GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"menus on every page...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/10/02 at 12:48
Regular
how do you get the same menu on every page, without using, traditional frames, and iframes, nor using php. i want the file to be .html, cos i wannna have the same menu thing, like SR has here on the left, on every single page of my site, and being able to change it pretty easily, without changin every file.
Fri 11/10/02 at 10:48
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
cjh wrote:
> Well, saying that, I suppose you could use a Java Applet.

....Then again, maybe not :o).
Fri 11/10/02 at 10:17
Regular
""
cjh wrote:
> Well, saying that, I suppose you could use a Java Applet.

You could etch the menu on the screen with a chisel and buy a new screen every time you want to change the menu.

But either way is over-kill.
Thu 10/10/02 at 22:31
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thats one way :O)

I got the impression though he ment if he wanted to change his side links bar at a later date, how could he do it only once, rather than for every page. Is that correct??

A Template wouldn't be able to help him there.
Thu 10/10/02 at 22:30
Regular
"Kill all Hippies"
Whooo! wrote:
> Why dont you want to use php? If your hoster provides it, then use it,
> it's excellent.

I agree, I've just made my first site with PHP and it is really useful. One line of code in each page and you can add another file i.e. your menus.

Check and see if your provider supports PHP and get a book from Amazon or look on WebMonkey to find out how to program in it.

If you have a problem with it just ask people on here. They'll help.
Thu 10/10/02 at 18:47
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I have a template with my sidebar. I use it on every page with HTML. It is done using tables. In the first cell, you put the menu, then, if you want it to space correctly, you put a second cell for spacing and finally a third one for all the page content.

Go to my site (see tagline) and click View > Source and look to see how it is set out.
Thu 10/10/02 at 16:00
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Well, saying that, I suppose you could use a Java Applet.
Thu 10/10/02 at 16:00
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Yeah, thats with Frames.

I can't see any other way to do what you want without Frames, or a Server Side Script (PHP, SSI).
Thu 10/10/02 at 15:33
Regular
"^^^New Online Arcad"
Sampford wrote:
> how do you get the same menu on every page, without using, traditional
> frames, and iframes, nor using php. i want the file to be .html, cos i
> wannna have the same menu thing, like SR has here on the left, on
> every single page of my site, and being able to change it pretty
> easily, without changin every file.

i have done my site like that, it think, i can change the bar very easily, only prob though i think its with frames not sure what i did, have a look,

www.efc82.fsnet.co.uk/welcome1.htm

it aint finished yet but what ur after is there
Wed 09/10/02 at 23:03
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
The only way I can think of is if you have a program like Dreamweaver. Create a template with it and then everytime you change your menu it'll update the affected HTML files and you just upload them.
Wed 09/10/02 at 14:12
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
SHTML is another way, known as Server Side Includes, I think.

Its like PHP, in that you can include the Menu file on every page, with one line of code:

You would need to have your host support SSI for thigh, and have the file extensions as .shtml rather than .html.

OR, if your host does support PHP:

Without using Frames, PHP or SSI, I do't think it is posible to include a file. I Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure its not possible with basic HTML.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.