GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are Games Becoming Too Scary"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/10/02 at 17:30
Regular
The question is, are games becoming too scary for our eyes. When Resident evil first burst onto the screen, i wasn't totally conviced and bewildered at the thought of scary games hence the name survival horror. Resident Evil is more action packed whereas the ever so spooky Silent Hill 2 is scary and shouldn't be taken to lightly. Some of my online contacts and friends have often moaned that games are too scary! I always say to them turn the volume down or switch off and sell the damn good. As the gaming industry continues to expand, the amount of pologons increases and the experience a programmer can use in certain projects.

There are also some games that boast about certain aspects of their game which develop into nothing to be kind at best. It's true that without tension and atmosphere a scary game becomes a criminal Disney title at ehart. There are so many games these days breaking the line all over for games of a scary nature such as some PC games. Aliens VS predator for one is a scary game. The idea is to trap the gamer in a world that brings elements of ones imagination into light and expands the brain and opens a secret doorway to what i call a seven sense. I was apalled though by some titles which came accross rather blunt and poinltess to be in the survial horror genre.

Before playing these games i tend to turn the surround sound on quite high and turn out the lights. This is where major shocks will bend your fear and mould it into a creature that even Anne Widacomb would fear. It is treacharous to say and think that games aren't scary. Games are scary in their own way like 'The Mummy' is scary becuase it's appaling graphics scare the life out of me and make me wish that it isn't a game at all.

Pending the release's of several new titles such as Eternal Darkness and Silent Hill 3 this really brings more life to the genre and will make the dead turn in their grave or of course wake them up for a quick bite on the old nummy neck. As these games continue to get scary, the true question here is that will the developers scare away some customers. I have to say possibly and yes depending on the hype of the game. Silent Hill 2 scared me silly and made my hair stand on edge. It was just the fear of what was round the corners and what on sweet Earth was lurking around the corner, waiting to disembowl and wear my skin. However i sold the game (No Laughing.) Some games are too scary these days. While some games have changed their whole approach to the genre such as Resident Evil Code Veronica. Resident Evil was just a highly awaited action title for the PS2. Ohhh wait the game actually shook me around a few times, not the most nail biting title I have to admit.

The only title out to date which gives me a truely magnificent blood curdling feeling is that of the Resident Evil that has been remade for the Nintendo Gamecube. This is where I pop the question (pardon the poor poor pun) and I trule do pop it ohhhh dear God. Are games becoming too scary and my reply to that is. Stop winging you little meddlesome child. No seriously if you ever stumble upon a game in the survival horror genre then you know it's obviously going to be a scary experience. Games such as Onimusha and Devil May Cry aren't scary and only offer action with fancy moves.

Games are becoming very scary and I thank the producers greatly for the fact that games live up to the genre's title. I strongly suggest that if your scared of Onimusha then don't go for the Resi or Silent Hill series. These games unmissable however are scary and that concludes my theory on scary games if you can call it a theory ahahah.)

I hope most people agree and I have also prepared a small rating of each scary title.

Resident Evil: Scary with some scenes which lean more toward the action genre 8/10

Silent Hill 2: A very scary and atmospheric game which will give children nightmares unless you have spent time inside (Shivers) 10/10

Alone In The Dark: Not too frightening although tension is a key factor 6/10.

Thanx for reading my post hope to hear from ya soon
.:Sedg:.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 03/10/02 at 17:30
Regular
The question is, are games becoming too scary for our eyes. When Resident evil first burst onto the screen, i wasn't totally conviced and bewildered at the thought of scary games hence the name survival horror. Resident Evil is more action packed whereas the ever so spooky Silent Hill 2 is scary and shouldn't be taken to lightly. Some of my online contacts and friends have often moaned that games are too scary! I always say to them turn the volume down or switch off and sell the damn good. As the gaming industry continues to expand, the amount of pologons increases and the experience a programmer can use in certain projects.

There are also some games that boast about certain aspects of their game which develop into nothing to be kind at best. It's true that without tension and atmosphere a scary game becomes a criminal Disney title at ehart. There are so many games these days breaking the line all over for games of a scary nature such as some PC games. Aliens VS predator for one is a scary game. The idea is to trap the gamer in a world that brings elements of ones imagination into light and expands the brain and opens a secret doorway to what i call a seven sense. I was apalled though by some titles which came accross rather blunt and poinltess to be in the survial horror genre.

Before playing these games i tend to turn the surround sound on quite high and turn out the lights. This is where major shocks will bend your fear and mould it into a creature that even Anne Widacomb would fear. It is treacharous to say and think that games aren't scary. Games are scary in their own way like 'The Mummy' is scary becuase it's appaling graphics scare the life out of me and make me wish that it isn't a game at all.

Pending the release's of several new titles such as Eternal Darkness and Silent Hill 3 this really brings more life to the genre and will make the dead turn in their grave or of course wake them up for a quick bite on the old nummy neck. As these games continue to get scary, the true question here is that will the developers scare away some customers. I have to say possibly and yes depending on the hype of the game. Silent Hill 2 scared me silly and made my hair stand on edge. It was just the fear of what was round the corners and what on sweet Earth was lurking around the corner, waiting to disembowl and wear my skin. However i sold the game (No Laughing.) Some games are too scary these days. While some games have changed their whole approach to the genre such as Resident Evil Code Veronica. Resident Evil was just a highly awaited action title for the PS2. Ohhh wait the game actually shook me around a few times, not the most nail biting title I have to admit.

The only title out to date which gives me a truely magnificent blood curdling feeling is that of the Resident Evil that has been remade for the Nintendo Gamecube. This is where I pop the question (pardon the poor poor pun) and I trule do pop it ohhhh dear God. Are games becoming too scary and my reply to that is. Stop winging you little meddlesome child. No seriously if you ever stumble upon a game in the survival horror genre then you know it's obviously going to be a scary experience. Games such as Onimusha and Devil May Cry aren't scary and only offer action with fancy moves.

Games are becoming very scary and I thank the producers greatly for the fact that games live up to the genre's title. I strongly suggest that if your scared of Onimusha then don't go for the Resi or Silent Hill series. These games unmissable however are scary and that concludes my theory on scary games if you can call it a theory ahahah.)

I hope most people agree and I have also prepared a small rating of each scary title.

Resident Evil: Scary with some scenes which lean more toward the action genre 8/10

Silent Hill 2: A very scary and atmospheric game which will give children nightmares unless you have spent time inside (Shivers) 10/10

Alone In The Dark: Not too frightening although tension is a key factor 6/10.

Thanx for reading my post hope to hear from ya soon
.:Sedg:.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.