GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Isn't the ps2 memory card just too expensive"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/11/00 at 19:50
Regular
I have a ps2 and two games but i still haven't bought a memory card coz i can't afford one, i have to survive without it for a few weeks and that means that to play tekken bowl mode I first have to unlock it every time and it is very exhausting. Hey and can you tell me where I can get one for free or less than twenty quid.
Tue 12/12/00 at 18:22
Regular
Thanks, I`ll try that with my Hi-Fi!
However, if this works I will probably not bother with the Soundbeat 2. (Is the 300 Watt bit stated as good as I think it sounds, or am I thinking of the wrong thing. My speakers are only 75 Watts each, and are easily capable of deafening me, so what would 300watts do?)
Mon 11/12/00 at 23:58
About the Screenbeat Soundstation 2. I am going to be getting it as it does look like a really good piece of kit for a good price as well! But seeing as I am getting it for X-Mas, I won't really be able to say how good it is! I had to do it early, because to get things delivered before X-Mas you need to order by Friday 15th!!!

I also found a way to connect my PS2 up to my 2 Sony Speakers. I have got a Sony Hi-Fi, with 4 Mini-Disk sockets. The Sockets are the same size as the connectors for the Sony Cables. SO what I did is I bought an RGB Cable. Then I got the Red & White connectors and put them into the back of the Hi-Fi, and put the yellow connector into the front of the TV (For Visual). Tuned it into Mini-Disk, and it worked!!! Anyone else thought of this???
Mon 11/12/00 at 23:17
Regular
Sounds good, but would that have delayed Sony even more?
Mon 11/12/00 at 20:42
"High polygon count"
>Am I not right or what?

You are.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood your post, but I believe I did say that, even though I didn't personally object to the price, a memory card should be included?
Mon 11/12/00 at 20:05
Regular
On the subject of expensive accessories, is the sound beat 2 thingy (that 300 watt piece of kit sold by SR) any good?
Does anyone have it? Is anyone thinking of buying it?
Mon 11/12/00 at 19:52
Gizmo and Wookie,
I can see what you are saying about Play-Stations not coming equipped with memory cards, But had Sony included, in the selling price, the memory card it would not have been such a blow to many people.
Obviosly the price would have been £X.00 amount dearer ,but it would not have felt like you where getting stung for something that you really need.
Take the originator of this discussion for example, If the unit had cost say £20.00 more , He would have saved that amount and payed it ,not now having to save again for a memory card.Even if they only supplied a 1 or 2 meg card, it would have got you started until you saved up enough for or needed another card for your Save Games!.
Am I not right or what?.
I am one of the lucky ones who has a good job and can afford to spend money on little toys like this , but a lot of young people are not. To them it is , like I said before, as if you are getting ripped for that little bit of your hard earned cash all the time. Not on in my books.
Mon 11/12/00 at 00:38
"High polygon count"
I don't think PS2 memory cards are excessively priced, but I think £20 would have been a better price - £25 tops.

And yes, I think one should be supplied with the console.

When the PS1 was first released, many games didn't even have a memory card option. I remember several titles having a system whereby you had to play through to the end of a level, and you were then given a 'code'. This consisted of a combination of the PS symbols, which you entered at the start of your next game in order to carry on from where you left off.

Of course, such systems are rarely used now, so a memory card is pretty much essential - which is why they should now be included.
Sun 10/12/00 at 21:55
Hello

There is nothing unusual about the PS2 not having a memory card as standard. When the original Playstation was launched as far as I know a memory card was not a standard part, neither was this the case with the N64 or the Sega Dreamcast.
Also if you go to Special Reserve they will sell you an official Sony PS2 memory card for £24.99 which seems to be one of the cheapest at the moment.
Remeber also that the PS2 doesn`t currently have an hard drive like pc`s do to save games. So you are going to need something like a memory card to save to.

Anyway after all that I hope you enjoy your new console. Your`e one of the lucky ones I`ve got to wait until January!

:>)
Sun 10/12/00 at 20:47
Not only is it too expensive, why is it not fitted as standard to the basic machine in the first place.
After having every other gaming platform ,from the Amiga 500 to 1200 and then Mega Drives, P.Cs all the way up to the Nintendo 64, it is totally strange to me having to buy a memory card to save your games!!!.
I only found this out after we picked the PS2 up from Electronics Boutique, when the salesman told us that we would need one!. And then that it would cost an extra £27.99.
This is all on top of having to buy a few games to get started with. My god , I thought owning a decent PC was expensive!!!!!!!!!1.
Sun 10/12/00 at 18:00
To ssxpro

Sorry about that I thought the original PSX memory cards were 1Mb! Anyway I still think that the PS2 memory card is being sold at a reasonable price.

:>)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.