GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Machie's Common Courtesy Lesson 1"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/08/08 at 22:29
Regular
When you're sitting on a bus or train and you notice a pregnant woman/elderly person or a mother with an infant getting on, please stand up and offer your seat. Especially if you're sitting at the front where there are signs advising you to do so.

There have been times I would be sitting by the window in the middle of the bus and have to ask the person next to me if I could get up so I could offer my seat to an old lady standing at the front because all the kids down there wouldn't budge.

Its much worse in Singapore, but then thats a city so it's probably the same in London (Nin?). When the MRT (tube) got busy, all the seats would be taken up and even if you were a pregnant old lady with an infant I don't think anyone would have offered you a seat. Well there were some who'd offer but the majority of the time, everyone just ignored everyone else. Sometimes I would offer my seat to an elderly person and have to stop people trying to pinch it as soon as I got up. They just didn't care. :/

So thats lesson 1, keep an eye out for lesson 2: If you must call someone during a coach trip, make it short, do not chat for half an hour and then make another phone call because that just ticks me off!
Thu 28/08/08 at 15:19
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Bullcrap! Ken was the guy we needed to actually bring in necessary stuff that wasnt popular. Boris is just a populist clown.
Thu 28/08/08 at 17:35
"Was the man of marz"
Nin wrote:
> Bullcrap! Ken was the guy we needed to actually bring in
> necessary stuff that wasnt popular.

So it was necessary for poorer people to subsidise travel of city workers? I couldn't believe it when bus fares went from 80 pence, up to a quid, then back down by 10p. The end result is that those who travel into the centre pay less whilst the people in Greater London pay more. I can see why that would be unpopular.

I agree with you on Johnson, although a wife-beating ameba could have beaten Livingstone. Personally and professionally the man was a disgrace.
Thu 28/08/08 at 18:18
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Marzman wrote:
> So it was necessary for poorer people to subsidise travel of
> city workers?

More details please

> I couldn't believe it when bus fares went from 80
> pence, up to a quid, then back down by 10p.

90p is bloody cheap in this day and age. Try getting a bus outside London for that price

> The end result is
> that those who travel into the centre pay less whilst the people
> in Greater London pay more. I can see why that would be
> unpopular.

What? Pricing on the buses is a flat rate across the entirety of London. The only increase for those in Greater London in when it comes to the trains and the area system, which i suppose is a pain but it's a logical system, the further you go the more you pay.
As far as the congestion charge, i'm all for it. People complain about it being too high without realising that thats the whole point, you're not supposed to like paying it.
Thu 28/08/08 at 19:06
"Was the man of marz"
Nin wrote:
> More details please

Before the 31st of January 2003 a single bus fare in greater London was 60p and £1 in zone one. This was raised to 70 then 80 pence by the time oyster cards where introduced at which point cash fares sky rocketed (for those not wanting to have their journeys tracked). The sneaky move was when prices where normalised across the capital at a quid, but then a while after lowered by 10 pence.

> 90p is bloody cheap in this day and age. Try getting a bus
> outside London for that price

If you pay cash then it’s two quid, which I know is a lot more than smaller towns.

> As far as the congestion charge, i'm all for it. People complain
> about it being too high without realising that thats the whole
> point, you're not supposed to like paying it.

I think £8 is unreasonable, with the old price of a fiver being fairer, although at least with Ken gone gas-guzzlers won’t get charged his planned £25 (which’s extortionate). My feeling is that we should all be riding round on economical, limited mopeds like in continental Europe, plus those that need a car shouldn’t be allowed something much bigger than an Mazda MX-5 with the narrow nature of the roads in Britain.
Thu 28/08/08 at 19:10
Regular
Mostly, I can't be asked. They aren't grateful enough anyway.
Thu 28/08/08 at 19:18
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Marzman wrote:
> Before the 31st of January 2003 a single bus fare in greater
> London was 60p and £1 in zone one. This was raised to 70
> then 80 pence by the time oyster cards where introduced at which
> point cash fares sky rocketed (for those not wanting to have
> their journeys tracked). The sneaky move was when prices where
> normalised across the capital at a quid, but then a while after
> lowered by 10 pence.

Thats called inflation.
As far as having journeys tracked, the system isnt run by TFL, it's on an outside contract. Cynic

> 90p is bloody cheap in this day and age. Try getting a bus
> outside London for that price
>
> If you pay cash then it’s two quid, which I know is a lot more
> than smaller towns.

Fact is the cheapest price on the buses is 90p. If people choose to pay cash it's their own fault. I lived in Slough for about 4 years and their bus prices were 1.40 single and £2 plus for a return, with no cheaper option. It's been the same wherever i go.

> As far as the congestion charge, i'm all for it. People
> complain
> about it being too high without realising that thats the whole
> point, you're not supposed to like paying it.
>
> I think £8 is unreasonable, with the old price of a fiver
> being fairer, although at least with Ken gone gas-guzzlers won’t
> get charged his planned £25 (which’s extortionate). My
> feeling is that we should all be riding round on economical,
> limited mopeds like in continental Europe, plus those that need a
> car shouldn’t be allowed something much bigger than an Mazda MX-5
> with the narrow nature of the roads in Britain.

It's not about being fair, it's supposed to be a deterrent. Frankly if they charged £20 a vehicle i wouldnt object because the whole point is to stop cars going into London. If they called it the congestion fine instead of the congestion charge, maybe people would understand it.
Thu 28/08/08 at 19:28
Regular
You probably would if you had a car?
Thu 28/08/08 at 19:46
Regular
"Monochromatic"
No, i'm not one of those people who change their opinions depending on how it works out for them.
Fri 29/08/08 at 00:09
Regular
Nin wrote:
> Thats called inflation.

Then why didn't the price of Zone 1 increase, and go down instead?
Fri 29/08/08 at 08:47
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Because Zone 1 was already at the required price. There needed to be a flat rate across the entirety of London because the system was unnecessarily complicated, unmanagable and difficult for the tourists to understand. There used to be different prices depending on how many stops you wanted and it was unenforcable so now it's 90p, whether it's 1 stop or 20.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.