GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does Blinx prove OXM is really biased?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/10/02 at 15:54
Regular
I ask this as I've just been having a snoop around PlanetXbox, and saw that they'd reviews Blinx. So I had a quick look, and nearly har a heart attack when I saw the score: 50. Yup, that's right. 50%. With this to sum up:

The Lowdown: Largely boring and aggravating, Blinx is an ill-conceived attempt at creating a marketable mascot.

Pros: Graphics, sound, and controls are more or less workable.

Cons: Deeply, inherently un-fun; time control gimmick is just that; flawed aiming system; generally bland and uninspired.

OXM gave this 9.7. Something is obviously amiss here. Did they both review the right version of the game? Is the official magazine amazingly biased? Or did one of the two review an incomplete version of the game?

From the review:

Blinx is actually one of the most tedious, poorly-conceived 3D platform games that I've had the displeasure of slogging through. That said, it doesn't screw up the technical stuff -- while not impressive, the graphics are okay, the sound is passable, and the control is mostly there. Where Blinx fails, and fails badly, is the gameplay: it's redundant, it's uninteresting, and it's just not fun. In fact, Blinx quickly speeds past the "not fun" border and stops in the neighboring lands of boredom and aggravation. Most platformers have at least some modicum of fun to offer; with Blinx, I was literally forcing myself to finish the game so I could evaluate the entire product.

"But wait," you say. "Those time powers are nifty-keen and innovative! " They might be innovative, but they add more annoyance than entertainment to the mix. Not every level requires savvy use of the time powers (which is questionable in itself, since that's the game's big gimmick), but those that do often have very specific requirements you can't know ahead of time. If you don't have the appropriate powers stockpiled you might be up the creek -- time to start over with your newfound knowledge, collecting different crystals along the way. Even if you do have the right powers for the situation, the sense of accomplishment or interest just isn't there. Rewinding a bridge back into existence or pausing a boss so you can hit it isn't exactly the height of smarty-man puzzle-solving; for all intents and purposes, you're just pushing a glorified switch. There are so many better ways in which time powers could have been implemented; as they are, they barely deserve a bullet point on the back cover.

- - - - - - -

And from later in the review:

I could go on about the boring level design, insipid art direction, inane challenges, insulting "rewards" for collecting cat medals, and a variety of other pertinent topics. I'm sure you get the idea, though. Blinx is a half-baked attempt at an AAA platform game. It fails on most important counts, and is wholly undeserving of the hype which it's received. The Xbox is not exactly rife with good platform games, and Blinx doesn't change a thing. If you're interested in the genre, you should probably just pick up a PlayStation 2 or Cube and forget this game exists. If there's any justice, Blinx will go quietly into the night just as Bubsy, Glover and Awesome Possum have before him. The Xbox still needs a mascot, because this genocidal feline custodian sure as heck isn't it.

Ouch! Maybe I wobn't buy this afterall. The PlanetXbox review says almost the complete opposite of the OXM one. I wonder why....
Thu 10/10/02 at 15:54
Regular
I ask this as I've just been having a snoop around PlanetXbox, and saw that they'd reviews Blinx. So I had a quick look, and nearly har a heart attack when I saw the score: 50. Yup, that's right. 50%. With this to sum up:

The Lowdown: Largely boring and aggravating, Blinx is an ill-conceived attempt at creating a marketable mascot.

Pros: Graphics, sound, and controls are more or less workable.

Cons: Deeply, inherently un-fun; time control gimmick is just that; flawed aiming system; generally bland and uninspired.

OXM gave this 9.7. Something is obviously amiss here. Did they both review the right version of the game? Is the official magazine amazingly biased? Or did one of the two review an incomplete version of the game?

From the review:

Blinx is actually one of the most tedious, poorly-conceived 3D platform games that I've had the displeasure of slogging through. That said, it doesn't screw up the technical stuff -- while not impressive, the graphics are okay, the sound is passable, and the control is mostly there. Where Blinx fails, and fails badly, is the gameplay: it's redundant, it's uninteresting, and it's just not fun. In fact, Blinx quickly speeds past the "not fun" border and stops in the neighboring lands of boredom and aggravation. Most platformers have at least some modicum of fun to offer; with Blinx, I was literally forcing myself to finish the game so I could evaluate the entire product.

"But wait," you say. "Those time powers are nifty-keen and innovative! " They might be innovative, but they add more annoyance than entertainment to the mix. Not every level requires savvy use of the time powers (which is questionable in itself, since that's the game's big gimmick), but those that do often have very specific requirements you can't know ahead of time. If you don't have the appropriate powers stockpiled you might be up the creek -- time to start over with your newfound knowledge, collecting different crystals along the way. Even if you do have the right powers for the situation, the sense of accomplishment or interest just isn't there. Rewinding a bridge back into existence or pausing a boss so you can hit it isn't exactly the height of smarty-man puzzle-solving; for all intents and purposes, you're just pushing a glorified switch. There are so many better ways in which time powers could have been implemented; as they are, they barely deserve a bullet point on the back cover.

- - - - - - -

And from later in the review:

I could go on about the boring level design, insipid art direction, inane challenges, insulting "rewards" for collecting cat medals, and a variety of other pertinent topics. I'm sure you get the idea, though. Blinx is a half-baked attempt at an AAA platform game. It fails on most important counts, and is wholly undeserving of the hype which it's received. The Xbox is not exactly rife with good platform games, and Blinx doesn't change a thing. If you're interested in the genre, you should probably just pick up a PlayStation 2 or Cube and forget this game exists. If there's any justice, Blinx will go quietly into the night just as Bubsy, Glover and Awesome Possum have before him. The Xbox still needs a mascot, because this genocidal feline custodian sure as heck isn't it.

Ouch! Maybe I wobn't buy this afterall. The PlanetXbox review says almost the complete opposite of the OXM one. I wonder why....
Thu 10/10/02 at 16:08
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Actually, OXBM gave Blinx 9.3........ but thats not the point.

Bias..... im not sure, OXBM have given some very bad scores. Though its quite rare to have a game getting such a mixed review. I mean 50% and 93% is a HUGE difference. Who should we believe?

Well..... this is where my little motto comes in, you are your own critic. So with a game like this, I would rent it and find out yourself whether it is good or not.

You could say OXBM are bias, but they did have previews leading up to Blinx, and they seemed to like it before they even reviewed it. Overall, this is a hard one to call, they say that they give honest reviews but to get 50% from planetxbox and 93% from OXBM is very sus.
Thu 10/10/02 at 16:58
Regular
It depends on who is reviewing it! I would give Mario Sunshine around 5.8 but that doesn't mean the game is rubbish. As for OXM if they are biased then it isn't the same mag that I read, they give low scores ofor great games. If you want biased the Official Nintendo mag gave Mario 10 and no game is perfect.

As for Blinx, here are some scores:

OXM = 9.3
IGN = 8.8
Games Domain = 4.5/5.0

Plus I have read a lot of readers reviews where it doesn't go below an 8.

The best way to find out how good is to play it for yourself.
Thu 10/10/02 at 17:27
Regular
"Wobble"
garbe123 wrote:
> If you want biased the Official Nintendo mag gave Mario 10 and no game is perfect.

Ah, so Edge did get it wrong with Halo. Figured as much! :-)
Thu 10/10/02 at 18:30
Regular
Freddie Ljungberg wrote:
> Ah, so Edge did get it wrong with Halo. Figured as much! :-)

WTF! Edge is multiformat, Not biased. Halo is a great game - thats why it got a top score.
Thu 10/10/02 at 19:06
Regular
"Wobble"
gamezfreak wrote:
> WTF! Edge is multiformat, Not biased. Halo is a great game - thats why it got a top score.

But you say that no game is perfect, so how does Halo get a 10 - WHOEVER reviews it, multi-format or not?

You're basically saying...

(a) an all-formats mag can't be biased
(b) ONM are biased because they gave a Mario game 10
(c) OXM are not similarly biased for giving what may as well have been a 10
(d) OXM are the only unbiased official mag

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a Ninty, and I can't stand Mario games - it wouldn't be a 10 for me either; more like a 3.

But I think you're confusing actual game quality with personal preference, and a desire not to hear a bad word said about any Xbox game.

According to a few people in this forum, it seems it is completely impossible for a bad game to be produced on the Xbox platform. Some of you seem so eager for the machine to succeed that you'd talk up a lump of dogs crap if you thought it would help sales!
Thu 10/10/02 at 19:35
Regular
Well, PlanetXbox seem "totally" out of sync with most other reviews of Blinx.

I don't think OXM are biased, but I do disagree with many of their reviews - for instance I don't think anyone in the right mind could say that Buffy The Vampire Slayer is equaly as good as Hitman 2 - both scored 8.3.
But then again, most of their reviews I find to be spot-on.

PlanetXbox's review of Blinx seems way too cynical - perhaps they are trying to make a name for themselves or something.
It sounds to me like they're taking it all too seriously.
Maybe they had ridicuously high expectations and when it didn't quite deliver, they went to the other extreme and wrote it off.

If Blinx is total cr@p, I'm sure OXM wouldn't give it 9.3.

It's also worth remembering that games which feature "innovative and original ideas" often receive a wide range of opinions - both positive and negative.
Thu 10/10/02 at 19:37
Regular
"everyone says it"
Listen to the .com.

All magazines are biased and have been rigged in one way or another, yeap, including all Nintendo Magazines. Thats why 'free' website ones are the best.

YH, I will let you know about Blinx though :) A demo copy will be sniffing about work somewhere... I hope :)
Thu 10/10/02 at 20:09
Regular
I've just noticed that PlanetXbox gave Azurik 84% and Artic thunder 84% - Now ask yourselves: can this website be trusted?
These two games are universally recognized as being well-below par (to put it politely).
Thu 10/10/02 at 20:23
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I think this is down to the review, and how they interperte.

xboxaddict rated Hunter has being better than Halo-which we all know isn't true. The reviews so far of Blinx have leaned much more towards the high 80s and 90s. Planet Xbox and gamespot are the only ones that have cited the game as not living up to the hype.

Fromt he video footage of Blink that I have seen, it looks brilliant. The time thing looks much more than a gimmick as it is implimented in loads of different ways.

OXM have been prety spot on with reviews but I must say Quantumn Redshift really did deserve the elite badge.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.