GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Silly Little Girl"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/10/02 at 09:40
Regular
I've been hearing someone called Avril Levigne (sp?) all over the radio and everyone raving about her. Seems like Alanis Morisette-lite to this bloke.
To the extent that the verses actually remind me of a Morrisette song called "You live, you learn".

*shrugs* Anyhoo, her record company are trying to promote her as a genuine, tortured fem-angst artist blah blah. And today I saw her video.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Can you say "Contrived Corporate Posturing"? She's about 16, nice clean skate-clothes, her "band" consists of other 16yr olds all with trendy-messy clothes and the video consists of her
(a) Running around Mall doing amusing anti-social things like stealing a slush puppy from a security guard, driving little push-cars around and, gosh, knocking a display over
(b) Playing in front of a half-pipe whilst clean-cut skater types stand about and nod.

*shakes head*
Oh man, a teen Riot Grrl trying to come off like this beacon of Feminine Solidarity? She's Britney Spears in combat-trousers. There's no difference here folks, it's the record label aiming for the disaffected-teen whilst also carpet-bombing the perky/happy teens with Spears, Aguilera et al.

I'm not ripping the song, it's ok for what it is. But the way she's being promoted is hilarious.
"She's the anti-Britney" "She's a voice for young women"
Really? You actually think that do you? As much as I'm aware Morisette had her start in bouffant-haired pop stardom, at least she's genuinely experienced life and her songs have that twang of anger.

Compare:
Alanis Morisette
"You took me for a joke
You took me for a child
You took a long hard look at my asss
And then played golf for a while
You shake is like a fish
You pat me on the head
You took me out to wine dine 69 me
But didn't hear a damn word I said"

Avril Levigne
"He was a skater boy
She said see you later boy
He wasn't good enough for her
She had a pretty face
But her head was up in space
She needed to come back down to earth"

----
Now I'm not saying she doesn't have a good voice or anything like that, I'm just saying please dont get sucked into thinking she's anything other than another production-line Dancing Bear.
Enjoy the music by all means, just don't kid yourself she's anything remotely close to Tori Amos/Alanis Morrisette/Beth Orton etc.

She's a 16-18yr old girl that sings about skater boys.
End. Of. Story.
Fri 15/11/02 at 14:58
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
don't you people get enough sassagery (sp?) fromall the other Avril topics
I wanna hear about people who actually think they can argue that Autechre
(if that's how it's spelt) are a good band

Pleez!
Avril has no defence
she's poor and pointless and you all know it as do we all
stop picking the flesh off the scapegoat and get some good topics already!
Fri 15/11/02 at 13:00
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
whilst in austria I watched MTV in german for a bit, got to see Jackass in german subtitles, the osbournes and music from the continent.
Anyway they kept showing their documentarys on people like Alanis Morrisette, Mariah Carey....
they also had one on Avril, well all I heard was "I'm not like britney, people are always comparing me to britney... I'm not like her"
then the german dubbing kicked in wooo not quite as much of an annoying interview in german. They didn't dub alanis or mariah....mmmm curious
Fri 15/11/02 at 11:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
*pop*
To show Slaveunit what I was talking about.
Mon 21/10/02 at 00:57
Regular
"Evenstar"
I really like her music and she seems like a cool chic from what I have seen of her on TV. Doesn't sound anything like Alanis Morrisette in my opinion and certainly doesn't ast like her... Avril Lavigne is a great singer and her songs are really catchy too.
Sun 20/10/02 at 16:01
Regular
"Selected"
*stands up clapping and wolf whislting at Goathead*

encore!

*throws a rose*
Sun 20/10/02 at 15:35
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
allardini wrote:
> On that earlier point about this "Busted" band, there's also
> the "Blazin' Squad", annoying poppy 15 year olds trying to
> look like a garage band.
>
> I also heard these lyrics in a song by the Brit boyband Blue the other
> day, that went something like "The Hip-hop beats and the mean
> streets". Now THAT's cash-in.

Is that Blazin Squad the one that sings "Crossroads"? If so, they really suck.
Sun 20/10/02 at 15:31
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
On that earlier point about this "Busted" band, there's also the "Blazin' Squad", annoying poppy 15 year olds trying to look like a garage band.

I also heard these lyrics in a song by the Brit boyband Blue the other day, that went something like "The Hip-hop beats and the mean streets". Now THAT's cash-in.
Sun 20/10/02 at 14:52
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
It's a pop song.

If you removed the backing and replaced it with something made by white men on computers, It could be sold to eastern Europe and make a fortune.
Sat 19/10/02 at 23:57
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Goatboy wrote:
> There's an even funnier act I saw this morning as well.
> 4 little boys called "Busted" and a song called "What I
> go to school for"
>
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>
>
> They all bounce during the choruses and their school-mates bounce with
> them.
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
> Watch their hands, they aren't playing anything.

> *appluads*
> Funniest morning of music ever.

On TOTP they performed, they actually sung live but just swung their hands around the guitar acting rather gay!

Back to the topic though, I got a few things just to point out:

She had a go at her record producers because they wanted her to dress in ~normal~ clothes!
Complicated is the most annoying song on her album, some of the other songs are actually quite good.
Britney's well fit!
So is Avril!
Avril hates Britney, one fantasy down the drain...
Sat 19/10/02 at 22:20
Regular
simon45 wrote:
> Mystique wrote:
> Well I don't care what you all think. I'd still do er'
> ;)
>
>
> No matter how in depth and intelligent the conversation may get,this
> type of comment will always pop up from time to time.
>
> Blokes will be blokes.
>
> Fair play to you mate - made me smile!

*shakes head*
*points and giggles*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.