GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"menus on every page...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/10/02 at 12:48
Regular
how do you get the same menu on every page, without using, traditional frames, and iframes, nor using php. i want the file to be .html, cos i wannna have the same menu thing, like SR has here on the left, on every single page of my site, and being able to change it pretty easily, without changin every file.
Sun 13/10/02 at 19:37
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
cjh wrote:

> Its when pages get more complex that you like to test them offline.
> Well, it does if your a Freeola customer, saves you from uploading the
> same page so many times.

Yes, I can understand that, but you'd run your own server, e.g. omniHTTP or Apache, or register a free domain that supports PHP, then when everythings spick and span you upload to your main Domain.

If he wants to view the page from any folder he'd have to make it completly in HTML then seperate it into PHP/SSI..etc when he wants to upload it.

Fact is, theres no possible way without driving yourself insane or causing your Host's pipelines serious damage without using some kind of include script...tha is if you want to make a website with hundreds of pages as Samford wrote.

PHP is nice, learn to love it.
Sun 13/10/02 at 18:19
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
No, SSI doesn't work offline, not on its own anyway. Its like PHP, needs to go though an SSI Engine, or something like that :o).

True, most people can get away with not needing to test sime PHP or SSI pages properly offline, as they only include and 'include' command to include another page :oP (how many includes was that?)

Its when pages get more complex that you like to test them offline. Well, it does if your a Freeola customer, saves you from uploading the same page so many times.
Sun 13/10/02 at 17:57
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
SSI works offline? I think most people can survive without having to view their pages offline anyway :p

I do as my home server has vamoosed.
Sun 13/10/02 at 13:35
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Oh yeah, and SSI works like PHP, so you would need to change the file extension, to .shtml
Sun 13/10/02 at 13:32
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Not really.

He makes a vaild point about wanting the file extensions to be .html, so he can view them on this home machine without uploading them to his host to check the pages.

http://www.omnicron.ca/

This is a little Personal Web Server Program, that allows you run a folder as a Web Site. It supports PHP and SSI, so all your file extensions wit .php or .shtml you can test offline before uploading them, thats what a few people here do(me included).

It lets you set up an address, generally http://localhost/ and it will run as a normal web server would, yet allow you to remain offline.

Take a look and come back if you need anymore help on that.
Sun 13/10/02 at 10:04
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Exacitally, find out what your host supports and i'm sure someone here will give you the relevant code, this is such a stupid thread.
Sun 13/10/02 at 02:39
Regular
"How Handy."
If you had lots and lots of web pages, you'd need to have a decent host, and then you could use PHP.
Sat 12/10/02 at 20:44
Regular
If I were to have lots, and lots of web pages, maybe hundreds, it would be very time consuming, to modify each, and every page. Thats why im looking for an easier alternative.
Sat 12/10/02 at 18:11
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I don't like Applets, they don't work well with my IE6 browser, infact most of them don't work at all.

If you don't want to use any type of include process why not just copy & paste the menu HTML into each page?
Sat 12/10/02 at 16:36
Regular
How would this java applet thing work then???

If I were to update a menu, which would go down the left hand side of the screen, and I were to use iframes, I would have to change every single page, with the dimensions of the iframe, eg. if I were to put more things into the menu. I don't really want to use PHP, as I would prefer all of the pages to be labelled as .html. Mainly so I can view the pages offline, and don't have to load them up, before I can view them. This SSI thing, would that involved changing the page name aswell?? Would I be able to view them offline, without publishing them to the internet, inorder to see what they look like.

I have experimented with some sort of java, for a menu, but im not too sure if it is compatible with most popular browsers, that can be about 4 years old - so that everyone can view the side bar. And wouldn't the users have to have java enabled, in their options menu?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.