GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Silly Little Girl"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/10/02 at 09:40
Regular
I've been hearing someone called Avril Levigne (sp?) all over the radio and everyone raving about her. Seems like Alanis Morisette-lite to this bloke.
To the extent that the verses actually remind me of a Morrisette song called "You live, you learn".

*shrugs* Anyhoo, her record company are trying to promote her as a genuine, tortured fem-angst artist blah blah. And today I saw her video.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Can you say "Contrived Corporate Posturing"? She's about 16, nice clean skate-clothes, her "band" consists of other 16yr olds all with trendy-messy clothes and the video consists of her
(a) Running around Mall doing amusing anti-social things like stealing a slush puppy from a security guard, driving little push-cars around and, gosh, knocking a display over
(b) Playing in front of a half-pipe whilst clean-cut skater types stand about and nod.

*shakes head*
Oh man, a teen Riot Grrl trying to come off like this beacon of Feminine Solidarity? She's Britney Spears in combat-trousers. There's no difference here folks, it's the record label aiming for the disaffected-teen whilst also carpet-bombing the perky/happy teens with Spears, Aguilera et al.

I'm not ripping the song, it's ok for what it is. But the way she's being promoted is hilarious.
"She's the anti-Britney" "She's a voice for young women"
Really? You actually think that do you? As much as I'm aware Morisette had her start in bouffant-haired pop stardom, at least she's genuinely experienced life and her songs have that twang of anger.

Compare:
Alanis Morisette
"You took me for a joke
You took me for a child
You took a long hard look at my asss
And then played golf for a while
You shake is like a fish
You pat me on the head
You took me out to wine dine 69 me
But didn't hear a damn word I said"

Avril Levigne
"He was a skater boy
She said see you later boy
He wasn't good enough for her
She had a pretty face
But her head was up in space
She needed to come back down to earth"

----
Now I'm not saying she doesn't have a good voice or anything like that, I'm just saying please dont get sucked into thinking she's anything other than another production-line Dancing Bear.
Enjoy the music by all means, just don't kid yourself she's anything remotely close to Tori Amos/Alanis Morrisette/Beth Orton etc.

She's a 16-18yr old girl that sings about skater boys.
End. Of. Story.
Fri 18/10/02 at 09:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I've been hearing someone called Avril Levigne (sp?) all over the radio and everyone raving about her. Seems like Alanis Morisette-lite to this bloke.
To the extent that the verses actually remind me of a Morrisette song called "You live, you learn".

*shrugs* Anyhoo, her record company are trying to promote her as a genuine, tortured fem-angst artist blah blah. And today I saw her video.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Can you say "Contrived Corporate Posturing"? She's about 16, nice clean skate-clothes, her "band" consists of other 16yr olds all with trendy-messy clothes and the video consists of her
(a) Running around Mall doing amusing anti-social things like stealing a slush puppy from a security guard, driving little push-cars around and, gosh, knocking a display over
(b) Playing in front of a half-pipe whilst clean-cut skater types stand about and nod.

*shakes head*
Oh man, a teen Riot Grrl trying to come off like this beacon of Feminine Solidarity? She's Britney Spears in combat-trousers. There's no difference here folks, it's the record label aiming for the disaffected-teen whilst also carpet-bombing the perky/happy teens with Spears, Aguilera et al.

I'm not ripping the song, it's ok for what it is. But the way she's being promoted is hilarious.
"She's the anti-Britney" "She's a voice for young women"
Really? You actually think that do you? As much as I'm aware Morisette had her start in bouffant-haired pop stardom, at least she's genuinely experienced life and her songs have that twang of anger.

Compare:
Alanis Morisette
"You took me for a joke
You took me for a child
You took a long hard look at my asss
And then played golf for a while
You shake is like a fish
You pat me on the head
You took me out to wine dine 69 me
But didn't hear a damn word I said"

Avril Levigne
"He was a skater boy
She said see you later boy
He wasn't good enough for her
She had a pretty face
But her head was up in space
She needed to come back down to earth"

----
Now I'm not saying she doesn't have a good voice or anything like that, I'm just saying please dont get sucked into thinking she's anything other than another production-line Dancing Bear.
Enjoy the music by all means, just don't kid yourself she's anything remotely close to Tori Amos/Alanis Morrisette/Beth Orton etc.

She's a 16-18yr old girl that sings about skater boys.
End. Of. Story.
Fri 18/10/02 at 09:42
Regular
Well put - next thing we know, we're going to have nine year olds wearing comnbat trousers 'rebelling' against their parents. I blame society.
Fri 18/10/02 at 09:43
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Yeah but I would

Britney with a skatboard and some baggy trousers, Yep

Britney I wouldn't

Also apparently Britney loves Rock n' Roll now... record company told her because it's the 'in' thing.
Fri 18/10/02 at 09:45
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Someone at work asked me if I liked her the other day. I said no because she is just another publicity machine. I was told no she isn't she is skate punk.

Skate punk, from a man who says metal is nothing but noise.

I then got told that I was just jealous because I wasn't rich or famous.

Bah!

If I was going to be jealous of anyone it would be someone with talent.
And I seriously can't think of anything worse than being famous.

The anti-Britney? (I read about this in the Big Issue). At least Britney doesn't pretend to be something she isn't.
Fri 18/10/02 at 09:48
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Rosalind wrote:

At least Britney doesn't pretend to be something she isn't.

--

Yes she does (as below) her new song is I love Rock and Roll
Fri 18/10/02 at 09:50
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
SHEEPY wrote:

> Yes she does (as below) her new song is I love Rock and Roll

Its a cover.

It was on the albulm and the fans asked her to release it.
Fri 18/10/02 at 10:11
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I know it's a cover but still :P

Fans Smans you wants more money
Fri 18/10/02 at 10:19
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
There's an even funnier act I saw this morning as well.
4 little boys called "Busted" and a song called "What I go to school for"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They all bounce during the choruses and their school-mates bounce with them.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Watch their hands, they aren't playing anything.
I couldn't get furious watching it, I was genuinely in hysterics watching them be ROCK.

I'd love to get hold of their fans, tie them to a chair and play them Nailbomb whilst saying "This is rock you pantywaists"
And I'd *love* to kidnap Avril Levigne and lock her in a listening booth and play Patti Smith to her whilst hissing "THIS is female rock. THIS is being alternative and a voice for females in music"

Fantastic
*appluads*
Funniest morning of music ever.
Fri 18/10/02 at 10:37
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Busted got to number 3 in the charts

How I love the intelligence and music taste of this country
Fri 18/10/02 at 10:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Number 3?
Man, I never got enough pocket-money to buy singles when I was stupid.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.