GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GC Magazines"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/10/02 at 20:36
Regular
I love Cube the best but I often get NGC as well when it has a DVD. NOM was brilliant but now it is utter hypocritical crap. It just tries to act hard and is always biased towards on-nintendo games. And as for G-Force - it's too expensive, too thin and the only time i ever bought it there was no DVD in the DVD case...
Wed 16/10/02 at 18:43
Regular
I still prefer NOM to NGC myself. I only started reading since the GC launch, so I've never seen the "Greysation poo" comments, but the magazine generally seems willing to mention the GC's flaws. They've complained about the Z-Button, and been pretty objective when comparing a PS2 port and a Nintendo original game.

The thing I REALLY HATE about NGC is the stupid jokes. I have a friend who reads through it on the bus sometimes, and spends about 10 minutes telling me how funny the last page is, but I've never found it funny in the slightest. NOM seems more serious to me - a few humourous comments, but still proper opinions, rather than just random jokes all over the place. NOM also seems to be more professionally designed to me. It's probably just taste, but NGC seems to be all over the place.

And NOM seem to be still thinking about trying to persuade Nintendo to give them demo disks - a recent letters page asked the reader whether they'd be willing to pay more for NOM if it came with a playable demo disk.

As for the Game Rental vouchers in the November issue, I have them, and I think that you get a standard rental, depending on the game you get. On newer games, that's 2 nights, normally worth about £3.50. On older games, that's 5 nights, normally worth about £2.75. That seems to be what it says in the magazine.
Tue 15/10/02 at 17:49
Regular
"Festivus!"
I buy NGC all the time I am even thinking about subscribing, but after my 'Kerrang' ordeal, I'm not allowed to by my Mother.

Before I settled on my NGC roots, I had a look around the competition - Cube and NOM - but neither entertained me.

I still read NOM because my step - cousin - who buys it - lends it to me in exchange for me lending him NGC - Pretty fair deal, no?
Tue 15/10/02 at 16:57
Regular
Microchips wrote:

> Also, I remember when NOm used hrases like, "Greysation poo"

they have grown up since then and now i find them sometimes sticking up for PS2 games. they also are parts that are funny, but i get a mag to read about the games know when they are out etc... dont pay much attention to scores and jokes.

> you should buy magasines that you yourself like to read.

Makes sense to me.
Mon 14/10/02 at 20:38
Regular
Microchips wrote:

>
>
> Also, I remember when NOm used hrases like, "Greysation poo"
> etc and they had that send in your Plastation, we'll hit it with a
> hammer and send you an N64 thing. What the hell was the point of
> that?
>

Heh, that Mario Hammer Time cracked me up (no pun intended), I thought that was great.

A good deal too, if you don't want your Playstation, send it in and they send you £200 worth of games.
Mon 14/10/02 at 20:14
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I like NGC much more than NOM, and there are many reasons why. The first one is the scoring system. havinbg a percentage is a far better way to sdcore a game than to rate it out of ten, asd ytou can be accurate with your scoring, ie 96% for NGC and 10 for NOM. Wasn't 10 always the 'perfect game'? One of the other reasons is the fact that I find NGC far funnier, and the End of NGC is always a laugh, especially the Yamauchie-terminator one. :D

Also, I remember when NOm used hrases like, "Greysation poo" etc and they had that send in your Plastation, we'll hit it with a hammer and send you an N64 thing. What the hell was the point of that?

Still, that's my crappy opinion, you should buy magasines tha tYOu yourself like to read.

:)
Mon 14/10/02 at 20:04
Regular
"-_-"
I like NGC I still get nom though as i got 6 free block buster gemes rentals but does anyone know if they're overnight rentals or double ?
Mon 14/10/02 at 19:15
Regular
NOM has changed a lot since the days of errors such as South Park. They give a game what it deserves, full stop. And for all you NGCers complaining, the scores are almost exactly the same! Here:

Mario Sunshine:
NGC - 96%. NOM - 10.

Eternal Darkness:
NGC - 89%. NOM - 9.

Etc, etc.
Mon 14/10/02 at 13:42
Regular
"aliens exist"
darkmarks right, theres no way an official magazine could give many games low marks even if they thought they deserved it, because part of their job is to increase demand for these games. and if they did give low scores then they wouldnt be the official magazine for very long.

and on the subject of mags, NGC used to be the best but its reviews have recently been pretty crap, Cube is the best all round mag especially when they do good resear ch like going to twycross to find the rare HQ,

NOM is average, also cube solutions is good, their resident evil guide was second to none
Mon 14/10/02 at 09:54
Regular
"Remember me?"
Maverick42 wrote:
> NOM aren't biased at all really, if you look at their scores. They
> give a game what it deserves, and that's that. Very good, methinks.

Well that had a funny way of deciding "what a game deserves" when it came to the N64. Numerous games that were utter crap were given stupidly high scores.
Sun 13/10/02 at 22:20
Regular
"Touched!"
definately cube, top class mag, good info and reviews

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.