GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How does E-Bay work???"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/09/02 at 18:32
Regular
I was on e-bay looking to sell some PS2 games and DVD's until I came across the Invoice every month???

Im alright with the 15pence listing charge and 5% fee at the end of a sale, but what is this invoice every month business... I want to sell some games for the first time on e-bay but dont want to use my card... so by cheque I read... but they say they will make a payment every month by invoice on my account, is this even for when i'm not even selling something or is it just to do with the selling of an item???

Cheers for any help clearing up this mess...

*If anyone would like to purchase the games i have for sale directly from me then e-mail me: [email protected]

Resident Evil CV
LMA Manager 2002
Fifa Football 2002
Max Payne
Medal of Honour: Frontline
MGS2
Evolution DVD
Trigger Happy TV Series 2 DVD

Cheers

P.S.> Im off out in 10mins, so If I dont reply I will soon...

Why?
Sat 05/10/02 at 19:52
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Cheers for that.
>
> It turned out the guy was genuine - his graphics card just needed the
> drivers updating. Just my overly suspicious mind I guess!

Best way to be on Ebay, trust me on that !Most people are trustworthy, once people get 20 or so positives they're okay. A gret trick for sellers to do, if you suspect someone isn't going to pay up, is to use the "search" option on Ebay.

Search "By Buyer", include completed items, and see how much someone has been buying, if its a lot of stuff and they've not got much feedback then start worrying. Lastly, my last it of advice for anyone selling is toonly give buyers 7 business days after the auction ends to pay up. After that relist the item and do a non paying bidder to get your money back, unless they have a genuine reason which you believe, though this can be hard. It's down to how nice you're feeling at the time I guess....

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 05/10/02 at 19:13
"High polygon count"
Cheers for that.

It turned out the guy was genuine - his graphics card just needed the drivers updating. Just my overly suspicious mind I guess!
Sat 05/10/02 at 10:13
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Does anyone have experience of
> eBay's policies in this sort of situation, or is it just one of those
> things you have to risk?

When you list items there is one field you can fil in when doing the listing called payment instructions. In this box it's best to put anything that could involve returns/refunds. By quoting exactly what your policy is you are covering yourself in the event of people like this guy - who if he still says it isn't working - has probably seen you don't have any feedback and thinks you're a somewhat easy target for a scam like this.

With PC games I always state "All games have been tested and are working. Please ensure you're system meets the minimum requirements for the game. PC games are non returnable unless damaged in the post and you have opted for insurance".

Sounds harsh I know, but I do likewise on all my entertainment items and I've not had one complaint yet out of 200+ feedbacks !

~~Belldandy~~
Thu 03/10/02 at 22:05
My problem isn't with buyers, it's with payments - I've had two email reminders warning me that I'l be disconnected if I don't pay up - and as I always saw eBay as a low priority, I left it too late - and now I'm banned.

I've paid them back now, but I think it's too late. Baned for life - and I'm not even 20 yet!
Wed 02/10/02 at 12:08
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
If he gives you negative feedback It will be hard to get rid off it, and since you don't have anny posative feedback to negate that it going to look bad.

If he does return the item then you should be able to get a refund on the percentage that you had to pay ebay.

My advice would be to play along with him, then relist the item. After he has given you feedback, give him negative feedback.

Lots of sellars ask that people with less than 10 rating, or with negative feedback don't bid on their item.

In future you could write in the description, item tested and in full working order, I take no responisibly for incompatability with your PC, or something similar.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take a loss. But you will find that most people are usually decent buyers. I have only had one problem with a buyer before. I think your just unlucky to have come acreoss a problem so early.
Wed 02/10/02 at 11:50
"High polygon count"
I've just started selling on eBay, and I'm already wondering about the number of dodgy people on there!

I sold my copy of Mafia for the PC, which I played through to completion with no problems whatsoever.

The guy received it yesterday, and I've already had an e-mail saying that he can't get it to install because his PC won't read the disc. I'm highly suspicious of this, because not only did I have no problems, but I also keep all of my games in absolutely mint condition - none of my discs have a mark on them - so the problem is likely to be with his PC.

Anyway, he reckons he's going to try it again, and on his dad's PC - and if it doesn't work, he wants his money back. I did initially say that there would be no refunds, because I knew the game was in perfect condition. I've said I will refund, though, as it's my first eBay sale and I don't want to start out on the 'wrong foot' as it were; though I will obviously get the game back and check that it hasn't been damaged at all before I refund the money.

The guy's got a small amount of positive feedback (10 or so) and no negatives, but how do I know that he hasn't simply 'bought' it, copied it, and now wants his money back too? Does anyone have experience of eBay's policies in this sort of situation, or is it just one of those things you have to risk?
Wed 02/10/02 at 09:33
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Lord H wrote:

>
> It's worth doing though. I've sold a few things (and bought loads) and
> I've never come across any probs.

I have had problems with a seller taking money for an item and never sending the item. He told me it was 'Lost in post'.

I have also had problems with a sellar giving me negative feedback 3 months after an auction for an item which he had already given me positive feedback for after I paid for and recieved the item, saying that I had never sent payment or replied to any of his e-mails. Thankfully Ebay Safeharbour removed it for me.
Sat 28/09/02 at 09:56
Cheers guys, I was just a bit confussed about the invoice every month but things seem a little clear now.

Gonna sell on e-Bay now...

Cheers

Why?
Sat 28/09/02 at 07:25
Regular
I have also used Ebay loads of times to buy and sell games and DVD's and have never had a problem. You can get much more selling a game on ebay than part ex at Game etc.

You can also buy new games a lot cheaper than in the shops but you have to wait a little longer after release date to receive your goods.
Sat 28/09/02 at 00:31
Regular
".......on the attac"
It's dead simple Why.

You sell something, you get charged the listing fee and a percentage of the final value. Only when you sell something do you get charged.

The "Monthly" invoice just means they only invoice every month and you will only be invoiced if you have sold something in the preceeding month. If you haven't sold anything you won't be invoiced.

It's worth doing though. I've sold a few things (and bought loads) and I've never come across any probs.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.