GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Backing up E-mails"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/09/02 at 14:29
Regular
Does anyone know how to do this?
Sun 29/09/02 at 14:29
Regular
"the burning sky"
Does anyone know how to do this?
Sun 29/09/02 at 14:53
Regular
"..."
have you got win xp?
Sun 29/09/02 at 15:21
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
The way I do it is to goto the File they are stored in. If your using Outlook Express, look under

C:\Windows\Aplications Data\Identities\*\Microsfot\Outlook Express\

and here should be the files for Outlook Express, where your E-mails are stored. I just make a copy of these files, and if I need to, just paste them back in this location when I format my Hard Drive.

I think there is an Import/Export function within Outlook and Outlook Express though, which probably is easier and quicker to do, but thats how I do it.

Just make sure if you paste say the inbox file back into the location, it will overright any existing E-mails you have in your Inbox.
Sun 29/09/02 at 15:21
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Oh, and the * represents a really filladly name, something like {2B0FC840-CF56-11D6-84E7-8EB94F1CF50E} but it mighy be different on your machine.
Sun 29/09/02 at 18:25
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Darkus wrote:
> have you got win xp?

Yes I have got WinXP now and am using Outlook Express 6 and have just found a really annoying thing that the Microsoft boys in Seattle must have loved implementing.

I sent an email from my works address and attached an executable file to it and sent it to my home address. Get home that night and download the file and OE6 and XP decided without my consent that the executable would be a virus and has therefore removed it from my email.

Hang on a second, I've sent myself a file which I know to be perfectly ok and it's been deleted by the software.....what's all that about?

Anyone got any ideas how to turn this off (if you can) or do you have to send everything as a zip file from now on?
Sun 29/09/02 at 20:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Um. I get sent hundreds of viri every month and XP does nothing about it. Slap your antivirus software.
Sun 29/09/02 at 23:28
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Slap your antivirus software.

It has nothing to do with my anti virus software thanks. It's actually an internal switch set by OE6 which says that any .exe files plus others but this is one I know of are deemed to be a virus straight away.

MS seem to think that everyone doesn't utilise anti virus software and have decided to stop them from reaching the user.

Fortunately they've also made it that you can turn it off as well. Goto Tools > Options and select the Security tab and untick the "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" and voila the attachments re-appear as they should have done in the first place :D
Mon 30/09/02 at 00:41
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
It's actually a clever move on Microsoft's part. (It's only just been implemented with SP1)

You see e-mails are spread because the great computing illiterati will click on any attachment even if it says imavirus.exe.

So simply block all attachments. (everything gets blocked, even JPEGs)

Anyone with an once of know-how will find the option to turn it off - these people are therefore intelligent enough not to spread viruses - and those who can't are really too dumb to be allowed anywhere near a computer, yet alone a virus-bearing e-mail.
Mon 30/09/02 at 02:28
Regular
".......on the attac"
Good point Mr Happy

If Microsoft could now force everyone to send emails using BCC instead of CC then the amount of spam we get would be cut as well......
Mon 30/09/02 at 08:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
But if Microsoft had antivirus software built in to the OS with auto-reporting and updating it would build one of the largest anti-virus knowledge bases in the world. Fools.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.