GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New PC / Laptop advice needed."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/09/08 at 10:04
Regular
Ok, I've currently got an Athlon XP 2100 machine with 512 RAM and a PCI graphics card. It takes a while ot boot up, but once it's going, it's not too bad with general windows stuff - office, internet etc. However, running Photoshop CS 2 is ridiculous. It takes an age to simple load 1 raw file.

Dell have got an offer on at the moment, £210 delivered for a Dual-Core 2GHz with 2GB RAM. How much of a difference will I notice, going over to this machine? I want to try and keep WinXP has I've heard that CS2 has issues on Vista, and I'm not going to upgrade to CS2.

It's either that or I get a laptop, purely for photo work, and keep the current PC for internet office etc. My budget is up to £300.

Any advice much appreciated.
Tue 02/09/08 at 19:27
Regular
Thanks for the links. I guess what I'm a bit concerned with is buying a machine, which doesn't seem to actually run anything any quicker that I have now.

I don't have just a WinXP disk, so sticking that on a machine isn't an option. I could buy winxp but that seems to by around £50-£60 and I'd rather spend that money to upgrade a machine to run Vista properly.
Tue 02/09/08 at 16:28
"Was the man of marz"
pb wrote:
> Yes, if you can stand getting it from Currys, then they have
> reconditioned laptops as well.

What is it everyone hates about Currys, I mean I did feel like punching the sales assistant who offered me a warranty that cost more than the item I was buying, but that's just my temperament.

On a serious note, PCworld (although I've never brought from them) seem to be a bit better price wise. I remember seeing a reconditioned compaq laptop with a new price of £700, going for £150. Right now I'm eyeing up their blu-ray laptops. Also check Dixons as they have the same stock as Currys but sometimes have better web prices.
Tue 02/09/08 at 15:53
"possibly impossible"
Tue 02/09/08 at 15:52
"possibly impossible"
Some nice Laptops for under £300 . Full guarantee as well.
Tue 02/09/08 at 14:50
Regular
Ok, cheers for the info.
Tue 02/09/08 at 14:19
"possibly impossible"
Yes, if you can stand getting it from Currys, then they have reconditioned laptops as well.
Tue 02/09/08 at 13:59
"Was the man of marz"
YH wrote:
> The portability of a laptop might be handy, it would mean when
> either me or the other half are using it, we don't have to
> be tucked away in the spare room.

To avoid the performance issues you're having now, you'll need a laptop with a dedicated graphic card. I have heard of people picking up laptops with 256MB independent graphics for £300, although I think it'll take some bargain hunting. Pb mentioned recon-units for desktops, but also have a look at laptops (although it’s usually a case of slim-pickings).
Tue 02/09/08 at 13:18
Regular
I don't think it's got an AGP slot. It's about 5 years old, and wasn't a top spec when I got it. It's a Time machine, so I don't have XP on a disc, just a fully Time backup disc thing. I've already upgraded RAM, from 256 to 512.

The portability of a laptop might be handy, it would mean when either me or the other half are using it, we don't have to be tucked away in the spare room. I don't at the moment, nor will can I ever see the need to take it out of the house.
Tue 02/09/08 at 13:07
"possibly impossible"
Garin wrote:
> pb wrote:
> Oh, and they all come with Vista these days, but you could
> quite
> easily format the drive and install XP instead if you have an
> OEM
> disc with you current PC (as opposed to a recovery disc that
> most
> come with these days).
>
> You cant always do this, lots of vendors dont bother creating XP
> drivers for their Vista laptops anymore.

Really? That's pretty bad for anyone who doesn't like Vista or needs to use XP for compatibility.
Tue 02/09/08 at 13:06
"Was the man of marz"
YH wrote:
> Ok, I've currently got an Athlon XP 2100 machine with 512 RAM and
> a PCI graphics card.

What graphics card is it? If it isn't very good then maybe just upgrading it will be a better option (doesn't your computer have an AGP slot anyway?).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.