GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Scammed on eBay.Not as protected as you think."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/07/08 at 16:51
Regular
"I like turtles"
I bought an item off eBay a few weeks ago from seller who turned out to be a scamming,thieving,low life scumbag.I have been in touch with a few of his other victims and no one has received their items either or indeed had any response to any communication with him whatsoever.His address has 'london,london' listed where the street name and house number should be.I put in a buyer complaint to Paypal and this is the response I have received so far:

After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer
Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favour, however, we were unable to recover any
funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement,
recovery of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in
question if they become available in the seller's account in the future,
and will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may
include issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the
account. Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors, including
member complaints, to determine when to take action. Due to privacy laws,
we cannot discuss the details of any action taken. We hope you understand
our policy and that it reassures you that you are safe using PayPal.

Awesome !!!,just as soon as he puts some funds back into his account I'll get a refund.Errrr.. think I may be in for a long wait!!!.I emailed them again asking why I was not covered under their buyer protection scheme and got only a link to their terms and conditions and a message telling me read through them ?.

I phoned and spoke to one of their agents who when asked could not give me an answer as to why I was not covered (and the case is now listed as being closed).They now say they are going to have another look into my case and let me know their decision (regarding my claim) by the end of this week.

The seller has apparently spent the cash he has stolen onto his Paypal account (over £400 in total,it maybe more ?) on mobile top up vouchers he bought on eBay (where I presume the codes are mailed to him not physically shipped ?).So Paypal cannot recover the funds.

Has anyone come across this before ?.If I do not get a refund who do I complain to ? (trading standards,financial obudsman ?).My point is Paypal buyer protection is advertised on most eBay listings (it certainly was on this one) and yet when you get scammed they seem extremely reluctant to reimburse you when it is obviously going to have to come out of their own pockets.My account is verified and with a confirmed delivery address so I feel I should be covered but at the moment it is not looking as though I am.The item he scammed me for was around £50,so its not going to ruin my life but it has p****d me off!.Any help would be gratefully received.
Wed 09/07/08 at 22:14
Regular
"eat toast!"
i'm saddened by the loss of money. I would have thought paypal was a safe and reliable way to transfer funds. This just makes the whole thing a bit of a farce tbh. We might as well have used direct debit instead of paypal altogether.

Have you reported the person to ebay? was there any suspicious tell tale signs of a dodgy dealer? Like feedback, naff ads etc?
Wed 09/07/08 at 18:36
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Who do you complain to? Everyone. :-)
PayPal are regulated by the FSA so you can certainly complain to the financial ombudsman. Although you're only meant to go to them once you've gone through PayPal's complaints procedure and given them sufficient time to respond I think.
And I'm not sure if this works anymore but I always used to make sure all PayPal payments were funded by a credit card so I could raise a dispute with them too.

Unfortunately though, as you've discovered yourself Paypal's buyer protection is subject to alot of ifs/buts/maybes so it wouldnt surprise me in the least if they've conveniently found one that applies.
Wed 09/07/08 at 16:51
Regular
"I like turtles"
I bought an item off eBay a few weeks ago from seller who turned out to be a scamming,thieving,low life scumbag.I have been in touch with a few of his other victims and no one has received their items either or indeed had any response to any communication with him whatsoever.His address has 'london,london' listed where the street name and house number should be.I put in a buyer complaint to Paypal and this is the response I have received so far:

After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer
Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favour, however, we were unable to recover any
funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement,
recovery of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in
question if they become available in the seller's account in the future,
and will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may
include issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the
account. Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors, including
member complaints, to determine when to take action. Due to privacy laws,
we cannot discuss the details of any action taken. We hope you understand
our policy and that it reassures you that you are safe using PayPal.

Awesome !!!,just as soon as he puts some funds back into his account I'll get a refund.Errrr.. think I may be in for a long wait!!!.I emailed them again asking why I was not covered under their buyer protection scheme and got only a link to their terms and conditions and a message telling me read through them ?.

I phoned and spoke to one of their agents who when asked could not give me an answer as to why I was not covered (and the case is now listed as being closed).They now say they are going to have another look into my case and let me know their decision (regarding my claim) by the end of this week.

The seller has apparently spent the cash he has stolen onto his Paypal account (over £400 in total,it maybe more ?) on mobile top up vouchers he bought on eBay (where I presume the codes are mailed to him not physically shipped ?).So Paypal cannot recover the funds.

Has anyone come across this before ?.If I do not get a refund who do I complain to ? (trading standards,financial obudsman ?).My point is Paypal buyer protection is advertised on most eBay listings (it certainly was on this one) and yet when you get scammed they seem extremely reluctant to reimburse you when it is obviously going to have to come out of their own pockets.My account is verified and with a confirmed delivery address so I feel I should be covered but at the moment it is not looking as though I am.The item he scammed me for was around £50,so its not going to ruin my life but it has p****d me off!.Any help would be gratefully received.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.