GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"10th September - could be the end! (or the start...) CERN LHC"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/09/08 at 09:45
"Are you sure?"
The Large Hadron Collider, the world's biggest physics experiment gets switched on this Wednesday.

The Collider, built at the CERN laboratory (near Geneva),
is a 27Km particle accelerator - it will send protons travelling at 99.99% of the speed of light round the Collider to, well, 'collide'!
Then scientists will then study what happens...

(NB. When I switch my torch on, the light is travelling at 100% of the speed of light...)

They are trying to understand the building blocks of matter, and, in particular(sic), "trying to find a mechanism that can explain why matter has mass".

Some doom and gloom merchants are predicting the creation of mini black-holes into which the world will collapse!

The scale and 'facts and figures' of the equipment at CERN is certainly impressive - they've really gone to town and spent some money here.
The CERN website is worth a look if you are interested.

I'm hoping the black-hole theory is rubbish and the 'egg heads' will end up solving the worlds energy crisis (if there's any left when they switch this thing on) or something else will be discovered to help us all :¬)

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 24/09/08 at 22:20
Regular
"eat toast!"
what a disappointment, i was expecting results. Now we have to wait till next yeah.

WHAT THE HELL?! I CAN'T WAIT TILL AFTER CHRISTMAS FOR THE RESULTS! CHRISTMAS SUCKS SO MUCH COMPARED TO THE LHC!!!

yes, i'm sulking immensely.
Wed 24/09/08 at 20:27
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
Little Helium Catastrophe
Wed 24/09/08 at 18:37
"Was the man of marz"
Just thought I'd give this thread a purpose, CERN has been damaged (again)

EDIT; with a little more info
Mon 08/09/08 at 12:58
"Are you sure?"
Still available on BBC iPlayer: The Big Bang Machine

"Professor Brian Cox visits Geneva to take a look around Cern's Large Hadron Collider before this vast, 27km long machine is sealed-off and the experiment to create the simulation of a black hole begins.

When it's up and running, it will be capable of creating the conditions that existed just a billionth of a second after the Big Bang. Brian joins the scientists who hope that the LHC will change our understanding of the early universe and solve some of its mysteries.
"

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 08/09/08 at 12:27
Regular
Mon 08/09/08 at 11:48
Regular
"Mooching around"
The light in your torch isn't travelling at quite 100% the speed of light, is it?

I remember asking my physics teacher why gravity existed, what a foolish question to ask and get a 1 hour lecture just to end up at the answer "We don't know". :)

Still, there are many particle accelerators running, that run a 1/5000 chance of creating a mini-black hole that could be stable enough to swallow the Earth in seconds. Fun fun.
Mon 08/09/08 at 10:04
"Are you sure?"
pb wrote:
> A bit late hmmm...

Doh... I had a look around before I posted as well!
It was a few days ago and buried.

Feel free to merge my post etc.

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 08/09/08 at 09:57
"possibly impossible"
A bit late hmmm...

See thread here

:D
Mon 08/09/08 at 09:55
Regular
I read about this a while back (this project has been ongoing for like 20 years!!) it amazes me how much everyone sensationalizes the fact that we are all going to die (haha that sounds stupid). There have been countless reports and investigations into the project and the vast majority of the scientific community is sure there is nothing to worry about. I guess it just annoys me a bit when tabloids pick up on the stupidest aspect and make it seem like it's going to happen.

The actual project itself is pretty intense, as you say the shear scale of everything involved is amazing and I don't doubt some of the breakthroughs this project may make could be quite exciting. (Don't get me wrong I've no real understanding of what's going on but from what I've been reading it is exciting stuff).
Mon 08/09/08 at 09:45
"Are you sure?"
The Large Hadron Collider, the world's biggest physics experiment gets switched on this Wednesday.

The Collider, built at the CERN laboratory (near Geneva),
is a 27Km particle accelerator - it will send protons travelling at 99.99% of the speed of light round the Collider to, well, 'collide'!
Then scientists will then study what happens...

(NB. When I switch my torch on, the light is travelling at 100% of the speed of light...)

They are trying to understand the building blocks of matter, and, in particular(sic), "trying to find a mechanism that can explain why matter has mass".

Some doom and gloom merchants are predicting the creation of mini black-holes into which the world will collapse!

The scale and 'facts and figures' of the equipment at CERN is certainly impressive - they've really gone to town and spent some money here.
The CERN website is worth a look if you are interested.

I'm hoping the black-hole theory is rubbish and the 'egg heads' will end up solving the worlds energy crisis (if there's any left when they switch this thing on) or something else will be discovered to help us all :¬)

Search Freeola Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.