GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Have we really stopped evolving?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/09/02 at 23:27
Regular
Have we really stopped evolving?
I mean it took apes millions of year to transform into humans but why was that. Was it because some apes got really smart and decided 'Hmm today I'm going to walk like this' Which then started a whole chain of apes walking like that and because they were not supposed to walk upright it very slowly over the years began to reshape their bones and then they'd put their genes of reshaped bones and other new habits into baby monkeys which then followed on very slowly creating smarter and smarter apes.

Then they finally somehow cracked it and turned into humans after millions of years. Now my point is, today some people in society are gradually getting lazier and lazier or just becoming worse parents that they teach their children to act differently like to not care about where you go in life and talk in a different way like townie talk. And then that baby learns swear words off their mum and thinks thats right. So then they teach that to their children creating lots and lots of townie talking children.

But suppose its not just talking like a townie its something like walking a new way and then they all teach that to thousands of people because its so darn popular that it reshapes our bones and after thousands of years we have people walking around bent really far forwards or something.

I know these are just examples but we wont just stay like we are now for the next million years (if the Earth is still around that long).

Do you' think we'll ever evolve again?
Tue 24/09/02 at 12:41
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
>
> Short, bald, balloon-headed people, with long fingers and skinny
> waists.

Lol, classic, I really hope not.
Tue 24/09/02 at 12:37
Regular
There is no evidence what-so-ever that we evolved from apes. Just as there's no evidence that God created us. So any talk of ape talk from a layman is pointless. But on the subject of evolution and where we are heading right now, we can only leave that up to scientist to guess (or make asumptions like they did, with their ape theory).

I personally think that we will devolve into lazy freaks of nature which even mother-nature will have trouble recognising our origins.

And who cares anyway, as an asteroid is going to hit us in, er, 15 years? And if that doesn't kill us, creedy business men of the world will choke the planet to death with pollution.
Tue 24/09/02 at 12:05
"Darkness, always"
OK, firstly, let's stay away from any religious involvement here, and strictly answer the question in hand using the assumption that evolution is the mechanism of creation.

Firstly, we are still evolving. Evidence of this is in appendix, a useless organ in our bodies that our ancestors may have used to digest grass. Since we haven't eaten grass for hundreds of generations, the appendix is now small, redundant and wholly expendable.

Your wisdom teeth are another example. extra teeth probably intended to chew tough material, which may or may not even be food. Since man learned to play with fire and other tools, chewing tough food and other things hasn't been necessary. Hence these teeth are now of little importance to us.

Hair. It's immediately noticable that humans have less hair than our ape cousins. The obvious reason for this is clothing. We started to wear the skins of other animals to keep us from freezing in harsh winters. Soon enough, we started wearing clothes all year round for decorative, ritual or even just modesty reasons. With clothes, we have little need for body hair, which was how we kept warm beforehand. And as time goes by, we'll likely have less and less of it.

So, with even only these few examples in mind, we can take a look at what mankind may look like in a few hundred generations more. slimmer around the waist, due to the complete disappearance of the appendix. Slimmer around the jawline, due to the disappearance of widom teeth. And completely hairless, due to the life of comfort we build for ourselves.

This would leave us sort of resembling roswell aliens, but our bodeis would be far more efficient tools for our lifestyle.

Now, onto your point about "townies" becoming the future of mankind...

Sure, some parents are lax, and their children speak all manner of profanities. But it is a point worth noting that people raised badly are not likely to become the most succesful people in the world. Evolution is key in those of the species able to succeed. Besides which, languages will come and go, and in time, there may be no such thing as profanity, indeed there may be no such thing as the english language. Why would there be? Life has seen a thousand or more languages come and go in the space of only maybe ten to twenty thousand years or so. Language evolves much faster than we do, and so a few people being taught bad english are hardly likely to bend the race down a new evolutionary path.

What I see as a future for the human form is like this:

As we become more and more intelligent, we may require larger brains, and larger skulls to accomodate them, combined with the reduced jawline described above, this will result in a more conical shaped head, again, a la roswell aliens. The silvery skin of Roswell aliens we will avoid however, unless we screw up the skies to the point where we have to live underground for a few millennia. Our fingers and hands are quite likely to become more dextrous, more capable, possibly resulting in slightly longer fingers and thumbs which can twist slightly more than they can now.

We will likely become shorter, as our height isn't really a necessity, and a smaller body will increase the flow of blood to our enhanced brains. So, in a million years or so, that's where I see us.

Short, bald, balloon-headed people, with long fingers and skinny waists.

Can't wait to see the centrefolds of that era.
Mon 23/09/02 at 23:27
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
Have we really stopped evolving?
I mean it took apes millions of year to transform into humans but why was that. Was it because some apes got really smart and decided 'Hmm today I'm going to walk like this' Which then started a whole chain of apes walking like that and because they were not supposed to walk upright it very slowly over the years began to reshape their bones and then they'd put their genes of reshaped bones and other new habits into baby monkeys which then followed on very slowly creating smarter and smarter apes.

Then they finally somehow cracked it and turned into humans after millions of years. Now my point is, today some people in society are gradually getting lazier and lazier or just becoming worse parents that they teach their children to act differently like to not care about where you go in life and talk in a different way like townie talk. And then that baby learns swear words off their mum and thinks thats right. So then they teach that to their children creating lots and lots of townie talking children.

But suppose its not just talking like a townie its something like walking a new way and then they all teach that to thousands of people because its so darn popular that it reshapes our bones and after thousands of years we have people walking around bent really far forwards or something.

I know these are just examples but we wont just stay like we are now for the next million years (if the Earth is still around that long).

Do you' think we'll ever evolve again?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.