GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I think my PS2 isn't as well as it should be....."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/09/02 at 00:38
Regular
Completing Metal Gear Solid 2 for the...well...more times that i can remember, trying to get all the dog tags (Sad, i know) and i've noticed that the sound doesn't play in certain film sequences and it's quite worrying. The Intro where Snake is walking along the bridge, when Raiden is being told about what happened two years ago while panning along the bridge and the Big Shell, the near end sequence where Raiden and Rose are talking a load a poo and the poo final song are all deprived of sound. I can't really remember doing anything to cause this loss in sound either. It just happened!
My PS2 is situated on a wooden shelf and when i play Tekken Tag i have to take the lamp off the shelf because the console vibrates that much that the lamp shakes and causes a buzzing sound which is quite annoying. It's sounds like a rusty chainsaw when i lay it horizontal. Also Tekken Tag sometimes doesn't load and i'm left with a black screen, it also takes a long time to load up fights as well.
Sometime accompanied with a lot of "sound" from the console when playing games i'm thinking that it might not last that long :(

Darkreaper
Mon 23/09/02 at 04:50
Cheers Tóm. I've done what you've said and the sound is back now. Thanks a lot for the advice.
And yes, i'm very aware of what time it is, it's what you get for being a caffine/alchol Junkie on his way back to Uni!

Darkreaper
Sun 22/09/02 at 22:11
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Ray Liotta... wrote:
> >"We just got a sudden delivery".
>
> man i've fallen into that trap so many times.

It wasn't really as dodgy as it sounds - it was Toys 'R' Us not out of a car boot or anything. And it works fine and stuff. I'm not bothered really. I can't send off that card that lets them send you demoes and stuff though, that was a bit annoying. I might send it anyway and see what comes back. Not that I can understand what the form says. It'll end up like "Name: 26/9/85 Address: Joe Bloggs" or something.
Sat 21/09/02 at 14:17
Regular
"accidental superher"
i always have my ps2 vertical and i haven't had a single problem...had mine for about a year now
Sat 21/09/02 at 13:14
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
I have a few problems with my PS2. When i put a disc in it doesn't read it. Apparently this is because mine is vertical. Maybe you should try putting it Horizontal?
Thu 19/09/02 at 22:14
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Like I said, for MGS2 have you tried going into the game options and making sure the Dolby Digital is turned off. It also wouldn't hurt to go into the PS2 options and make sure the optical output is turned off (providing you don't have a DD set of course).

I say that because it warns you on the game that if you select DD but don't have a system hooked up, there'll be silence.
Thu 19/09/02 at 21:39
Thanks for the advice but i got my PS2 when they first came out so it's well over a year old. I'll have a closer look at the fan and see if it is clogged full of dusty crap and i'll check the sound settings as well.
The thing is it doesn't heppen with any of my other games (i have about 11 games) and there are not scraths, marks or fingerprints on the CDs.
All run perfectly fine apart from the two i've mentioned.
Cheers anyway guys

Darkreaper
Thu 19/09/02 at 20:00
Regular
"i am fubby"
you could have been keeping your discs in a lousy condition
Thu 19/09/02 at 19:58
Regular
Blank wrote:
>"We just got a sudden delivery".

man i've fallen into that trap so many times.
Thu 19/09/02 at 19:56
Regular
It could be sawdust, or bits of dust that landed on da shelf. i found that this happened with my old sega mega drive or 'genisis' i think it was called.
Thu 19/09/02 at 19:52
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Look on the bright side - my PS2 is French. Complete with French plug, French leaflets, adverts for the French PS2 mag, the lot. You couldn't tell from the outside though, because everything is in every language. I'm not really that bothered though - I got it at launch when there were very few left.

I should have been suspicious when they said "We just got a sudden delivery". It was lucky I had a French plug converter lying around really. At the time I was only bothered about the PS2, not the fact that it was nicked from some Frenchman >_<

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.