GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Disposeable chart toss."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/11/02 at 11:32
Regular
Record companies are claiming that single sales are down. Naturally, they are blaming MP3 rippers, which admittedly are part to blame, but I think I have the real reason.

Question: Who is Number 1 at the moment?

Better question: Who cares?

The singles sales are suffering because the music that are on these singles is not worth buying. Every week there is another generic manufactured pop-tart band sliding into the charts with a song that sounds exactly like the one that was chucked into our ears last week by a completely different generic pop-tart band. There was a song in the last couple of weeks that was, note for note, pattern for pattern, a Natalie Umbruglia(sp) song a while back. Identical, apart from the words.

The words. A whole new tin of dog food. Do they not have anything new to say? Every damn song is exactly the same as every damn song that the last bunch of muppets did. In fact, there is a pattern emerging...

----------------------

New band forms, full of unknown faces. The boy band has:
1x clean front man to do the verses
1x great looking guy that does the sensitive talking bit while the girls scream
1x guy that looks a bit tough, a bit tasty, a bit 'I'll 'ave you, mate!'. Generally has an ear ring.
1x token black man
1x other guy that doesnt do much but make up numbers.

They release a tune that's quite upbeat, getting school disco play to hook the kids.

They release another, similar track, that coincides with the release of the album. This is usually a cover.

They then release the slow one that shows their sensitive side. The pittle girls go crazy for the looker when he does his talking husky voice bit. Album sales soar.

They release a track that a member of the band actually wrote. Usually the 'other guy' wrote it, bringing him into popularity, and showing the band has 'talent'.

They release a crate load of lovvey duvvey stuff until the kids hear the first track of another generic band at their school disco.

They dissapear into obscurity, exept the frontman that goes onto a solo career.

-----------------

This happens every time. The pattern is exactly the same every time and there is a reason for this. The record company makes a boatload of money from it. This formula is tried and tested, and they know it's an earner.

Sales are slumping though, and it's not because of MP3's. Kids are maturing much faster than they used to, and they are outgrowing the phase of pop faster. They are wising up to the fact that this generic stuff is there purely to make money, and are now looking to follow their interest in music with artists that actually do have talent, not the talent of the record company that writes their stuff, produces their voices, buys their clothes and tells them what to say.

Could this be a contributing factor to why Metal is in at the moment? A lot of the kids in my way are wearing the slipknot hoodies. I've been chatting to a few of them, and it's a mixed return. Some are in it because it's cool, which annoys the real metallers from here to right over there, but then some of them really are into the tunes, and hate the pop world because it's generic, dull, and aimed at kids. Another sign that kids are maturing faster than ever.

So, what are the record companies doing about this?

"Why d'ya have to go and make things so complicated?
I see the way you're acting like somebody else, getting me frustrated"

Great. The record companies are getting into the scene too, flooding it with their generic crap again, but there's a twist. She plays a guitar, and there are skaters on her video. The song rakes in a crate load of money, the kids lap it up, and we are back to where we atarted, albiet with another genre of music b*stardised.

What can we do? Nothing. Chuff all.

Sucks, dunnit.

Thanks,
Slave.
Mon 18/11/02 at 12:32
Regular
"bing bang bong"
It's amazing isn't it.

We used to deride Take That and East 17 as talentless, boy-band $%#"! that any manufactured group of 20 year olds could make.

Then the record companies upped and proved us wrong, that no, in fact they are musical gods compared to what the likes of Pete Waterman can dream up on a good day.

Hell, even the Spice Girls would prop up todays charts.
Mon 18/11/02 at 10:12
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
BEARDS. wrote:
> Never refer to Slipknot as "metal" in my presence again.

not to start something, but more constructively debate...

why? is it the outfits? the kid-interest? at the end if the day they may dress like gimps and appeal to kids rebelling against their parents but they do make some heavy stuff and the drummer has serious talent.
Sun 17/11/02 at 18:35
Just like the rest of you here I HATE the generic chart rubbish. It's always looks that count to the kids anyway. Me personally, I don't give a damn what anyone looks like cos to me its always the music that counts. I happen to think Avril Lavigne is great. I'm not a dopey little kid taken in by record company antics either, I'm in my thirties. I mostly listen to AOR/MHR stuff and Avril is just a modern form of this, in my opinion. She even gets mentioned on the best website around, melodicrock.com, thats how I discovered her anyway. Like I said before I don't care for the rubbish in the charts anyway.
Sun 17/11/02 at 11:54
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Never refer to Slipknot as "metal" in my presence again. Of all the words I could use to describe them, almost all are blocked by the censor and none are "metal".
Fri 15/11/02 at 14:53
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
Really liked the token black guy part
when will people realise that pc is bullshoite
and no it doesn't sell more records
and no just because "Andrew Pennington from Wigan" is black doesn't mean he adds *soul* or a "new dimension" to the group
Fri 15/11/02 at 13:23
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
Slaveunit wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> I think you have just described Blue.
>
> Or, in fact, any other boy band in the charts at the mo, and that was
> my point. The reason sales are slumping is not because of MP3 ripping,
> it's because we have seen it all before and don't care anymore.

or the hillarious excuse for a band E-male a 4 membered boy band from the late 90's whose only attempt to distinguish themselves from the other load of boy bands, all trying to get in on some of the action after the departure of take that and the fading away east 17, was that all of the band was wearing skates for their appearances on tv show such as blue peter.
My sister found their cd in the bargain bucket at a music store along with some music tape with hunter the gladiator singing on it
LOL
Fri 15/11/02 at 13:08
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Sorry Slave, I didnt mean for that to sound like I was pointing my finger and being all "Oi!".
I only mentioned it because I love to reply to these sorts of topics, but I was all talked about it.

"cobbled together" is the wrong phrase, sorry. It should have been "reminds me of previous topics".
Fri 15/11/02 at 13:06
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
cookie monster wrote:
> I think you have just described Blue.

Or, in fact, any other boy band in the charts at the mo, and that was my point. The reason sales are slumping is not because of MP3 ripping, it's because we have seen it all before and don't care anymore.
Fri 15/11/02 at 12:54
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Slaveunit wrote:
> New band forms, full of unknown faces. The boy band has:
> 1x clean front man to do the verses
> 1x great looking guy that does the sensitive talking bit while the
> girls scream
> 1x guy that looks a bit tough, a bit tasty, a bit 'I'll 'ave you,
> mate!'. Generally has an ear ring.
> 1x token black man
> 1x other guy that doesnt do much but make up numbers.

I think you have just described Blue.
Fri 15/11/02 at 12:52
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Cheers GB, it started out at a rant about the repetition in the sequence, but I just kept going. I diddn't know that that was her name, well, i kinda did, but diddn't read the posts cos I don't care for it. I diddn't mean to do all that stuff about the new trend for slipknot either, it just kinda came out.

It's not cobbled from the others cause I havent really been reading them, which'll teach me to read other posts before i go off on one i suppose.

Cheers anyway, gb. it's nice to hear 'nice post' from you cause i know you know your music as well as i do.

(smarm, slime....)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.