GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"September 10th - The End of the World?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/09/08 at 14:02
"possibly impossible"
Article

CERN, the particle-physics center, will flick the switch on it’s Large Hadron Collider (LHC) on September 10th. This might not mean much to you, but it’s had a fair number of people worried for a while.

The idea is that by using this machine, scientists hope to find the ‘god particle’ or Higgs boson which will take particle physics into new directions and may give them the answers to research in to Black Holes, dimesional possibility and many other exciting prospects.

But what has really hit the news is the research (sometimes not quite scientific) that shows what could really happen if things go wrong. The most prolific of these ideas is that the LHC would create a Black Hole big enough to start swallowing the Earth. To show what this could be like, some inventive mind has put this together.

Other internet sites worth a read, if only for comedic value, such as this one spell out several ways we could be wiped out.

But the scientists who run the project are 100% confident that none of this is possible and the research will create very little in the way of harmful effects for the Earth. After all, what can go wrong with a prototype device and unknown science?
Tue 09/09/08 at 23:45
Regular
Marzman wrote:
> Grix Thraves wrote:
> 2..1..beep
>
> Nothing happens.
>
> "Oh.. sorry, forget what I just said. Fancy a drink?"
>
> Apparently initially they will just be running tests (as you
> would), then if it all goes well, the actual experiments will
> begin in the coming months. Also hasn’t a lot of the opposition
> come from religious groups, who believe it’s wrong to look into
> creation, which seems a bit odd as if you’re so confident about
> your origins then wouldn’t you welcome research that may disprove
> a theory that’s at odds with yours. Maybe this would take far
> too much faith, understanding, logical thinking to actually be
> feasible.

Yah, discovered the first bit recently, not sure where the majority of opposition is coming from but it'd be nice to hear logical complaints instead of moral ones.

The main point I think is that when the protons actually hit each other, which like you said, probably won't be for a while, then THEN something might happen. But of course the newspapers have VERY intelligently decided to make us all worry for tomorrow, and once we don't all die, nobody will bother thinking about it again, get on with life, and THEN we'll die unexpectedly and nobody will care because nobody got them worried about it. Phew!

Still, I really do hope we discover something.
Tue 09/09/08 at 22:35
Regular
"eat toast!"
right, what do you guys think we'll discover? Hopefully we will discover how to produce any element or anything like producing chocolate without the need to mix all the ingriedients together. It will draw from the air the resources to produce the elements and merge them into one all at once without needing to process it.

Or maybe something similar in supreme commander where we simply laser in the whole thing ready and waiting. Ah great times producing an army of robots in minuates and watching the entire army die in less then a minuate.
Tue 09/09/08 at 11:56
"Was the man of marz"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> 2..1..beep
>
> Nothing happens.
>
> "Oh.. sorry, forget what I just said. Fancy a drink?"

Apparently initially they will just be running tests (as you would), then if it all goes well, the actual experiments will begin in the coming months. Also hasn’t a lot of the opposition come from religious groups, who believe it’s wrong to look into creation, which seems a bit odd as if you’re so confident about your origins then wouldn’t you welcome research that may disprove a theory that’s at odds with yours. Maybe this would take far too much faith, understanding, logical thinking to actually be feasible.
Mon 08/09/08 at 22:36
Regular
"eat toast!"
i doubt it'll destroy the human race. I'm more interested in what it can discover. If it can tell us how to produce anything like metals out of thin air, we might have discovered a sustainable resource. Hell we might even be able to produce...mass drivers or something.
Mon 08/09/08 at 19:48
Regular
Ah yes, a project I've been very interested in since I first heard about its development several years ago.

I'm not worried about it destroying the universe, throughout history when people have been moving into new areas of research and tampering with the unknown, there's always been a large contingent of those doomsayers.

When the atomic bomb was first tested, a group of scientists were taking bets on whether it would cause a chain reaction that would destroy the earth. My belief is that we need to push the boundaries of the known universe like this to get a step closer to seeing the 'big picture'.

I for one can't wait to see what amazing discoveries we make with this thing!
Mon 08/09/08 at 12:24
Regular
I welcome our complete and total destruction!

Fingers crossed it doesn't though. There's a tv programme I want to watch Wednesday night.

Wouldn't it be lovely if everyone counts down and says "OMG we really could all die! I need to come clean about everything! I love you! I hate you! Go away! Come here! Let's live life! Let's do what we want!"

2..1..beep

Nothing happens.

"Oh.. sorry, forget what I just said. Fancy a drink?"
Mon 08/09/08 at 09:55
"possibly impossible"
I'm sure they've assessed the risks. But then again...
Wed 03/09/08 at 16:39
Regular
"Monochromatic"
This kind of stuff makes me nervous, especially when the scientists involved have basically said

"Yeah it could destroy everything but it's unlikely"

Unlikely isn't bloody impossible though, is it? Any risk is an unnecessary risk in this case.
Wed 03/09/08 at 16:07
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
>Marzman wrote:
(even if it's the only one with life).

that we know of
*turns on smoke machine and plays spooky music*

I'm sure they wont screw it up though, and if they do, they'll be the talk of the planet for the rest of our lives :P
Wed 03/09/08 at 14:32
"Was the man of marz"
Tricey wrote:
> "Oops, forgot to carry the one!"

They've already done so. They got their sums wrong early on in 2007 and caused a load of damage (although the suggestion at the time was that this was sabotage). I did a little research a while ago and found archived articles dating back to 1999 saying the same thing was going to happen with similar experiments.

It was just interesting to hear exactly the same arguments being repeated, when there was clearly no threat in the past, and even if there is I'm sure the universe won't miss one insignificant planet (even if it's the only one with life).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.