GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Religion - is it okay to pick and choose what to believe?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/09/08 at 10:55
Regular
It confuses me how some religious people can pick and choose what they want to believe in. Surely you don't have a choice?

I have lots of family and friends who are religious. Infact I was brought up a christian and went to a C of E primary school. One thing I notice a lot is how they pick and choose what they want to believe and what they don't want to believe. Is this common amongst christians and catholics in this country?

Are you still catholic if you have sex before marriage? Are you still a christian if you're gay? How can you be catholic and believe in horoscopes? Is it possible for you to believe in evolution and still be religious? Or be a big science fiction nerd? :D Or even follow a religion created by a big science fiction nerd?
Sun 07/09/08 at 11:30
"Was the man of marz"
Machie wrote:
> This reminds me of a late night debate show with on ITV (might
> have been just Central). Lots of people shouting their opinions
> at each other with that guy from WatchDog (Nick Something) trying
> to calm everyone down.

That does ring a bell. Was there an episode with soap actresses, being told by fat blokes that their jobs where basically useless (as apposed to only appearing on topical shows that are so bad they can only be broadcast when no one's likely to watch them). My favourite was lottery winners, being by others that they where in fact poor, because they didn't have religion in their lives.
Sat 06/09/08 at 22:09
Regular
The sad thing is there are lots of Americans (well not just Americans) like this today. I remember watching some debates on TV here and it wasn't so different. I wonder if its on YouTube aswell.

This reminds me of a late night debate show with on ITV (might have been just Central). Lots of people shouting their opinions at each other with that guy from WatchDog (Nick Something) trying to calm everyone down.
Sat 06/09/08 at 21:56
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Indeed, Karl Marx was an evolutionist and a communist, therefore all evolutionists are communists. Brilliant
Sat 06/09/08 at 21:47
Regular
Nin wrote:
> You know those people we're referring to...
>
> i'm
> speechless

"Evolution is a route to atheism and communism."

"Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!"
Sat 06/09/08 at 20:29
Regular
"Monochromatic"
You know those people we're referring to...

i'm speechless
Fri 05/09/08 at 18:49
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
pb wrote:
> Sounds pretty much exactly what those students were like in the
> church group at University. Honestly, they were nuts and winding
> them up was a pleasure.

Sounds like the far-left people I occasionally come into contact with at Uni!

But those sort of religious people... proclaiming something as truth due to having blind faith in it, and then evangelising, it really is the blind leading the blind.

But it isn't always funny, someone who decided to quit the fundraising work I was also involved in knew they'd have to work Saturdays, but refused to due to seventh-day adventist beliefs or something. That's just idiotic, really.

I'm proud to be a Pastafarian. Even if my Facebook profile lists Heavy Metal as my religion, as it's the nearest thing I have to a religion!
Fri 05/09/08 at 18:00
Regular
That is the question though really and it does depend on your faith and how you choose to follow your religion. For example, Evangelical Christians and Orthodox Jews who for the most part follow scripture to the letter and whose lives are governed by certain religious practices (obviously highlighted by Kosher food for Jews and prayers to Mekkah in Islam)

People follow depending on their strength of belief in the religion and how much it encourages following certain rituals and routines daily. Some Christians follow because they believe in the concept of a Heaven, some because it's how they were brought up and others have a strong conviction all of the Bible is either true or a metaphor for something else which God caused to happen

Personally, I see it as hypocritical to follow a religion where certain passages of scripture are devoutly followed while the parts that seem very difficult to verify are passed off as metaphors and analogies. However, it's only the fanatical believers this is really an issue with
Fri 05/09/08 at 08:28
"possibly impossible"
Sounds pretty much exactly what those students were like in the church group at University. Honestly, they were nuts and winding them up was a pleasure.

This is the problem, the few give the rest a bad name! At the end of the day, though, it should be up to you to ask yourself what you believe in and why. It's always healthy to question things, whatever viewpoint you have.

Blindly believing that there 100% isn't anything out there is the same as those who 100% believe the opposite without question. Assuming there is nothing out there due to lack of evidence is a more sensible option, though not my own personal belief.
Thu 04/09/08 at 18:50
Regular
"Monochromatic"
The key word in that quote is "blindly", as in without questioning and it's clearly aimed at those Flanderesque people who for refer to the bible/koran/etc constantly instead of thinking for themselves. Clearly not moderate religious people.
I knew such a person while in school (his religion is irrelevant) who frustrated me incredibly by constantly and unquestionally referring to his book of prayer at every point. He was essentially an unquestioning slave to the system instead of being his own person. The conversation would go

"So what do you think about this"
"Well the book of ... says"
"Yeah but what do you think"

It wasnt even a case of him saying "I believe this book" he simply presented passages of text as fact and thats all he could do even when a counter-point was presented. There was no room for him to grow, progress or even consider any way of life outside his book.
Thu 04/09/08 at 18:02
"possibly impossible"
Nin wrote:
>
> "When we blindly adopt a famous quote, a political system, a
> literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to
> grow."

> Anais Nin (almost)

:D

hm. I think I'd have to disagree with that statement wholeheartedly. It's far too black and white for my liking. It's like saying if you adopt any set of rules that govern how society works together you are not capable of free thought, rubbish!

Religion in itself is perfectly able to sit comfortably next to free thinking and debate. Only some organised religions or parts of one organised religion are cause for concern. Certainly in the churches and religious people I have known in my life (from Methodist ministers to Jewish Rabbis and others) I have seen people who are capable of thinking for themselves and accepting that there are possibilities for their holy books to be wrong or certainly interpreted in different ways.

Yes, there are always going to be those who are fundamentally too thick headed to understand the nuances of how their holy books were written and what religion really means, I've had particularly bad experiences with Student groups that I've wound up to the point of them throwing me out (I was only there because I was intrigued how they worked), but I’ve not come across too many of these in the grand scheme of things (pun intended).

Going back to the original point – yes, it’s perfectly fine to pick and choose if you can justify why you do this. Ultimately, it’s very healthy to take a good look at the history of religions and ask why things are the way they are. To dismiss something so big because part of it doesn’t make sense is like throwing away an apple because it has a small bruise.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.