GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Film) Taken (2008)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/07/08 at 18:57
Regular
"I like turtles"
Taken is the latest film to come from Luc Besson's EuropaCorp studio and Besson himself produced and co-wrote it.Although he is officially retired as a director he apparently had an active role in the making of this film.As an admirer of much of Besson's work (especially Leon) I was really looking forward to seeing this.

Bryan Mills (played by Liam Neeson) is a retired CIA agent whose 17 year old daughter Kim goes to Paris with her best friend.They are going to stay with her family in their luxury apartment.Once they arrive in Paris they are approached at the airport and share a taxi which the rather charming Peter,who is a 'spotter' for a gang dealing in the slave trade.When they get to the apartment Kim phones her father just as the gang burst in to kidnap them.Bryan hears the whole chilling ordeal.He then learns that in most cases after a mere 96 hours the victims are never seen again.He jumps on the nearest plane to Paris as the clock is ticking.

Liam Neeson is watchable enough as ever especially in the films opening half hour.His character is strongly against letting his daughter go to Paris in the first place.Her mother (Bryans ex-wife played by Famke Janssen) warns him if he does not she will resent him forever and finish his already delicate relationship with her.Neeson handles these scenes very well and you actually feel for his character at this point.The rest of the cast are pretty forgettable to be honest as is the last hour of this film.

Once Bryan arrives in Paris the film jumps from being what I hoped would be a gritty thriller into a pretty lame action movie.At one point I almost expected Neeson to whip out his light sabre then use the Jedi mind trick !,what actually happened was only marginally less believable.The other thing was the racial stereotyping in it.You just know anyone with slightly dusky skin or who speaks in a funny accent is not going to see the end of the film.Yep,all the kidnappers are of eastern origin,look the same,sound the same and all meet the same fate.In fact there is not a single surprise to be seen here as this is a strictly by the numbers affair.After 20 mins you can pretty much guess the rest of the film.

Taken is not a dreadful film by any means,it is however a pretty disappointing one.Especially after Ben Affleck's Gone Baby Gone,which had a similar plotline but was massively superior in every way.It felt for me like I had just watched a Steven Seagal movie made with a half decent actor and I was expecting a lot more than that.

A very average 6.5/10,shame.
Thu 31/07/08 at 02:23
Regular
"Mooching around"
I love how Gerrid is sweeping under the radar here :D
Wed 30/07/08 at 22:04
Regular
"jermaine_southgate"
JFH stop spamming this is a formal warning.
Wed 30/07/08 at 22:02
Regular
"0228"
If I was making a list of the top ten biggest idiots in the world I would put J Nash on my list.

At number 4.
Wed 30/07/08 at 21:45
Regular
"I like turtles"
John Nash wrote:
> im weeping

I don't feel I need to add anything to that to make you look anymore of an idiot.You can clearly do a very good job of that all by yourself !.
Wed 30/07/08 at 21:42
Regular
"I like turtles"
gerrid wrote:
> good on you pete_22 don't give up man what are you gonna review
> next?I look forward to it

Soul Calibur IV Xbox 360 game.,got it this morning.
Wed 30/07/08 at 21:40
Regular
"jermaine_southgate"
im weeping
Wed 30/07/08 at 21:38
Regular
"bit of a brain"
good on you pete_22 don't give up man what are you gonna review next?I look forward to it
Wed 30/07/08 at 21:33
Regular
"I like turtles"
jubbachainsaw wrote:
> Don't let all this discourage you pete_21 you did a good job

Thanks mate !.I am not put off at all.I probably need to thank that clown Nash,because of him my review seems to have been read by loads of people who normally wouldn't have bothered !.A forum review should not be of professional quality IMO.It should be what a 'normal guy in the street' honestly thought about a product.You can get loads of professional (and sometimes wholly inaccurate) reviews from any site on the web.I like it that we get the chance here to honestly tell people what we think (about the latest films,games etc).If that review is less than technically perfect,then frankly who cares.As for John Nash,you get 'characters' like him on all forum sites,he's nothing new.I'll spare a thought for him when I'm spending my £30 voucher !.
Wed 30/07/08 at 21:30
Regular
"bit of a brain"
people like you disgust me
Wed 30/07/08 at 21:28
Regular
"jermaine_southgate"
how am i spamming exactly

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.