GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are RPGs getting easier?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/09/02 at 13:48
Regular
Does anyone else think RPGs are getting too easy nowadays with all the walkthroughs on the internet?
I remeber when i didn't have the internet and i had to play RPGs on my own without any help. Then when i finished the game i had a deep satisfaction that i completed it on my own. But now if i get stuck i just go on a cheat site and look up the game and think "why didn't i think of doing that?"

so i put this question to everyone:
Do you think RPGs are getting easier?
Mon 23/09/02 at 18:33
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
It depends on what you mean as easier. SOme games now a days are just better explained. The challenges and puzzles themselves can be very hard but in a game like Pikmin they put in like three pages of explanation and sly little "Hints" that tell you exactly what to do! They should have just played pikmin for you it would have been harder :D
Mon 23/09/02 at 18:31
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
I don't think they're necessarily getting easier - we're getting less tolerant of being stuck (hence the swiftness of d'loading walkthroughs), the industry has cottoned onto this trend (hence the wide availability of 'strategy guides'). RPGs have always been pretty straightforward - battle baddies, level up, save the world. In the good old days of Phantasy Star on MegaDrive, that was all you did. The only getting stuck to be done would be getting lost in one of the massive dungeons, or not realising which bit of the map to visit next.

I think that more modern RPGs tend to lead the player by the hand a little more, but as far as I'm concerned, that's normally a good thing, as it's massively frustrating to get stuck for the reason that the game doesn't make it clear what you need to do next. Or maybe that's just me.
Mon 23/09/02 at 18:24
"The Will of D."
honey babe wrote:
> Devious Dragon wrote:
> honey babe wrote:
> Is the lost age out yet? if it isnt does anyone know when its is?
> Do you like GS?
> the answer to that is yes

Have you completed it? What level are you at?
Mon 23/09/02 at 10:48
Regular
Are RPG's getting any easier? NO
Are they boring? YES
Does anyone care? NO
Sun 22/09/02 at 19:43
Regular
"i am fubby"
i thought ff7 was 1 of the hardest games to find out where to go and what too do

then i played on ff10 and its all too simple and straight forward
Sun 22/09/02 at 17:49
Regular
"anime freak"
Devious Dragon wrote:
> honey babe wrote:
> Do you like GS?
the answer to that is yes
Sat 21/09/02 at 19:51
Regular
I wouldnt say RPG's are getting easier, as thats not entirly true, could it just be that your games playing skills are getting better?
Sat 21/09/02 at 17:23
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
RPG's are so borring,thats why I havn't owned one in all my life and never will
Sat 21/09/02 at 17:16
"The Will of D."
honey babe wrote:
Do you like GS? The sequel is already out in Japan so I have only been looking at pictures and info that have been translated from the Jap game, the USA will be getting it sometime after christmas I think (then I can import it and play on it before Europe, heh heh) But maybe spring for Europe.
Sat 21/09/02 at 15:48
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Depends, are we talking RPG's or adventure games here? There's a very fine, rather blurred line between the two. I would say that generally speaking, they are getting easier. I'm not sure whether this has more to do with any inherent difficulty though, or rather the fact that every puzzle and trick I've seen before.

For example....
The first Zelda game I played was Link's Awakening on the Gameboy. All the puzzle swere new to me back then, and I got stuck several times. Eventually though, I did manage to finish it. I rate it as one of the bestgames I've ever played. When I got Ocarina Of Time, I had far less difficulty completing it, getting stuck maybe a couple of times. After that I played the SNES version, and sailed through it with no trouble. All the same items, the same bosses, the same puzzles.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.