GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Have you lived?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/10/02 at 16:38
Regular
Got this from my sis
-----

Close your eyes and go back in time...

Before the Internet...
Before semi-automatics,
joyriders and crack....
Before SEGA or Super Nintendo...
Way back........
I'm talking about Hide and Seek in thepark.
The cornershop.
Hopscotch.
Butterscotch.
Skipping.
Handstands.
Football with an old can.
Fingerbob.
Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle and Dennis the menace.
Roly Poly.Hula Hoops, jumping the stream, building dams.

The smell of the sun andfresh cut grass.
Bazooka /Jaw breakers bubble gum.
An ice cream cone on a warm summer night from the van that plays a tune
Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball.

Wait...... Watching Saturday morning cartoons, short commercials or the flicks. Children's Film Foundation, The Double Deckers, Red Hand Gang, The Tomorrow People, Tiswas or Swapshop?, and 'Why Don't You'? - or staying up for Doctor Who and Minder. When around the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed like

going somewhere.

Earwigs, wasps, stinging
nettles and bee stings.
White dog poo.
Sticky fingers.
Playing Marbles. Ball bearings. Big 'uns and Little
'uns.
Cops and
Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro.
Climbing trees.
Building igloos out of snow banks.
Walking to school, no matter what the
weather.
Running till
you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles. Being tired from playing....remember that? The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons were the ultimate weapon. Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle. Choppers and Grifters. Eating raw jelly. Orange squash ice pops. Remember when... There were two types of trainers - girls and boys, and Dunlop Green Flash
-
and the only time you wore them at school was for
P.E.
You knew everyone
in your street - and so did your parents.
It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.

You didn't sleep a wink on
Christmas eve.
When
nobody owned a pure-bred dog.
When 25p was decent pocket money
Curly Whirlys. Space Dust. Toffo's. Top
Trumps.
When you'd
reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.
When nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got
there.
When any parent
could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to
carry groceries and nobody, not even
the kid, thought a thing of it.
When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home. Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc. Parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! and some of us are still afraid of them. Didn't that feel good? Just to go back and say, Yeah, I remember that! Remember when.... Decisions were made by going " Ip Dip Dog Sh## " "Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.

Money issues were handled by
whoever was the banker in "Monopoly".
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs. And the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one. It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog 123' wasn't an Olympic event. Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a catapult. Nobody was prettier than Mum. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.

Taking drugs meant
orange-flavoured chewable aspirin.
Ice cream was considered a basic food group.

Getting a foot of snow was a
dream come true.
Older
siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors. If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED.
Wed 09/10/02 at 11:13
"High polygon count"
A few weeks ago I was walking past the sweets section in Tescos, and decided to go nuts. I bought some Pez and a Mickey Mouse dispenser for them; a Sherbert Dip (the ones with the lollipop, not the liquorice), some sweet cigarettes (now called 'candy sticks' and without the red fake glowing end), and... some other sweets I can't remember.

All in all it cost me about £7. When I was a kid, I'd have got it all for about £1.50.

The 'candy sticks' tasted just like I remember - really, REALLY sweet - I always did love those. But the sherbert dip is a rip-off these days! There's about 1/4 as much sherbert, and the lollipop is less than half the size I remember. And no, it's not just because I've gotten bigger - it really is smaller!

Another thing I haven't seen in ages is the old Spud Guns. I don't know if any of you had them, but it was a pistol which you jabbed into a raw potato, which blocked the barrel. Then you sqeezed the trigger section and it blasted the little piece of spud quite a distance, with a really satisgying 'pop'. :-) Used to spend ages with a mate, firing it off of the balcony of our flats at people in the street below. :-)

Oh yeah, and I remember one winter it snowed quite heavily. I scooped some up and made it into a snowball, and kept it in our freezer. The the following June, when it was really hot, after running out of potato for my gun, I got this snowball out of the freezer and threw it at a woman walking past. :-)
Wed 09/10/02 at 09:49
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Nomad Soul wrote:
> White dog poo.... What ever happened to white dog poo? - You never see
> it anymore.

I still see it when I take my dogs out in the woods - next time I see some do you and Meka want to put it in a bag and send it to you - just so you can reminisce ?

You probably dont see it on the streets nowadays cos most people clear it up - or like me take the dogs in the woods so you dont have to bother about it !
Wed 09/10/02 at 09:45
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
You can tell what a great post this was when it made me think about it during the night !!

I was remembering playing kiss chase at school and always trying to catch Victoria Abbey - trouble is she didn't like me cos I wa sthe kid with all the freckles !

We used to get the cane at Junior School and if we told Dad when we got home it was us who used to get another beating - not the teacher like nowadays !

My Nanna (God bless her) used to make me cheese and tomato sauce sarnies. In white bread (Brown bread and Coffee were considered luxury items then!)

5p pocket money would get me the Dandy and 8 Fruit Salad Chews.

After tea I would pick up my football and walk down the street - by myself to local rec and either start or join in a game of football with whoever was there.

Sitting on the wall in the front garden shooting everybody that walked past or even ocassionaly - drove past..

Memories.....

Back to reality now I suppose and do some work to earn some money to pay the mortgage and all the other bills.
Wed 09/10/02 at 09:39
Regular
White dog poo.... What ever happened to white dog poo? - You never see it anymore.
Wed 09/10/02 at 09:33
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Ah great times...maybe the old days are best in some ways, everything was a lot simpler. When you're a kid and growing up and people say they're the best days of you life you don't believe them, and then you only believe when its gone. Still its great to see things like Transformers coming back - even if they do cost about 20 times what they did back then *sob* oh well, I suppose in ten years time if the forum's still here they'll be people our age reminiscing about their childhood; "Remember when we nicked that stuff from....." Oh dear....

Great post !

~~Belldandy~~
Wed 09/10/02 at 01:12
That felt really great remebering all those days when i use to go buy from the corner shop and hang out in the tree next to the school gate.

Great memories.

I now really appreciate my childhood, i never really relised how happy it was.
Wed 09/10/02 at 00:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I dont think so, I've kept doing the same sort of things. But I appreciate it more, dont take it for granted.

If you came up to a 8yr old version of me and told me that I'd have to work one day and earn money and pay bills etc etc, I'd tell you you were stupid and try to obliterate you with my death-laser eyes.
Wed 09/10/02 at 00:21
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
So really, you've got younger as you have aged.

...no? oh, ok then.
Wed 09/10/02 at 00:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
So many things there I remember, and so many things I haven't done in an age.
I used to play over the field, create universes and languages for my Star Wars toys.
Saturday morning pictures with my mates whilst our parents went shopping - The Children's Film Foundation movies. I remember "Tommy & The Magic T-Shirt" and one about a monkey.

I remember my grandad taking me into a toy shop and letting me have whatever I wanted, and I remember him dying Xmas eve when I was about 6. I dont remember it clearly, but I do remember opening my presents and finding a weetabix box full of Stormtroopers for my "Empire Army".
I remember he got me a genuine Fireman's helmet because I wanted one, still have it in my wardrobe to this day.

I remember cycling for hours and then laying in fields with my mates and telling stories.
I remember so many things mentioned and so many things that are just mine.

But I also know I'm still a kid. I may owe more money and my mum can't sort everything out for me anymore, but I still have fun.
Like I said, last Saturday me and a girl had a swordfight in Hamleys and bought £12 worth of sweets, ate the lot and got so bloody sick.

I talk rubbish on these forums and dont get involved in weighty discussions about politics and the world anymore, simply because it makes me feel helpless.
That's what I remember most about being a kid, being absolutely invincible. I could kill the biggest monsters with my ray-gun, could save the world if it came down it because I had a lightsaber that glowed in the dark.
If there were any problems, then mum would fix them.

Now I'm an adult I discovered that isn't true. There is no Santa Claus, mum can't fix everything and you can either behave sensibly and suffocate that part of you that used to be able to do everything - or you risk frowns from strangers for having swordfights or giving your mobile to a tramp.

But I dont care, I play drums and still go out on adventures with my boys and do everything I used to. But I appreciate it more now.
Wed 09/10/02 at 00:16
Regular
well buddy, I have 2 years to go til the big 25. to be honest I think my peak has gone. When I was 18 I had no bills to pay or anything and beer was cheap, things were new and different. Now things aint as good. Maybe its just a lull .... :o)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.