GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD Troubles"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/12/00 at 21:47
Regular
what dvd's have caused any of you trouble? only TWINE caused it for me...but sony are aware that twine is a film that does not work properly
Tue 12/12/00 at 18:59
Regular
I hope we will be able to play all regions, though the special features don`t seem that thin on the only DVD I have. (Gladiator)
Tue 12/12/00 at 14:20
Hell I'm pretty thick skinned and have a sense of humor anyway. I'm more concerned about being an old fart, to me "youth culture" is ABBA and Rod Stewart. Guess I'd better make out my will before it's too late...so who wants the PS2? :-)

Well you can't have it...it's mine...MINE. [manic laughter]

Seriously. None of the DVD region workarounds for the JAP and US models work with the UK/Euro model. There is a lot of activity in the hacking scene to produce a modchip, although this won't sort out the regional encoding. It's said this will come later as it's a BIOS hack or something, and it's also suggested that the RGB is also broken at the BIOS level and as such could be potentially restored. We live in hope.

Richard (the old fart)
Tue 12/12/00 at 09:03
Regular
"not dead"
richard hawley wrote:
> irregular wrote:
> > Your name, Richard Hawley, rings a bell. I think you might
> share a
> > name with one of the Longpigs...
>
> Almost afraid to ask, but what is a "Longpig" (I'm
> assuming it doesn't literally mean an elongated piggy)?
>
> And is it good or bad :-)
>

It wasn't meant to be offensive or anything. The Longpigs are a band, and the guitarist is called Richard Hawley.
Not a bad person to share a name with.

Whilst on the subject of DVD's are you all aware that you will soon be able to win a dvd of your choice from filmaday?

(BTW changed my name again!)
Mon 11/12/00 at 23:20
Regular
Either that or my ex-girlfriend moving faster than light.
(No offense to her of course!)
Mon 11/12/00 at 20:12
Regular
Its a string of sausages.
Mon 11/12/00 at 17:53
irregular wrote:
> Your name, Richard Hawley, rings a bell. I think you might share a
> name with one of the Longpigs...

Almost afraid to ask, but what is a "Longpig" (I'm assuming it doesn't literally mean an elongated piggy)?

And is it good or bad :-)

I've worked on a few games here and there, written the odd strategy guide...don't want to stray off-topic and upset the regulars :-)

Richard
Mon 11/12/00 at 14:53
Regular
"not dead"
Your name, Richard Hawley, rings a bell. I think you might share a name with one of the Longpigs...
Mon 11/12/00 at 14:31
Ahhh, I thought I was doing something wrong.

I've been watching a BBC DVD "The Planets" (one of the very few R2 discs I have) which is anamorphic and I thought it wasn't cropped even though I'd changed the screen ratio setting to 4:3.

Thunderbirds DVDs are all in 4:3 anyway so they look fine, but yeah, it does seem that the players screen ration setting has no effect (along with the lack of RGB output thanks to the lack of implementing Craprovision in software). I've not tried the optical DTS output yet...do I dare?

Personally, I think anyone who buys a PS2 to use as a DVD player needs their head examining. There are players priced at 150 quid that do a better job.

Oh to be on the "bleeding edge" of technology. Good job there are great games to take your mind of it eh? And after all, thats what it's really all about.

Bring on the games.

Regards y'all,
Richard.
Mon 11/12/00 at 14:05
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
i have watched several DVDs on my ps2 with absolutley no problems what so ever
Mon 11/12/00 at 14:02
It may be part of the DVD experience , but I don't want it !
As previously mentioned, I do not like 'widescreen' and would rather have a normal 4:3 telly. That said, I appreciate others do want this and DVDs will be produced accordingly.

However, it says in the manual that I should be able to choose how I watch a widescreen production, i.e. with the sides chopped off or in a 'letterbox' window.
This is what I cannot get to work . hence people end up stretched vertically which is *really* annoying.

Coupled with the crappy composite cable vs green screen and the lip-sync problems I would have to disagree with the main and say I am disappointed with the DVD feature of PS2.

It may be crisp (ish) , but there are some fundamental flaws.

PS - Does *anyone* know how to adjust the thing to get it in a letterbox or similar , the manual tells lies ! Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.