GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Recent episodes of the Simpsons"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/09/02 at 21:38
Regular
Every time I watch the new episodes of the Simpsons I get more and more wound up. Is it just me or are the new episodes very, very poor?

It seems that every member of the Simpson family has changed completely since the show started. And I really don't think they have changed in a good way.

Take Homer for example. In the first few series (two and three especially), he was a loveable character due to his child-like way of thinking. This seems to have completely changed now. Where we used to laugh at the things he said, the creators now feel that Homer has to be visually funny all the time which I don't think is the same. For example, in the episode when Marge tries to ban Bart and Lisa from watching Itchy and Scratchy, the laughs provided by Homer were from what he said i.e. (Homer on the phone) "You heard me. I won't be in work today cos my baby beat me up!" Compare to a (reasonably) recent episode where Homer goes to live on a farm. The writers obviously thought it would be hilarious to show Homer getting trapped under a tractor every time he went near it. That's not funny.....

And whatever happened to Marge's disapproving moan? In earlier series she would do that moan whenever she was worried about what Homer was doing/saying. Now all she does is go along with what he wants. Also, she never calls him "Homer" anymore, it's always a really annoying "Homie".

Lisa now acts like a thirty year old woman where before she was simply a brighter than average little girl.

As for Bart, he was lost long ago.

One of the most worrying things I've noticed recently is all the bodily function jokes creeping. Fart and burp jokes are cheap laughs for kids. The Simpsons was never simply for kids, sure it was a cartoon but the subtle humour made it enjoyable for adults too. Kids'll enjoy any cartoon. An example of this poor humour was when Bart was in the bubble. He invites Lisa into the bubbles and she complains about the smell. "Wasn't me!" replies Bart. About as funny as the new adverts about little kids wiping there *ahems*.

Is it not too much to ask for a little thought to go into each episode?
Tue 24/09/02 at 10:03
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Pah - How can you moan about the Simpsons !

It's one of the few things on telly thats worth watching regulalry.

The reason that the older episodes seem better is purely for that reason - youv'e seen them over and over and recognise the little subtle bits - the new ones you see once and dont see all that's there straight away - watch them again and again and they will join the older episodes as your fave classics.

Simpson's rule - get over it !?!?

Meh !
Mon 23/09/02 at 23:50
"High polygon count"
phi11ip wrote:
> That was on ages ago!

Indeed it was.

Thing was, I didn't recognise that part - must have somehow missed the beginning of it. Plus, Sky lied - they were saying "all new" Simpsons, but it wasn't.

The combination of the two had me thinking it was a new episode.
Mon 23/09/02 at 23:45
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
I agree with Lord H here though. Old episodes are classics whereas the new episodes have lost their touch. Some new episodes have been alright but i much prefer switching onto BBC2 for the re-runs. Plus i find myself now watching Family Guy. What a great show.
Sun 22/09/02 at 22:47
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I'm looking forward to this week's episode.
>
> Homer is sitting in front of a conveyer belt of food in a lab.
>
> Scientist: "This new appetite suppression really seems to work!
> Homer, don't you want to eat any of that food?"
>
> Homer: "Food? Agh! I'm blind!"
>
> Looks very funny!

That was on ages ago!

Anybody see the one the other week where Homer was singing to 'Tubthumping' by 'Chumbawunba' in the house?

He drinks the wisky drink...
He drinks the Lager drink...

Very good!

And Homie the Clown is the best episode!
Sun 22/09/02 at 11:40
Regular
mikelar wrote:
> The best, and ironically worst, example of how bad The Simpsons is, is
> the Mr. X episode ...

Thats the best episode ever, the first half is better though
Sun 22/09/02 at 11:07
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Lord H wrote:
> SHEEPY wrote:
> And you mention characters changing... well people change
>
> Fine. Good point.
>
> Only the Simpsons never grow up. Bart is still the same age, as are
> the rest of them.

Hmm I believe that Bart was once 9, Lisa 8 and Maggie 0. Remember the Lisa's birthday episode, with Michael Jackson? And Lisa was worrying about turning 8?
Sun 22/09/02 at 11:05
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
The new episodes are not as good as the older ones. But they don't all suck...

The Tomaco (farming one) and the prank monkey one were pretty damn good, some others were alright too, but I forget which ones...

I just can't wait until we get the real good series (3-10) on DVD.
Sat 21/09/02 at 23:15
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
The Simpsons rule, but I haven't been getting to watch these new episodes on Sky 1 recently. I saw the one where Bart was followed by that large white dog which led into the story about the famous cowboy actor, but besides that I haven't really seen many new Simpsons at all.
Sat 21/09/02 at 19:57
Regular
"Selected"
New episodes of The Simpsons are definitely poor in comparison to older episodes.

The best, and ironically worst, example of how bad The Simpsons is, is the Mr. X episode were Homer posts rumours about the people of Springfield on the internet. The end 10 minutes is absolutly dreadful, you'll notice it all turn sour when homer appears on 'the island' and it gets...'crazy'. The haloween episode were the Dolphins take over Springfield is also below par.

I still have faith though, I think it will pick up again...
Fri 20/09/02 at 23:44
Regular
".......on the attac"
SHEEPY wrote:
> And you mention characters changing... well people change

Fine. Good point.

Only the Simpsons never grow up. Bart is still the same age, as are the rest of them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.