GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Clockwork Orange - 10:00pm, Channel 4"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/10/02 at 13:33
Regular
Just in case your interested, and hadn’t looked at a TV schedule for a while, Channel4 are showing Stanley Kubrick's 1971 film interpretation of Anthony Burgess novella tonight at 10 (the title pretty much give it all away huh?)...

It's one of those movies I never get the chance to watch... whenever an opportunity does arise, some ludicrous series of random events occur to stop me from getting to view it... So I'll be interested to see if I can get to watch it tonight... and what it’s finally like I do?
Wed 16/10/02 at 16:16
Regular
"That's right!"
Full Metal Jacket is good, have never been impressed by any of his other work.

Anyway, I couldn't be bothered to watch it, though I swear - ONE day I will get around to seeing it, as I will with the Godfather trilogy, Apocolypse Now and 2001
Wed 16/10/02 at 16:12
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Yes, Kubrick did ban it himself, but in all realism it would have been banned by film censors anyway, or heavily cut. I think Kubrick pulled it mainly because of the copy cat killings, not so much the death threats. Even the other Kubrick stuff I've seen - Space 2001, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut - hasn't seemed all that remarckable to me, pretty tedious in Space 2001's case.

~~Belldandy~~
Wed 16/10/02 at 13:35
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Yup, Kubrik banned it from the UK after a couple of copycat killings (allegedly) and threats to his family. After his death the right to show the film was released...
Wed 16/10/02 at 11:48
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Belldandy wrote:
> If it hadn't originally been banned in the UK

Was it ever actually banned?

I seem to remember hearing somewhere, that Kubrick himself requested the film be removed from UK distribution after he recieved some death threats.

That although 'apparently' death threats are pretty standard fair in films of this sort, Kubrick decided to take these seriously (I think they suggested killing his family more than himself?)

A certain amount of distribution control was written into his original contract, and he requested the film be pulled in the UK

Which is then why the film became avalible almost immeadiatly after his death?

Then again, this could always just be Internet crap I picked up somewhere... Or I may have just dreamt it, since I seem to remember I saw it on a Kubrick Documentary?
Tue 15/10/02 at 20:12
Regular
"not dead"
Belldandy wrote:
> If it hadn't originally been banned in the UK then it wouldn't have
> been anywhere near as popular as it is now...

I don't know, a number of Kubricks other movies have also remained popular after the years, such as 2001 and The Shining.

Personally I loved it. I thought the the choreography of the fight scene with Billy and his boys was nothing less than fantastic, and despite the violence at the start of the movie it was the method of reform that was more shocking, to me.
Tue 15/10/02 at 19:55
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
If it hadn't originally been banned in the UK then it wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular as it is now, a lot of the attention it gets is because it's the film "They" didn't want you to see......not because its good. Meaning in the film ? Prison reform, violence in society e.t.c Er they exited long before Kubrick did this.

~~Belldandy~~
Tue 15/10/02 at 14:00
Regular
"Excommunicated"
" You know what you can do with that watch? Stick it up your arrse "
Tue 15/10/02 at 13:25
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
That was the first tim i had seen the film, and i have to say i rather enjoyed it. I thought it would be some crappy film with lots of "ultraviolence", but in the end it wasnt half bad.

*thumbs up*
Tue 15/10/02 at 07:37
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Well after watching roughly 30 minutes of that film i had to turn it
> off. I was disgusted at it (Im 15 - not gay before you ask) i found
> the sexual violence in the film disgusting.
>
> Its a very strange film aswell....

Not taking a shot at you, but to be honest, I didn't think the content was THAT bad. Sure, it would've been bad twenty years ago when it was released, but when you see films with this same content in, it really desensitises you from it. After seeing some of the films I have seen, no film can make me sick. Remember, they're only acting :)

Although, Kubrick does have a strange way of making his films...
Mon 14/10/02 at 22:44
Regular
"You've upset me"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Unfortunatly, thats not a new thing... its the same world everyone has
> been brought up in... its was then, and will be for a long time to
> come.

Indeed. Disgusting really.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.