GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Daily Mail - I hate them but I love them (well, almost)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/09/08 at 15:24
"possibly impossible"
Such is the contradition I find myself with the rag of filth that is The Daily Mail.

So many of their articles produce bile in my throat for a number of reasons, not least the Mrs Bucket style upper-middle-class rantings of fools.

But then they know just what free DVDs and CDs to provide in order to counter the balance of being just about the crappest newspaper on Earth. Just look at the last month or so. First it was a set of useful Encyclopedia and education items for the kids PC I've just finished fixing, now it's 80's CDs, full original albums.

And this is the predicement. I know I want the DVDs and CDs, but I don't want to give money to those nasty news-less reporters or their corporation.

WHSmiths helps, of course. They stick all their old promotion DVDs/CDs for the week in a basket and let people help themselves. This means I can get at least some of them without having to get the paper at all. But the most popular ones do go. If I can grab the paper first at work then I can get the tokens from there, but sad to say I do still get the paper on a Saturday sometimes, just for the free item.

And so it continues, they feed me free items and I occassionally buy the paper, knowing that if I look at just one 'news' page, I'll be reminded why I leave it alone most of the time.
Tue 16/09/08 at 14:50
"Was the man of marz"
El Viking wrote:
> Then again, I've never read the Guardian. And not just because
> it doesn't rank my university as highly as other newspapers.

Is it also because it's mainly read by elderly, middle class lesbians (much like my mother).

Zing, zing and…

pb wrote:
> Suppose you could use them for sampling!

I’d like to sample, er!

zing?
Tue 16/09/08 at 13:39
"possibly impossible"
2002- just a number? wrote:
> pb wrote:
> The Mail tends to have the best discs though, followed by The
> Independent, which often has a good foreign or Art House movie.
>
> Also the learn a language or keyboard series are alright.
> Another bad freebie was from the Guardian (which I didn't
> actually buy), a CD that had the 20th centuries greatest
> speeches, featuring Margaret Thatcher’s the lady's not for
> turning

Suppose you could use them for sampling!
Tue 16/09/08 at 13:13
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
The Daily Telegraph had a whole selection of DVDs that were essentially about her career. I can't see what the problem is with that really, I mean it is a right-of-centre paper.

Then again, I've never read the Guardian. And not just because it doesn't rank my university as highly as other newspapers.
Tue 16/09/08 at 11:32
"Was the man of marz"
pb wrote:
> The Mail tends to have the best discs though, followed by The
> Independent, which often has a good foreign or Art House movie.

Also the learn a language or keyboard series are alright. Another bad freebie was from the Guardian (which I didn't actually buy), a CD that had the 20th centuries greatest speeches, featuring Margaret Thatcher’s the lady's not for turning
Tue 16/09/08 at 08:18
"possibly impossible"
I use the Internet for news or, of course, the news available from the company I work for, which is a source for many other news companies anyway.

The Daily Mail thing is simple. I don't buy the newspaper and don't give the money to the company. My company has a copy each day and I wait till lunch to tear out the voucher, then take it to WHSmiths or Tesco.

But most of the time WHSmiths don't even bother with a voucher for previous day's CD/DVDs, they just let you take one from any that are left from a basket near the till.

The Mail tends to have the best discs though, followed by The Independent, which often has a good foreign or Art House movie.
Mon 15/09/08 at 22:20
Regular
I don't think you're a liar pb. :)

I do read the newspaper, but it's only to keep up with current events. Thats why I knew Chaos' question about Jennifer Aniston being engaged to John Mayer was incorrect.
Mon 15/09/08 at 21:45
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
pb wrote:
> And so it continues, they feed me free items and I occassionally
> buy the paper,

pb wrote:
> hah. I don't buy the paper,

Oh pb, its just lie and after lie....

:-)
Mon 15/09/08 at 21:11
Regular
pb wrote:
> hah. I don't buy the paper, I just rip the tokens out or grab
> them from the counter of WHSmiths anyway.

Hangon, that's even worse pb :)
Mon 15/09/08 at 21:05
"possibly impossible"
hah. I don't buy the paper, I just rip the tokens out or grab them from the counter of WHSmiths anyway.
Mon 15/09/08 at 19:52
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Its certainly good to know that peoples principles are for sale at such low prices. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.