GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Downloading stuff"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/09/02 at 19:25
Regular
i have just got freeserve broadband and want to download a movie, i used kazaa to download three king but its been downloading for hours now and still only on aboit 10%. i looked at the speed it was downloading on and i was only on about 12kb. i knwo that broadband is 560kb so why isn't it downloading at that speed
Fri 27/09/02 at 21:14
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Tóm wrote:
> The better resolution on the monitor isn't necessarily a good thing.
> If it's sharper, this means you can often notice the blocks from any
> compression whereas on a TV.

Thats not because your resolution is 'sharper' it's because the video file is usually compressed to about 320x200 or something, and if you make it full screen on any resolution you'll see it's being stretched.
Fri 27/09/02 at 19:47
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
First of all it is 560 KILOBITS/s
Your download is being shown in KILOBYTES/s
1Kbyte is 8KBits

its why 56k modems only download at about 5kb/s

even so - you should still be downloading at around 50kb/s but i thought this would still help you out if you were expecting 560kb/s downloads
Thu 19/09/02 at 21:32
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> I have them playing through my second monitor at this moment while
> typing this on line ( i love my Matrox G550 dually).
>
> Anyway....
>
> c.b.

Yes, I play them on GeForce 3 - the card with the nicest monitor on - and watch IRC on the right monitor, running off the Voodoo 5. I can play DivXs with less than 1% CPU , it rules.
Thu 19/09/02 at 20:46
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
The better resolution on the monitor isn't necessarily a good thing. If it's sharper, this means you can often notice the blocks from any compression whereas on a TV, these blocks are blurred making them less noticable.
Thu 19/09/02 at 19:29
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Mr Ripper wrote:
> You don't need an outstanding PC. A 17" monitor outplays almost
> any TV under £1000 for picture quality, and as for sound, you
> can kit your PC out with 5.1 for much less than it'll cost you to get
> a TV with the same spec. And you may have a minging chair, but if you
> were a smart man, you'd know that a minging chair isn't good for
> comfort, especially when you're likely to spend several hours a week
> sat on it.

---
meh, pretty sure anyone would rather watch a film on a bigger screen, doesn't matter how much it costs.

I know you can get 5.1 speakers for PCs what I meant was, (my TV setup, 24" tv with 5.1 speakers) (my PC setup, 14" monitor with stereo speakers) so from my point of view, unless i'm desperate to watch a film that isn't out on VHS or DVD then i'll watch it on my PC, much rather go see it at the cinema though, I guess i'm just bored with sitting here.

I use this chair because it makes me do more work, if I sit in a comfy chair I get to relaxed and would rather play games whereas this one keeps me awake..etc, it's good enough to spend as much time as I do here so i'm not fussed, i'm in a smallish room too and my nice chair won't fit in here as people need to get passed me :p
Thu 19/09/02 at 18:26
Regular
I constantly turn my Dvd's into Divx format on my pc and the quality is pretty good as the resolution is higher, i think tv's highest resolution is something like 600x480 (not sure about the digital one's) and monitors can go pretty high also they have higher refresh rates than tv's so it is better there, if you are also going to convery dvd (mpeg 4) format into Divx it is extremely cpu hungry on my old xp1800+ system with 1gb ddr ram it took about 8 hours to convert a 2 hour film but now my 2.6ghzP4 actually does it quicker than the film playback (something to do with SSE2 on the P4's) but it is worth it as you can get them down to about 700MB and store it on your pc for watching later and the quality is fine.
I have them playing through my second monitor at this moment while typing this on line ( i love my Matrox G550 dually).

Anyway....

c.b.
Thu 19/09/02 at 16:45
"Darkness, always"
Fog wrote:
> .avis are usually terrible quality and because it's on a PC the movie
> sometimes loose sync with the audio,

depends firstly on the file quality, and then on your PCs ability to keep up with it.

> TVs don't do that,

It's not up to the TV, it's up to the equipment playing the DVD/VHS.

> and i'malmost
> certain that DVDs are better quality on a TV than on a monitor because
> of the resolutions..etc,

Very wrong. Most TVs use a very low resolution in comparison to monitors, so the monitors benefit much more from the DVDs enhanced image.

> unless you have a pretty outstanding spec PC
> with 5.1 surround sound and a 21" monitor it doesn't come close
> to beating my TV and i've got a nice comfy sofa next to the tele
> whereas i've got a minging chair here. :p

You don't need an outstanding PC. A 17" monitor outplays almost any TV under £1000 for picture quality, and as for sound, you can kit your PC out with 5.1 for much less than it'll cost you to get a TV with the same spec. And you may have a minging chair, but if you were a smart man, you'd know that a minging chair isn't good for comfort, especially when you're likely to spend several hours a week sat on it.

Besides, a TV out card for your PC enables you to play DivX rips straight into your TV, with absolutely no discernable difference between a proper DVD and the rip you're playing. This of course also gives you the advantage of taping the DivX rip on your VHS player or DVD recorder, for full retail value.

However, that's piracy, that's illegal, and I of course would never do any such thing.

Thu 19/09/02 at 16:38
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
.avis are usually terrible quality and because it's on a PC the movie sometimes loose sync with the audio, TVs don't do that, and i'malmost certain that DVDs are better quality on a TV than on a monitor because of the resolutions..etc, unless you have a pretty outstanding spec PC with 5.1 surround sound and a 21" monitor it doesn't come close to beating my TV and i've got a nice comfy sofa next to the tele whereas i've got a minging chair here. :p
Thu 19/09/02 at 16:28
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
To be honest, I can never tell the difference between monitor and TV pictures when it comes to this sort of thing :o) all look the same to me.

Guess the version I saw was just a crappy made .mpg file.
Thu 19/09/02 at 15:28
"Darkness, always"
cjh wrote:
> I've seen a downloaded clip of Spiderman, and its nothing compaired to
> having it on DVD, or even VHS.

A decent DivX rip IS DVD quality... and it'll look much better on your monitor than it ever will on your TV.

Not that I in any way condone the downloading of movies, which is for the ost part illegal...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.