GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"OFFICIAL: Nintendo press release on Rareware"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/09/02 at 22:20
Regular
Taken from IGN.com:

Earlier this morning Nintendo issued a press release stating that it had cut all development ties with Rare. The firm said it had sold its 49-percent share in the former second-party. Nintendo further explained that the decision reflected a restructuring move and a new partnership philosophy.

"Nintendo had the ability to continue its exclusive relationship with Rare, but in looking at the company's recent track record, it became clear that its value to the future of Nintendo would be limited," said Peter MacDougall, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America. "In other words, we passed on this opportunity for very good business reasons."

The Nintendo release went on to reiterate the fact that Rare software sales accounted for only 9.5-percent of Nintendo sales in fiscal year 2001 and only 1.5-percent in fiscal 2002.

Nintendo stated that it would retain the rights for all original properties including Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Star Fox. It made no comment on whether or not Rare would retain the Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day licenses.

The company said that game development is ever changing and that the selling of Rare will afford Nintendo more opportunities with other studios. "The disposition of this investment leaves us in a position to become even more aggressive in expanding our development capacity, both internally and externally," MacDougall noted. "Aside from several partnerships already announced over the past year, we are currently in similar talks with several other prospective partners around the world."

Finally, the release noted that though Nintendo's relationship with Rare has come to an end, Nintendo still respects the giant software house. "Although we declined the opportunity to continue our exclusive agreement with Rare, this announcement does not diminish our respect for their work or the past contributions they have made to Nintendo," stated MacDougall.
Mon 23/09/02 at 11:21
"Darkness, always"
Dark Mark wrote:
> So you didn't bother buying Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64 or Conker's
> Bad Fur Day then....?

Donkey Kong 64 wasn't very good in my opinion. Just my opinion there.
Mon 23/09/02 at 11:28
Regular
"Remember me?"
Mr Ripper wrote:
> Rare clearly wanted to stay exclusive to Nintendo, but were turned
> away. Obviously Nintendo have been keeping an eye on their
> developments, and are possibly not best pleased with Rare's steady
> decline in quality?

It wasn't their quality that declined... it was the quantity. Rare's games were as good as ever, but they weren't releasing enough of them to make Nintendo enough profit.

> Donkey Kong 64 wasn't very good in my opinion. Just my opinion there.

Good... your opinion... *plots Mr Ripper's slow and painful death by means of sharp objects*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.