GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Disposeable chart toss."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/11/02 at 11:32
Regular
Record companies are claiming that single sales are down. Naturally, they are blaming MP3 rippers, which admittedly are part to blame, but I think I have the real reason.

Question: Who is Number 1 at the moment?

Better question: Who cares?

The singles sales are suffering because the music that are on these singles is not worth buying. Every week there is another generic manufactured pop-tart band sliding into the charts with a song that sounds exactly like the one that was chucked into our ears last week by a completely different generic pop-tart band. There was a song in the last couple of weeks that was, note for note, pattern for pattern, a Natalie Umbruglia(sp) song a while back. Identical, apart from the words.

The words. A whole new tin of dog food. Do they not have anything new to say? Every damn song is exactly the same as every damn song that the last bunch of muppets did. In fact, there is a pattern emerging...

----------------------

New band forms, full of unknown faces. The boy band has:
1x clean front man to do the verses
1x great looking guy that does the sensitive talking bit while the girls scream
1x guy that looks a bit tough, a bit tasty, a bit 'I'll 'ave you, mate!'. Generally has an ear ring.
1x token black man
1x other guy that doesnt do much but make up numbers.

They release a tune that's quite upbeat, getting school disco play to hook the kids.

They release another, similar track, that coincides with the release of the album. This is usually a cover.

They then release the slow one that shows their sensitive side. The pittle girls go crazy for the looker when he does his talking husky voice bit. Album sales soar.

They release a track that a member of the band actually wrote. Usually the 'other guy' wrote it, bringing him into popularity, and showing the band has 'talent'.

They release a crate load of lovvey duvvey stuff until the kids hear the first track of another generic band at their school disco.

They dissapear into obscurity, exept the frontman that goes onto a solo career.

-----------------

This happens every time. The pattern is exactly the same every time and there is a reason for this. The record company makes a boatload of money from it. This formula is tried and tested, and they know it's an earner.

Sales are slumping though, and it's not because of MP3's. Kids are maturing much faster than they used to, and they are outgrowing the phase of pop faster. They are wising up to the fact that this generic stuff is there purely to make money, and are now looking to follow their interest in music with artists that actually do have talent, not the talent of the record company that writes their stuff, produces their voices, buys their clothes and tells them what to say.

Could this be a contributing factor to why Metal is in at the moment? A lot of the kids in my way are wearing the slipknot hoodies. I've been chatting to a few of them, and it's a mixed return. Some are in it because it's cool, which annoys the real metallers from here to right over there, but then some of them really are into the tunes, and hate the pop world because it's generic, dull, and aimed at kids. Another sign that kids are maturing faster than ever.

So, what are the record companies doing about this?

"Why d'ya have to go and make things so complicated?
I see the way you're acting like somebody else, getting me frustrated"

Great. The record companies are getting into the scene too, flooding it with their generic crap again, but there's a twist. She plays a guitar, and there are skaters on her video. The song rakes in a crate load of money, the kids lap it up, and we are back to where we atarted, albiet with another genre of music b*stardised.

What can we do? Nothing. Chuff all.

Sucks, dunnit.

Thanks,
Slave.
Fri 15/11/02 at 11:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Nice post.
But, and please dont take this the wrong way, it reads like it's been cobbled together from about 4 different discussions already done here.
I pointed out that Avril Levigne in nothing but a pop-tart designed for sulky "I wanna be different" teens and YH talked about why single sales are falling, leading to discussions on the stale nature of the charts and people using peer-to-peer to discover new music rather than "steal" albums.

I'm not knocking yer post at all mate, just saying whilst I agree with you 100% it's all been said in the past week.
Fri 15/11/02 at 11:32
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Record companies are claiming that single sales are down. Naturally, they are blaming MP3 rippers, which admittedly are part to blame, but I think I have the real reason.

Question: Who is Number 1 at the moment?

Better question: Who cares?

The singles sales are suffering because the music that are on these singles is not worth buying. Every week there is another generic manufactured pop-tart band sliding into the charts with a song that sounds exactly like the one that was chucked into our ears last week by a completely different generic pop-tart band. There was a song in the last couple of weeks that was, note for note, pattern for pattern, a Natalie Umbruglia(sp) song a while back. Identical, apart from the words.

The words. A whole new tin of dog food. Do they not have anything new to say? Every damn song is exactly the same as every damn song that the last bunch of muppets did. In fact, there is a pattern emerging...

----------------------

New band forms, full of unknown faces. The boy band has:
1x clean front man to do the verses
1x great looking guy that does the sensitive talking bit while the girls scream
1x guy that looks a bit tough, a bit tasty, a bit 'I'll 'ave you, mate!'. Generally has an ear ring.
1x token black man
1x other guy that doesnt do much but make up numbers.

They release a tune that's quite upbeat, getting school disco play to hook the kids.

They release another, similar track, that coincides with the release of the album. This is usually a cover.

They then release the slow one that shows their sensitive side. The pittle girls go crazy for the looker when he does his talking husky voice bit. Album sales soar.

They release a track that a member of the band actually wrote. Usually the 'other guy' wrote it, bringing him into popularity, and showing the band has 'talent'.

They release a crate load of lovvey duvvey stuff until the kids hear the first track of another generic band at their school disco.

They dissapear into obscurity, exept the frontman that goes onto a solo career.

-----------------

This happens every time. The pattern is exactly the same every time and there is a reason for this. The record company makes a boatload of money from it. This formula is tried and tested, and they know it's an earner.

Sales are slumping though, and it's not because of MP3's. Kids are maturing much faster than they used to, and they are outgrowing the phase of pop faster. They are wising up to the fact that this generic stuff is there purely to make money, and are now looking to follow their interest in music with artists that actually do have talent, not the talent of the record company that writes their stuff, produces their voices, buys their clothes and tells them what to say.

Could this be a contributing factor to why Metal is in at the moment? A lot of the kids in my way are wearing the slipknot hoodies. I've been chatting to a few of them, and it's a mixed return. Some are in it because it's cool, which annoys the real metallers from here to right over there, but then some of them really are into the tunes, and hate the pop world because it's generic, dull, and aimed at kids. Another sign that kids are maturing faster than ever.

So, what are the record companies doing about this?

"Why d'ya have to go and make things so complicated?
I see the way you're acting like somebody else, getting me frustrated"

Great. The record companies are getting into the scene too, flooding it with their generic crap again, but there's a twist. She plays a guitar, and there are skaters on her video. The song rakes in a crate load of money, the kids lap it up, and we are back to where we atarted, albiet with another genre of music b*stardised.

What can we do? Nothing. Chuff all.

Sucks, dunnit.

Thanks,
Slave.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.