GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bye, bye Resi deal!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/09/02 at 09:52
Regular
It's a damn shame, but all those fallible Ninteno fans who didn't believe me when I said that Capcom were screwing them over with rehashed old games for their console will now have to eat the latest news, to my delight of course!!! ;)

Capcom jumped ship with the Resi deal because it wasn't making enough money on the PS2 brand with some stiff competition, most notably from itself with Onimusha and DMC. So, in order to make a few easy bucks on a system which isn't difficult to develop for they pulled all the old control systems and old AI routines out of Resi from the PS, and gave it a nice shiny new coat.

Damn you Ninties are so stupid, when Bonus has insider information (wink, wink, nod nod) and tries to tell the world that Resi on the Gamecube is an attempt by Capcom to make a quick buck out of a so far untapped Nintendo user base, LISTEN!!!!

Ok, I'll go away and gloat now, I hope Microsoft snap up Capcom and Resi exclusivity soon, just to shut up some fanboys who are more loyal to Nintendo than their own mothers!!!

;)
Wed 02/10/02 at 13:36
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
>
> Well I'd like him to explain these points to me:
>
> 1. Why did my PS1 last me 6 years with no trouble, and why is it still
> working now two years after I sold it? (I sold it to a family member,
> that's how I know.)
>
> 2. Why is my launch PS2 still going strong, with no problems
> whatsoever?
>
> 3. Why would gamers have to buy a replacement, when - until very
> recently - Sony were replacing defective PS2's for free?

I think the whole breakage thing is if you handle slightly roughly - I have heard of PS1's and 2's developing abnormalities, although I can't really comment as I never move mine around. I've had my PS1 for about six or seven years and it still works, but little bits of plastic fell off the spoke thingy that spins the disc round. I also have a Sony TV that the on/off button stopped working on and we had to order a new one. I'm not sure how old that was.

> Next, Mikami said that Kingdom Hearts' strong sales are due to
> "aura purchase," meaning that customers are buying the
> game
> because their friends have bought it or like it, regardless of
> whether
> they like the game themselves. He said that Kingdom Hearts does not
> deserve its 780,000 sales or 6800 yen price tag.
>
> Isn't that the case with most games? Your friends have a game, you
> try it, you like it, you buy it.

Well I think he meant that people's own opinion doesn't factor into it - they buy it because their friends have it, it's cool to have it, and they want to be part of the crowd. I can see his point, because Kingdom Hearts doesn't look like it has much actual content, more of an aesthetically pleasing game to keep the kids quiet (although I haven't played it so that statement is completely unfounded) adn I can't see it being better than Resident Evil for the GC.

> The whole thing sounds to me like Mr. Mikami has a very large bunch of
> extremely sour grapes - for some reason. Maybe he wanted a lot of
> money from Sony for an exclusive RE license, and they refused to pay?

Maybe. Maybe he was just tired. :)
Wed 02/10/02 at 00:12
"High polygon count"
Blank wrote:
> Mikami accused Sony of purposely designing their consoles to break
> easily so that gamers will have to buy a replacement.

Well I'd like him to explain these points to me:

1. Why did my PS1 last me 6 years with no trouble, and why is it still working now two years after I sold it? (I sold it to a family member, that's how I know.)

2. Why is my launch PS2 still going strong, with no problems whatsoever?

3. Why would gamers have to buy a replacement, when - until very recently - Sony were replacing defective PS2's for free?

> He asked why no one has complained about this

Probably because it isn't true.

> but when Mikami was asked if he thought Sony's customers are foolish,
> he replied, "Yes."

> Next, Mikami said that Kingdom Hearts' strong sales are due to
> "aura purchase," meaning that customers are buying the game
> because their friends have bought it or like it, regardless of whether
> they like the game themselves. He said that Kingdom Hearts does not
> deserve its 780,000 sales or 6800 yen price tag.

Isn't that the case with most games? Your friends have a game, you try it, you like it, you buy it.

The whole thing sounds to me like Mr. Mikami has a very large bunch of extremely sour grapes - for some reason. Maybe he wanted a lot of money from Sony for an exclusive RE license, and they refused to pay?
Tue 01/10/02 at 22:26
Regular
Hur hur, what a naughty little man he is.

Hopefully Capcom will fall out with Sony so Nintendo can swoop in and get them 1st party. Hell if Shinji what's his face doesn't like Kingdom Hearts then he can make his own version with the Mickey Mouse license.

:D
Tue 01/10/02 at 21:57
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Capcom's Shinji Mikami criticizes Sony and Square

Shinji Mikami, producer of Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, strongly criticized Sony and Square in a recent radio interview in Japan.

Mikami accused Sony of purposely designing their consoles to break easily so that gamers will have to buy a replacement. He also said that Sony's high sales figures are helped by the fact that many gamers, himself included, have had to buy a second PlayStation and PlayStation 2.

From there, Mikami went on to accuse Sony of doing the same thing with their line of PCs, Walkmans, and cell phones. He asked why no one has complained about this and said that it was almost like cheating and committing a crime. The radio DJ tried to interrupt Mikami and shift the conversation to another topic, but when Mikami was asked if he thought Sony's customers are foolish, he replied, "Yes."

Next, Mikami said that Kingdom Hearts' strong sales are due to "aura purchase," meaning that customers are buying the game because their friends have bought it or like it, regardless of whether they like the game themselves. He said that Kingdom Hearts does not deserve its 780,000 sales or 6800 yen price tag.

Finally, he apologized to Square, saying he is upset that Kingdom Hearts has sold more copies than Biohazard for the Gamecube. He said that Biohazard is the better game, but Kingdom Hearts is not a bad game either.

Neither Square nor Sony has made any comments regarding Mikami's statements.

-Gameforms
Tue 01/10/02 at 21:01
Regular
"Back For Good"
It's true, He publicly had a go at Sony for their products which he said were 'made to break'. Also he was annoyed that Kingdom Hearts on the PS2 sold more than Biohazard on the Gamecube which he said was a far better game.
Tue 01/10/02 at 19:25
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Seriously! He said that Sony make poor quality products that are designed to break easily, so that people (himself included) had to buy a second PS1 and PS2. He also criticised Square, and said he couldn't believe Kingdom Hearts sold more than the Biohazard remake - he said it was good, but just not AS good.

It was on a lot of the games news sites like gameforms.
Tue 01/10/02 at 08:57
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Same here, had my Sony stereo system 4 years now, never used a lens cleaner or anything and it's as good as it was on day one !

~~Belldandy~~
Mon 30/09/02 at 22:45
"High polygon count"
Blank wrote:
> Shinji Mikami recently said on Japanese radio that Sony made products
> that were easily breakable so people would have to buy a second
> console/CD player/whatever.

What?!?!

If that's true, he's lucky he didn't land himself a massive lawsuit! All of my stuff is Sony, and all of it has been fantastic.

I had one problem with my TV, and when they couldn't repair it, they gave me a new one, completely free!
Mon 30/09/02 at 21:24
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Shinji Mikami recently said on Japanese radio that Sony made products that were easily breakable so people would have to buy a second console/CD player/whatever.

Anyway, Capcom probably will take the new games to other consoles, just like they did with Code Veronica that was *supposedly* Dreamcast exclusive. Add a few seconds extra footage and it's a completely new game apparently.

The six games only actually include three new games - because RE2, 3 and CVX are ports, plus one is only a remake, so there's only RE0 and RE4 that are completely new.

I personally would be peed if the series went to X-Box, but in the long run I know Capcom would take the games back to PS2/PS3/GameCube/GameCube 2 or whatever. Capcom seemingly don't care about their reputation, in a few years they'll probably be alone with no one allowing them to develop for their console. Aww.
Mon 30/09/02 at 21:12
Regular
"Back For Good"
Bonus wrote:
> Capcom jumped ship with the Resi deal because it wasn't making enough
> money on the PS2 brand with some stiff competition..

WRONG, Shinji's team tried very hard to create Resident Evil 4 for the PS2 but due to one attempt taking over as Devil May Cry and the other grinding to a halt (because of Development problems with the hardware) they decided to move the franchise over to the Gamecube. Since then they’ve supported the console because they believe a game should offer ‘fun gameplay’ rather than the best graphics which they think every console tries to offer except Nintendo.

> Damn you Ninties are so stupid, when Bonus has insider information
> (wink, wink, nod nod) and tries to tell the world that Resi on the
> Gamecube is an attempt by Capcom to make a quick buck out of a so far
> untapped Nintendo user base, LISTEN!!!!
>

AGAIN WRONG, If Capcom were only interested in 'making a buck' they would have done a quick cut and paste job on the PS2 with anything they could get their hands on to reach it’s wider audience (therefore more money) but instead made a wide decision. If Resident Evil 4 appeared on the ps2 it would have horrid borders and *yawn* slowdown but It’s going to be better than the remarkable Remake on the Gamecube which is a very fine game indeed!!

> Ok, I'll go away and gloat now, I hope Microsoft snap up Capcom and
> Resi exclusivity soon, just to shut up some fanboys who are more loyal
> to Nintendo than their own mothers!!!

Personally I belive Resi should be with Sony but seeing the flexibility of the Gamecube I think Nintendo should hang on to that one, also see tagline :-P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.