regular
Cant you point it from the folder from the control panel? this may not be available for an instant site but is for normal domains bought from Freeola

Digi
Wed 08/10/08 at 08:22
Regular
"NULL"
You could either use PHP by creating an index.php file on the .com domain with the following content (make sure you don't put any whitespace at the beginning):

--------

--------

or use mod_rewrite by creating a file called .htaccess containing the following:

--------
RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.my-domain.co.uk/$1 [R=301,L]
--------

The advantage of the second method is that it will redirect people with HTTP 301 redirect code and will send them to the same page on the .co.uk. So if they types in www.my-domain.com/my-page.html it will send them to http://www.my-domain.co.uk/my-page.html instead of just the home page.

This can also be achieved with PHP but mod_rewrite is probably the easiest solution.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.