GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lord of the Rings: the extended version."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/11/02 at 18:01
Regular
The best film of the last few years has been enhanced considerably by the additional material, this sumptuous DVD boxset I got the other day provides. The 30 minutes of extra footage is implemented perfectly and adds more characterisation, more violence, more Hobbits and more of Middle Earth.

The prologue is now subtly different and incorporates Bilbo’s endearing description about Hobbits as he is writing in his book. There is also more of the Shire and the “travelling to” scenes are now fleshed out. Best of all though, there’s more fighting. The Cave Troll scene is extended, as are the final battle(s) between the Uruk-Hai and the Fellowship. The fighting has serious edge and is more ruthless than the theatrical cuts'.

I particularly enjoyed it when Gandalf utters words of power from Mordor at the meeting in Rivendale, which has some chilling effects. That shuts Boromir up.

Three and a half hours is a long time to spend watching a film mind…

But it’s worth it.

**10% nerdier than Mr Snuggly’s Episode II post, if that were possible**
Mon 18/11/02 at 18:01
"Darth Vader 3442321"
The best film of the last few years has been enhanced considerably by the additional material, this sumptuous DVD boxset I got the other day provides. The 30 minutes of extra footage is implemented perfectly and adds more characterisation, more violence, more Hobbits and more of Middle Earth.

The prologue is now subtly different and incorporates Bilbo’s endearing description about Hobbits as he is writing in his book. There is also more of the Shire and the “travelling to” scenes are now fleshed out. Best of all though, there’s more fighting. The Cave Troll scene is extended, as are the final battle(s) between the Uruk-Hai and the Fellowship. The fighting has serious edge and is more ruthless than the theatrical cuts'.

I particularly enjoyed it when Gandalf utters words of power from Mordor at the meeting in Rivendale, which has some chilling effects. That shuts Boromir up.

Three and a half hours is a long time to spend watching a film mind…

But it’s worth it.

**10% nerdier than Mr Snuggly’s Episode II post, if that were possible**
Mon 18/11/02 at 18:33
Regular
I thought the best added scenes were Bilbo's "Concerning Hobbits" speech at the beginning, and especially Aragorn's scene at his mothers grave. They were more Tolkeinite scenes, and therefore I loved them. Currently wading through THE BEST extra package ever assembled for DVD. It's awesome, especially Peter Jackson being Bilbo in the Bag End set test.
Mon 18/11/02 at 18:47
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Gandalf's cryptic warning to Frodo before entering Moria (about never having tested himself against certain powers) was interesting, being so prophetic et al.

The only bit I found poor was Merry and Pippin taking down Uruk-Hai by chucking small rocks at them. Especially after they had been involved in a brutal ruck moments earlier.
Mon 18/11/02 at 20:34
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
For me the best extra bit in the whole thing was the section where Bilbo talks to Frodo during te party, that ends with him telling Frodo "you'll be okay". Don't know why, but I just found that the most interesting part, Bilbo's telling Frodo he's going, and hinting at what he's leaving.

A cracking DVD set that kicks Episode 2's behind well and truly. Lord Of The Rings IS the new trilogy (despite only 1 of the 3 being released : )

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 29/11/02 at 19:21
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
has anyone had a problem with the normal in film subtitles
it affects both my intervideo windvd player and media player.

when someone speaks in elvish the translation subtitles come up but do not disapear once the conversation has ended
just wondering if anyone else has had this problem when playing the 1st of the 4 disc set
Fri 29/11/02 at 20:11
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
grrrr the same thing is happening with the second disc

is anyone else having this problem with playback on a pc?
Sat 30/11/02 at 16:12
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Why in the hell did they cut the bit in the final battle where Aragorn is running down to Boromir killing Uruk-Hai on the way?! That was fantatsic!

Well I haven't watched any of the extras yet but I love the film even more now. The Two Towers is gonna rock!

Bean is a god! And I was in Londown when he was Macbeth. I should have gone to see that rather than Glen "Man Beast Not a Woman But a Great Big Hairy MAN" Close in a Streetcar Named Desire. Which sucked by the way.
Sat 30/11/02 at 20:37
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I'll have to get this....

Christmas!

YAY!

More things like Gandalf speaking the words of the Ring in Rivendell was what I wanted. Excellent.

I'm re-reading it. Again.

Its superb.
Sun 01/12/02 at 09:14
Is it worth buying again seeing as I have the original?
Sun 01/12/02 at 12:37
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Father C wrote:
> Is it worth buying again seeing as I have the original?

Definitely. It has a cool box.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.