GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does Blinx prove OXM is really biased?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/10/02 at 15:54
Regular
I ask this as I've just been having a snoop around PlanetXbox, and saw that they'd reviews Blinx. So I had a quick look, and nearly har a heart attack when I saw the score: 50. Yup, that's right. 50%. With this to sum up:

The Lowdown: Largely boring and aggravating, Blinx is an ill-conceived attempt at creating a marketable mascot.

Pros: Graphics, sound, and controls are more or less workable.

Cons: Deeply, inherently un-fun; time control gimmick is just that; flawed aiming system; generally bland and uninspired.

OXM gave this 9.7. Something is obviously amiss here. Did they both review the right version of the game? Is the official magazine amazingly biased? Or did one of the two review an incomplete version of the game?

From the review:

Blinx is actually one of the most tedious, poorly-conceived 3D platform games that I've had the displeasure of slogging through. That said, it doesn't screw up the technical stuff -- while not impressive, the graphics are okay, the sound is passable, and the control is mostly there. Where Blinx fails, and fails badly, is the gameplay: it's redundant, it's uninteresting, and it's just not fun. In fact, Blinx quickly speeds past the "not fun" border and stops in the neighboring lands of boredom and aggravation. Most platformers have at least some modicum of fun to offer; with Blinx, I was literally forcing myself to finish the game so I could evaluate the entire product.

"But wait," you say. "Those time powers are nifty-keen and innovative! " They might be innovative, but they add more annoyance than entertainment to the mix. Not every level requires savvy use of the time powers (which is questionable in itself, since that's the game's big gimmick), but those that do often have very specific requirements you can't know ahead of time. If you don't have the appropriate powers stockpiled you might be up the creek -- time to start over with your newfound knowledge, collecting different crystals along the way. Even if you do have the right powers for the situation, the sense of accomplishment or interest just isn't there. Rewinding a bridge back into existence or pausing a boss so you can hit it isn't exactly the height of smarty-man puzzle-solving; for all intents and purposes, you're just pushing a glorified switch. There are so many better ways in which time powers could have been implemented; as they are, they barely deserve a bullet point on the back cover.

- - - - - - -

And from later in the review:

I could go on about the boring level design, insipid art direction, inane challenges, insulting "rewards" for collecting cat medals, and a variety of other pertinent topics. I'm sure you get the idea, though. Blinx is a half-baked attempt at an AAA platform game. It fails on most important counts, and is wholly undeserving of the hype which it's received. The Xbox is not exactly rife with good platform games, and Blinx doesn't change a thing. If you're interested in the genre, you should probably just pick up a PlayStation 2 or Cube and forget this game exists. If there's any justice, Blinx will go quietly into the night just as Bubsy, Glover and Awesome Possum have before him. The Xbox still needs a mascot, because this genocidal feline custodian sure as heck isn't it.

Ouch! Maybe I wobn't buy this afterall. The PlanetXbox review says almost the complete opposite of the OXM one. I wonder why....
Sat 12/10/02 at 12:06
Regular
Your opinion Mav, But Mario Sunshine definatly is'nt the best platformer ever made.

Mario 64 and the early Super mario land series are by far the best platofmrers to hit consoles.
Sat 12/10/02 at 11:59
Regular
I can, because it's my opinion. Also, the mags and critics seem to agree with me. And how about it being the fastest selling platformer of all time?

I think that's evidence enough.
Sat 12/10/02 at 11:32
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Maverick said:

Also, NOM aren't biased at all, and gave Super Mario Sunshine the score of 10 because it deserves it and is the best platformer ever made.

--Actually Maverick you are a bit biased saying Mario Sunshine is the best platformer ever made. You cant really say that. Some people prefer Rayman, other Crash Bandicoot, and other Sonic Adventure. You cant just say Mario Sunshine is the best platformer ever.
Sat 12/10/02 at 11:26
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Blinx is just Majoras mask crossed with Luigi's Mansion, innovative my
> ar$e.

------
Rewind: This rewinds events that have occurred in the view area. So, if a statue had fallen, you can rewind and rebuild it. You can also jump on a crate that's fallen off a roof, rewind, and ride the crate to the top of the roof.

Fast forward: Rarely used, this one makes everything go faster. Sometimes helpful when you're running low on time or when you're on a moving object that needs to get somewhere in a hurry.

Pause: Stop the entire environment. Enemies, platforms, switches, deadly axes and bombs, all of them are frozen while Blinx is free to move about.

Record: Record about ten seconds of Blinx' actions. While recording, Blinx is invulnerable. When the record time ends, the game rewinds those recorded seconds and then a green 'ghost' Blinx proceeds to do the actions you just recorded. This basically gives you two Blinx at once and is a great way to take out multiple enemies or activate two switches at once.

Slow-mo: Slows the environment down. Really great for taking out a lot of enemies in a room or getting through a closing door.
-----

Sounds pretty innovative to me....
Sat 12/10/02 at 11:23
Regular
er-no wrote:
> Its crap. I hate it.
>
> *I have given it two chances now, it has failed to actually make me
> enjoy it.*

Can you expand a little on why you think it's "crap"?
Sat 12/10/02 at 01:33
Regular
"everyone says it"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Hmmm. PlanetXbox Sucks anyway.
>
> I Have actually played Blinx and i think its brilliant.

Its crap. I hate it.

*I have given it two chances now, it has failed to actually make me enjoy it.*

:(
Fri 11/10/02 at 23:48
Regular
garbe123 wrote:
> If you want biased the Official Nintendo mag gave Mario 10 and no game
> is perfect.

When dealing with percentages, maybe, but as there are only ten scores that can be given, a 10 will crop up every now and again.

Also, NOM aren't biased at all, and gave Super Mario Sunshine the score of 10 because it deserves it and is the best platformer ever made.
Fri 11/10/02 at 22:29
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I enjoyed what little I played of Blinx, so I'll still be buying it. If it were to turn out a lemon, I'll make sure its returned within 10 days or something. Problem solved. ;-)
Fri 11/10/02 at 19:31
Regular
Hmmm. PlanetXbox Sucks anyway.

I Have actually played Blinx and i think its brilliant.
Fri 11/10/02 at 19:24
Regular
"not dead"
www.gamerankings.co.uk

This website collects reviews from all sorts of sources, and gives an avarage.

You'll get a decent average score if you check it out, and they'll even put them in order of highest rated game to lowest, shoyuld you so desire.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.