GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Super Smash Bros - losing it's touch"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/09/02 at 21:04
Regular
For me, it is.

It's weird, I played it and loved it, but now I'm either frustrated or bored and I just sit there bashing the buttons. Not a good thing.

Has anyone else got the feeling that SSBM is nor fun nor skilful?
I have.
Thu 19/09/02 at 19:38
Regular
"  "
Strafex wrote:
> Na†ßu© wrote:
> Ah yes there probably is Edgy. But mean old G*** only have a demo :(
>
> LOL! I thought that G*** was a swear word for a moment! :-D
>
> Seriously though, seeing as you and your mates enjoy it, surely it
> wouldn't hurt for ONE of you to get the game, then you'd not only have
> the options, you'd be able to play with 4 players too.
>
> You also wouldn't be playing on a messed up screen, either... (I've
> played on the one at my local Game shop too)! :-D

Well, one of my mates has it and 4 controllers but he lives 20 odd miles away. I would get one but I cant afford it aswell as my PS2. :(

Anyway, the reason I hashed the 'unmentionable' shop out was because last time I posted the name of that shop one of SR's mods changed the sentance from "I was playing super smash bros in g***" to "I was playing super smash bros in a far inferior and totally unrecommendable games shop. :D
Thu 19/09/02 at 19:44
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Na†ßu© wrote:
> Anyway, the reason I hashed the 'unmentionable' shop out was because
> last time I posted the name of that shop one of SR's mods changed the
> sentance from "I was playing super smash bros in g***" to
> "I was playing super smash bros in a far inferior and totally
> unrecommendable games shop. :D

LOL, i wonder who it was.
Thu 19/09/02 at 19:45
Regular
"Unretired"
I still love the game.
Thu 19/09/02 at 22:26
Regular
"eat me"
it still rules just dodge a lot it becomes a lot more skillful and get some friends if u think its losing its touch and play against them its still quality
Thu 19/09/02 at 22:41
Regular
cookie monster wrote:

>
> I would say a mixture of power Stone and Street fighter 2. Except with
> all the skill and mastery removed.

If you think theres no skill and mastery in Smash Bros then you must just be really crap at it ;)
Thu 19/09/02 at 22:44
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> Gridloch wrote:
> how does this game play? is it like Tekken or like Power Stone?
>
> I would say a mixture of power Stone and Street fighter 2. Except with
> all the skill and mastery removed.

Then again, Cookie didn't really get a good go on the multiplayer, so he missed the best part - the whole point of the entire game infact.

It's a game of it's own (apart from it's N64 predecessor).
It basically combines the usual controls of your 2D platformer with a host of moves and attacks.

The attacks are simple to use and the characters are hard to control, hence it might SEEM that there's little skill or mastery.

But while pulling off moves is easy, there's LOADS of skill and mastery in using them effectively, and using both your instant wits and skills to get the better of your opponent(s) using a whole range of tactics.

Ofcourse, the AI simulants can't offer this sort of excitement the same way a human thinker can, so you'd need pads and players to get the best out of this game.

The single player will get boring within a week, but that was only ever meant to be a spin-off extra for the main game.
The multiplayer will have you coming back for years to come.

What's more, it's unique, the only game of it's style.

It's not quite for everyone (opinions differ), but most love it.
Try it at your local (Natbuc, I'll save SR the trouble this time! :-D) "far inferior and totally unrecommendable games shop!"!!!

ROFL!!! :-D
Thu 19/09/02 at 22:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
If you master the rolling, shields, dodges and quick counter attacks, it can be a highly skillful game.

:)
Fri 20/09/02 at 10:45
Regular
I hate Super Smash Bros now.
Fri 20/09/02 at 13:47
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I feel the same way.
Well, I did, untill I took a long break from it.
Now i'm back playing it, and I like it again. :)

When you first get it, it's instantly the best game ever.
But after a while, once you've completed most modes and you cannot really be bothered to get those other 100+ Trophies, you do get fed-up.
That's what I found, and that's when I decided to leave it alone for a while and get something new - like Burnout and THPS3.

I've gone back to it now to try and complete those Harder modes and to get nearer to the 300-or-so Trophies. And now for some reason, I love this game again!

I still don't ever see myself completing it 100% though! :S
Sat 21/09/02 at 01:07
Regular
Everyone should really give the single player mode another go. You'll find it's not just a multiplayer based game and is very fun on your own too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.