GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Man U fans - opinions?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/09/02 at 00:29
Regular
This is from the website of that bastion of remarkably accurate sports stories, The Sun.

Do you agree or disagree?

-----

JUST five games into the Premiership and Patrick Vieira, poor boy, is already shattered.

Up at Anfield a defence that conceded only 30 goals last season has similar problems lasting a full 90 minutes.

But this is as nothing compared to the goings-on at Old Trafford.

For Manchester United look knackered in every department. And there are precious few straws left for United fans to clutch at.

One could be that they started their Treble season in exactly the same way they have commenced this - two wins, two draws and a defeat - ignoring that other little blip in Hungary. Except there is no comparison between either the two squads or the spirit within.

The other is that something approaching normal service will be resumed once Roy Keane and Paul Scholes are restored to full fitness. On the surface, a fair enough point.

Except, on closer investigation, this argument would seem to have as many holes as a bar of Aero.

Of the nine games United lost last season, Keane and Scholes each played in six - starting five together.

Another absentee, Gary Neville, also appeared in the same number.

Needless to say, Juan Veron's name was on the teamsheet in eight.

No, the problems besetting Alex Ferguson's side are all-enveloping and are about intangibles such as courage, commitment, self-belief, pride, trust, durability and perseverance.

In Veron, they have a £28million player who can't tackle, can't score and can't even get in the box.

And with the new transfer window system they can't even offload him.

Even if they could, in the current economic climate they would be lucky to get even half their money back.

Former skipper Bryan Robson says the clock is ticking on Veron's Old Trafford career. Personally, I think it blew up a long time ago.

Then there is Laurent Blanc. Remarkably, he was given an extension to his contract. Even more remarkably, he is still preferred to John O'Shea.

The Frenchman continues to make mistakes - giving the ball away and rarely winning it back - and is hardly the tightest marker around.

This adds to the weight on Rio Ferdinand's shoulders.

At a time when he should be allowed to concentrate on his own game to justify the vast and desperate £29.1m stumped up by his manager, he has to babysit the World Cup-winner.

Just the sort of added responsibility he needs on the eve of his return to Elland Road - where his former fans will not be taking into account the great business it was to sell him.

Everywhere you look, the house Fergie built is starting to sway and shake.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy is reduced to playing with his back to goal and indulging in theatrical penalty-box dives accompanied by whinges to match officials that confirm he has truly become a United player.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, one of the great goal-scorers in Europe, seems to be marooned on the flanks while there is no striker worthy of the name on the bench.

Well, there is Diego Forlan but the United scouts must have surely confused him with someone else.

David Beckham is the latest to make a howler, the sort of individual gaffe against Bolton that will be punished when a team is struggling.

Ryan Giggs has scored ONE league goal at home since August 30, 1999.

In Keane's absence, United have no leader. And there is a staleness and lack of confidence about the side that only the manager can rectify.

Beckham says it is a case of playing through it, though many believe the problem to be more deep-rooted.

The core of the team - Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Nicky Butt and the Neville brothers - have been together now for a decade since winning the FA Youth Cup.

As Keane points out, they are all millionaires and need never work again. When you enter that sort of comfort zone, you don't jump out of bed so quickly in the morning - alarm clock or not.

Personally, I thought they would be throwing the duvet off with renewed enthusiasm this season - but I admit that even I have been known to be wrong at times!

At the same time, you look at a fixture list that, after Leeds tomorrow, reads Spurs (H), Charlton (A), Everton (H), Fulham (A), Aston Villa (H) and Southampton (H).

Surely there must be a shedload of points there. And there would be under normal circumstances.

But too many things seem to be going wrong at the same time - the Keane book that undermined an already fragile team spirit, too many injuries, the introduction of a first-team coach who knows nothing about the Premiership, the failure to buy a back-up striker or two and the retention of players who failed so abjectly last season.

Put all this together and it's hardly surprising the roof is falling in.

The fabulous Liverpool era of the 70s and 80s came to an end because the club brought in players who were neither good enough nor possessed the right attitude.

They thought association with a great club would make THEM great and respected. It also ended because nothing lasts forever. Losing, like winning, becomes a habit.

Ferguson may be the most successful manager in the history of the domestic game, but he is stumbling around in the dark at present.

And, unless he gets things right, that new three-year contract will be viewed as of benefit only to himself.

Brian Clough stayed too long, Bob Paisley got out at just the right time.

Ferguson said in August there was no way United could perform as badly at home as they did last season.

Well, they have played three games at Old Trafford, lost one already and scored just two goals.

That clock - that time-bomb - is not just ticking under Veron.
Fri 13/09/02 at 00:29
"High polygon count"
This is from the website of that bastion of remarkably accurate sports stories, The Sun.

Do you agree or disagree?

-----

JUST five games into the Premiership and Patrick Vieira, poor boy, is already shattered.

Up at Anfield a defence that conceded only 30 goals last season has similar problems lasting a full 90 minutes.

But this is as nothing compared to the goings-on at Old Trafford.

For Manchester United look knackered in every department. And there are precious few straws left for United fans to clutch at.

One could be that they started their Treble season in exactly the same way they have commenced this - two wins, two draws and a defeat - ignoring that other little blip in Hungary. Except there is no comparison between either the two squads or the spirit within.

The other is that something approaching normal service will be resumed once Roy Keane and Paul Scholes are restored to full fitness. On the surface, a fair enough point.

Except, on closer investigation, this argument would seem to have as many holes as a bar of Aero.

Of the nine games United lost last season, Keane and Scholes each played in six - starting five together.

Another absentee, Gary Neville, also appeared in the same number.

Needless to say, Juan Veron's name was on the teamsheet in eight.

No, the problems besetting Alex Ferguson's side are all-enveloping and are about intangibles such as courage, commitment, self-belief, pride, trust, durability and perseverance.

In Veron, they have a £28million player who can't tackle, can't score and can't even get in the box.

And with the new transfer window system they can't even offload him.

Even if they could, in the current economic climate they would be lucky to get even half their money back.

Former skipper Bryan Robson says the clock is ticking on Veron's Old Trafford career. Personally, I think it blew up a long time ago.

Then there is Laurent Blanc. Remarkably, he was given an extension to his contract. Even more remarkably, he is still preferred to John O'Shea.

The Frenchman continues to make mistakes - giving the ball away and rarely winning it back - and is hardly the tightest marker around.

This adds to the weight on Rio Ferdinand's shoulders.

At a time when he should be allowed to concentrate on his own game to justify the vast and desperate £29.1m stumped up by his manager, he has to babysit the World Cup-winner.

Just the sort of added responsibility he needs on the eve of his return to Elland Road - where his former fans will not be taking into account the great business it was to sell him.

Everywhere you look, the house Fergie built is starting to sway and shake.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy is reduced to playing with his back to goal and indulging in theatrical penalty-box dives accompanied by whinges to match officials that confirm he has truly become a United player.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, one of the great goal-scorers in Europe, seems to be marooned on the flanks while there is no striker worthy of the name on the bench.

Well, there is Diego Forlan but the United scouts must have surely confused him with someone else.

David Beckham is the latest to make a howler, the sort of individual gaffe against Bolton that will be punished when a team is struggling.

Ryan Giggs has scored ONE league goal at home since August 30, 1999.

In Keane's absence, United have no leader. And there is a staleness and lack of confidence about the side that only the manager can rectify.

Beckham says it is a case of playing through it, though many believe the problem to be more deep-rooted.

The core of the team - Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Nicky Butt and the Neville brothers - have been together now for a decade since winning the FA Youth Cup.

As Keane points out, they are all millionaires and need never work again. When you enter that sort of comfort zone, you don't jump out of bed so quickly in the morning - alarm clock or not.

Personally, I thought they would be throwing the duvet off with renewed enthusiasm this season - but I admit that even I have been known to be wrong at times!

At the same time, you look at a fixture list that, after Leeds tomorrow, reads Spurs (H), Charlton (A), Everton (H), Fulham (A), Aston Villa (H) and Southampton (H).

Surely there must be a shedload of points there. And there would be under normal circumstances.

But too many things seem to be going wrong at the same time - the Keane book that undermined an already fragile team spirit, too many injuries, the introduction of a first-team coach who knows nothing about the Premiership, the failure to buy a back-up striker or two and the retention of players who failed so abjectly last season.

Put all this together and it's hardly surprising the roof is falling in.

The fabulous Liverpool era of the 70s and 80s came to an end because the club brought in players who were neither good enough nor possessed the right attitude.

They thought association with a great club would make THEM great and respected. It also ended because nothing lasts forever. Losing, like winning, becomes a habit.

Ferguson may be the most successful manager in the history of the domestic game, but he is stumbling around in the dark at present.

And, unless he gets things right, that new three-year contract will be viewed as of benefit only to himself.

Brian Clough stayed too long, Bob Paisley got out at just the right time.

Ferguson said in August there was no way United could perform as badly at home as they did last season.

Well, they have played three games at Old Trafford, lost one already and scored just two goals.

That clock - that time-bomb - is not just ticking under Veron.
Fri 13/09/02 at 00:39
Regular
so true. he may be a prat but roy keane is the only player who has earned his money this season! oh and silvestre.

Sack blanc, sell veron, offload forlan, buy two strikers ie (keane and morientes for 20 mill sounds good) sign cannavaro and hofland for the price of ferdinand.

Better still...........sack ferdinand. He should have gone last season he has run out of ideas and has taken united as far as he can i think!
Fri 13/09/02 at 00:40
Regular
s**t that should have said ferguson!
Fri 13/09/02 at 00:44
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I agree with a lot of the stuff there, other areas like putting giggs upfront/solksjaer on the left wing, Veron on the right wing and then expect to play back into their normal midfield roles with the click of a finger. I don't agree the Veron this, "cant score?, cant pass?" The Sun need to look at the opta more closely, I still have a feeling that he will do well and we will find out against Leeds this saturday. I also dont know why O'Shea doesnt start with Rio, that partnership seems to be the future but the cohesion needs to be built now. With Keano out the team it seems the voice has gone, we need G.Neville back not just cause he's a good player but he's a talker and with Rio who is also a talker and I feel one of them should take captancy. but yes I am worried because a lot of those things listed are the very worries I have about the current situation at Old Trafford
Fri 13/09/02 at 00:54
Regular
Oh lord...

That is pretty damning...

And alot of it I have to agree with.

Blanc is a complete joker.

This would be my first choice 11 if all were fit...

Carrol

Silvestre, Rio, O'shea, G. Neville

Veron Keane Butt Beckham

Giggs Van Nistelrooy

Although I woudnt say its all doom and gloom just yet. It could have all been different if Van Nistelrooy's shot (played in by a superb Veron pass) against the underside of the bar had gone in against Bolton. And you only have to look at Newcastles position in the league ( 2nd from bottom) to know not too start with all this crap sooooo early.

There has been some good signs this season. We completley destroyed Chelsea in the 2nd half with some very slick passing play. Was flippin superb to watch. More of that is hopefully to come...
Fri 13/09/02 at 01:00
Regular
I think the comment about Giggs goals is a little too one sided. He has already two goals away from home this season. I think thats basically becasue he gets more freedom in away games when we play more of a counter-attacking game. At home the oppostion usually just defends solid for 90 mins and Giggs nearly always has at least 2 men on him. He can destroy players in a one on one situation...Perhaps he shoudnt be used at OT on the wing...hmmmmm
Fri 13/09/02 at 08:45
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'm getting a bit fed up with all this *Let's blame it all on Veron* rubbish.
Ferguson sticks him on the right wing which is not his main position and still expects him to be as good there? He's a central midfielder you scottish twit stick him there and put Beckham back on the right where he is at his best. Ignore his high pitched moaning about being in the central midfield and be a man and stand up to him. Veron is all about unlocking defences with pin point passes although with only 1 person up front it is very hard to get all his passes completed. If we had 2 out and out strikers up front then Veron would have a field day.
If you want to blame someone for the morale around Old Trafford try looking at someone who goes around slagging off the fans, the team, getting himself banned for writing a book and getting about 3 or 4 red cards every season. Yes i'm talking about Roy Keane *gasp he's critizing Keano* If it weren't for him morale might actually be a bit better like it was in '99. It hasn't got anything to do with Veron. Least he's not going around elbowing people because they make a little book gesture. Perhaps if Keane shuts his big mouth a bit and stops slagging off his team we might be playing a bit better. Also thanks to him Forlan still hasn't got a competitive goal i mean how much would that have boosted his confidence. They were 3 or 4 up anyway it wouldn't have mattered if he missed but once again Keane wades in and says RVN has to take it. If anyone should be sold it's Keane he's a liability to the team
Fri 13/09/02 at 10:13
"Darkness, always"
in football, some of the statistics quoted at the start of the Sun's message count for nothing.

In fact, the Sun counts for nothing.

Veron is a world class player who, given a little more time, will step up his game to a new level for the premiership.

Giggs rocks.

Keane rocks, but is temperamental

Blanc is a damn good player still, though obviously not playing the best football of his career.

Nothing bad to say about Beckham.

etc etc etc.

I am as always forced to wonder why United are constantly the butt of the medias temper, while when Liverpool were the best team in the country for years on end, the press were running short of superlatives for them.

Ah well. Every team has problems now and then. The game may be beautiful, but the teams can never be perfect.
Fri 13/09/02 at 10:14
"Darkness, always"
in football, some of the statistics quoted at the start of the Sun's message count for nothing.

In fact, the Sun counts for nothing.

Veron is a world class player who, given a little more time, will step up his game to a new level for the premiership.

Giggs rocks.

Keane rocks, but is temperamental

Blanc is a damn good player still, though obviously not playing the best football of his career.

Nothing bad to say about Beckham.

etc etc etc.

I am as always forced to wonder why United are constantly the butt of the medias temper, while when Liverpool were the best team in the country for years on end, the press were running short of superlatives for them.

Ah well. Every team has problems now and then. The game may be beautiful, but the teams can never be perfect.
Fri 13/09/02 at 10:19
"Darkness, always"
vsdfdhhsrfafefrarytthjw

damn double posts

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.