GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"OFFICIAL: Nintendo press release on Rareware"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/09/02 at 22:20
Regular
Taken from IGN.com:

Earlier this morning Nintendo issued a press release stating that it had cut all development ties with Rare. The firm said it had sold its 49-percent share in the former second-party. Nintendo further explained that the decision reflected a restructuring move and a new partnership philosophy.

"Nintendo had the ability to continue its exclusive relationship with Rare, but in looking at the company's recent track record, it became clear that its value to the future of Nintendo would be limited," said Peter MacDougall, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America. "In other words, we passed on this opportunity for very good business reasons."

The Nintendo release went on to reiterate the fact that Rare software sales accounted for only 9.5-percent of Nintendo sales in fiscal year 2001 and only 1.5-percent in fiscal 2002.

Nintendo stated that it would retain the rights for all original properties including Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Star Fox. It made no comment on whether or not Rare would retain the Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day licenses.

The company said that game development is ever changing and that the selling of Rare will afford Nintendo more opportunities with other studios. "The disposition of this investment leaves us in a position to become even more aggressive in expanding our development capacity, both internally and externally," MacDougall noted. "Aside from several partnerships already announced over the past year, we are currently in similar talks with several other prospective partners around the world."

Finally, the release noted that though Nintendo's relationship with Rare has come to an end, Nintendo still respects the giant software house. "Although we declined the opportunity to continue our exclusive agreement with Rare, this announcement does not diminish our respect for their work or the past contributions they have made to Nintendo," stated MacDougall.
Mon 23/09/02 at 11:28
Regular
"Remember me?"
Mr Ripper wrote:
> Rare clearly wanted to stay exclusive to Nintendo, but were turned
> away. Obviously Nintendo have been keeping an eye on their
> developments, and are possibly not best pleased with Rare's steady
> decline in quality?

It wasn't their quality that declined... it was the quantity. Rare's games were as good as ever, but they weren't releasing enough of them to make Nintendo enough profit.

> Donkey Kong 64 wasn't very good in my opinion. Just my opinion there.

Good... your opinion... *plots Mr Ripper's slow and painful death by means of sharp objects*
Mon 23/09/02 at 11:21
"Darkness, always"
Dark Mark wrote:
> So you didn't bother buying Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64 or Conker's
> Bad Fur Day then....?

Donkey Kong 64 wasn't very good in my opinion. Just my opinion there.
Mon 23/09/02 at 11:20
"Darkness, always"
Take note from that press release:
"Although we declined the opportunity to continue our exclusive agreement with Rare..."

Rare clearly wanted to stay exclusive to Nintendo, but were turned away. Obviously Nintendo have been keeping an eye on their developments, and are possibly not best pleased with Rare's steady decline in quality?
Mon 23/09/02 at 10:59
Regular
"Remember me?"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Exactly. The last Rare game I bought was Goldeneye, that says it all
> really doesn't it.

So you didn't bother buying Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64 or Conker's Bad Fur Day then....?

Are you mad, woman?!
Mon 23/09/02 at 10:55
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Nintendo litterally kicked 'em out, Rare offered Nintendo the
> remainding shares as well.

No. Nintendo didn't want to spend a fortune buying out a company that didn't make them huge profits, so Rare moved on elsewhere.
Nintendo didn't NEED Rare anymore, because third parties were filling the GC with plenty of releases.

And because Rare's games are great, but few, Rare don't pour in as much cash as Nintendo would like, so when Nintendo get offered a ridiculous amount of money from MS...

Anyway, MS gain a lot more than Nintendo lose.
Besides, with the Xbox dropping it's price so much, by the time Rare release something, the Xbox will be so cheap, we can all get one for the Rare games. Nothing to worry about! :-)
Sun 22/09/02 at 00:25
Regular
Cooky wrote:
> Cos they rather have the MILLIONS of pounds/dollars/yen, which they
> can pump into other developers and make LOADS of games, rather than
> wait for Rare to release one, every year or two!
>
> :)

Exactly. The last Rare game I bought was Goldeneye, that says it all really doesn't it.
Sun 22/09/02 at 00:22
Regular
Nintendo litterally kicked 'em out, Rare offered Nintendo the remainding shares as well.
Sat 21/09/02 at 23:22
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Cos they rather have the MILLIONS of pounds/dollars/yen, which they can pump into other developers and make LOADS of games, rather than wait for Rare to release one, every year or two!

:)
Sat 21/09/02 at 23:19
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
What i dont understand is why nintendo sold their 49% share, they could have used it to become a real thorn in Microsofts side.
Sat 21/09/02 at 22:50
Regular
"Conker the King"
Look, lets take stock of this situation!
Just think back a few years will you. Before you all get over dramatic and slate RARE lets have a trip down memory lane.

BLAST CORPS - absolutely unique game never got the credit it deserved!

GOLDENEYE - CLASSIC! And it really is. Still played to death in my house!

BANJO KAZOOIE - Blew the Playstation blubbers out of there cots that one!
(and I also heard that SONY cacked themselves when it was
released in 1998)

JET FORCE GEMINI - The ONLY dodgy (in my opinion) RARE game but still
great!

PERFECT DARK - PERFECT GAME. I love it soooo much. It out shines some
of the dodgy first person shooters on so
called 'next gen' consoles. (Mind you, im
still stuck on the Skedar Ruins level)!!

BANJO TOOIE - GREAT mulitiplayer games and wonderful 64 bit graphics!

CONKERS BFD - What can I say. This game has to be the funniest and most
gorgeous looking 64 bit game ever made. From the moment I
turned it on I was in awe of whoever came up with such a
superb masterpiece and still am. Had we had more examples
of the above on the N64 it would still be around now!

But just how much can one company produce. People moan about how long RARE took in making there games but the wait was worth it EVERY time.

It is a travesty that RARE could be leaving the Nintendo fold. As I have said before, without RARE the 'CUBE' will be just another console with over hyped ports from other machines. We need RARE so that the best, most unique games stay with the CUBE. Bill Gates is doing anything to make the XBox sell. If thats the way of of it then fine, but Nintendo will be worse off without them!

N64 4 EVA.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.