GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Man U fans - opinions?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/09/02 at 00:29
Regular
This is from the website of that bastion of remarkably accurate sports stories, The Sun.

Do you agree or disagree?

-----

JUST five games into the Premiership and Patrick Vieira, poor boy, is already shattered.

Up at Anfield a defence that conceded only 30 goals last season has similar problems lasting a full 90 minutes.

But this is as nothing compared to the goings-on at Old Trafford.

For Manchester United look knackered in every department. And there are precious few straws left for United fans to clutch at.

One could be that they started their Treble season in exactly the same way they have commenced this - two wins, two draws and a defeat - ignoring that other little blip in Hungary. Except there is no comparison between either the two squads or the spirit within.

The other is that something approaching normal service will be resumed once Roy Keane and Paul Scholes are restored to full fitness. On the surface, a fair enough point.

Except, on closer investigation, this argument would seem to have as many holes as a bar of Aero.

Of the nine games United lost last season, Keane and Scholes each played in six - starting five together.

Another absentee, Gary Neville, also appeared in the same number.

Needless to say, Juan Veron's name was on the teamsheet in eight.

No, the problems besetting Alex Ferguson's side are all-enveloping and are about intangibles such as courage, commitment, self-belief, pride, trust, durability and perseverance.

In Veron, they have a £28million player who can't tackle, can't score and can't even get in the box.

And with the new transfer window system they can't even offload him.

Even if they could, in the current economic climate they would be lucky to get even half their money back.

Former skipper Bryan Robson says the clock is ticking on Veron's Old Trafford career. Personally, I think it blew up a long time ago.

Then there is Laurent Blanc. Remarkably, he was given an extension to his contract. Even more remarkably, he is still preferred to John O'Shea.

The Frenchman continues to make mistakes - giving the ball away and rarely winning it back - and is hardly the tightest marker around.

This adds to the weight on Rio Ferdinand's shoulders.

At a time when he should be allowed to concentrate on his own game to justify the vast and desperate £29.1m stumped up by his manager, he has to babysit the World Cup-winner.

Just the sort of added responsibility he needs on the eve of his return to Elland Road - where his former fans will not be taking into account the great business it was to sell him.

Everywhere you look, the house Fergie built is starting to sway and shake.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy is reduced to playing with his back to goal and indulging in theatrical penalty-box dives accompanied by whinges to match officials that confirm he has truly become a United player.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, one of the great goal-scorers in Europe, seems to be marooned on the flanks while there is no striker worthy of the name on the bench.

Well, there is Diego Forlan but the United scouts must have surely confused him with someone else.

David Beckham is the latest to make a howler, the sort of individual gaffe against Bolton that will be punished when a team is struggling.

Ryan Giggs has scored ONE league goal at home since August 30, 1999.

In Keane's absence, United have no leader. And there is a staleness and lack of confidence about the side that only the manager can rectify.

Beckham says it is a case of playing through it, though many believe the problem to be more deep-rooted.

The core of the team - Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Nicky Butt and the Neville brothers - have been together now for a decade since winning the FA Youth Cup.

As Keane points out, they are all millionaires and need never work again. When you enter that sort of comfort zone, you don't jump out of bed so quickly in the morning - alarm clock or not.

Personally, I thought they would be throwing the duvet off with renewed enthusiasm this season - but I admit that even I have been known to be wrong at times!

At the same time, you look at a fixture list that, after Leeds tomorrow, reads Spurs (H), Charlton (A), Everton (H), Fulham (A), Aston Villa (H) and Southampton (H).

Surely there must be a shedload of points there. And there would be under normal circumstances.

But too many things seem to be going wrong at the same time - the Keane book that undermined an already fragile team spirit, too many injuries, the introduction of a first-team coach who knows nothing about the Premiership, the failure to buy a back-up striker or two and the retention of players who failed so abjectly last season.

Put all this together and it's hardly surprising the roof is falling in.

The fabulous Liverpool era of the 70s and 80s came to an end because the club brought in players who were neither good enough nor possessed the right attitude.

They thought association with a great club would make THEM great and respected. It also ended because nothing lasts forever. Losing, like winning, becomes a habit.

Ferguson may be the most successful manager in the history of the domestic game, but he is stumbling around in the dark at present.

And, unless he gets things right, that new three-year contract will be viewed as of benefit only to himself.

Brian Clough stayed too long, Bob Paisley got out at just the right time.

Ferguson said in August there was no way United could perform as badly at home as they did last season.

Well, they have played three games at Old Trafford, lost one already and scored just two goals.

That clock - that time-bomb - is not just ticking under Veron.
Tue 24/09/02 at 15:20
"High polygon count"
Mr Ripper wrote:
> Arsenal could suddenly find themselves in an injury crisis, and lose
> points all over the shop.

Could have? Like we didn't last season? We only fielded a first-choice team about 7 or 8 times last season. And United supposedly have a better squad.
Tue 24/09/02 at 15:20
"High polygon count"
Solskjær wrote:
> but surely this great run of success has gotta end soon!???

I seem to remember you saying that halfway through last season, too!

But sure, it has to come to an end at some point.

> Can't stand all the Arsenal fans I know when they get all cocky.

On the one hand I agree - they shouldn't get cocky, because that's why Man U and their fans have become so hated. On the other hand, though, it's ironic that it's a Man U fan saying that. Remember in 1998, the statements of "On loan" and "We'll get OUR trophy back?" Arsenal fans still have a way to go before they get that bad!
Tue 24/09/02 at 14:51
"Darkness, always"
Generally, the team that wins the premiership loses 4-6 games in a season. So far, Utd have lost 2. It's all still to play for. Arsenal could suddenly find themselves in an injury crisis, and lose points all over the shop. even if things stay as they are, and arsenal march on, if they have a bit of bad luck in the last month or so, they probably won't be guaranteed anything.
Tue 24/09/02 at 13:57
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'll agree on the fact that Arsenal look like they are well on their way, but surely this great run of success has gotta end soon!???
I hope so! :S
Can't stand all the Arsenal fans I know when they get all cocky.

But i'd have to disagree with 'Bestie' when he says our challenge is over.
Miracles can happen - just like when Forlan scored last Wednesday.
Who's to say it can't happen twice in one season?
And the league has only really just begun!

I'll admit that we've started terribley - that's undeniable. But there must be a way out of this somehow, and I still reckon we can finnish second if Fergie gets things absolutely SPOT-ON for the remaining 30+ games or so of this campaign.

What the hell am I sayin!!? We've blown-it too early!! :'(
You need a good start in-order to sustain a strong Challenge through-out the season, and that is something Arsenal and Spurs have that we do not.
Mon 23/09/02 at 17:47
"High polygon count"
Ooh, talk about sticking the knife in!

From TeamTalk.com...

-----

George Best has branded the current Manchester United team "a joke" - and says Arsenal already have the Premiership sewn up.

The Old Trafford legend, who is recovering from a liver transplant, has gone back on his pre-season prediction that United would be back challenging for the title.

And the former Northern Ireland international believes Sir Alex Ferguson's side's title rivals will be laughing at his old club's predicament.

Best said: "At the start of this season I was sure Manchester United would be walking away with the Premiership - how wrong I was. The team is a joke.

"That sounds harsh, but the rash of injuries, loss of good players, poor discipline and instability surrounding the club have done it for my team.
"The Premiership title is a non-starter. I think that particular piece of silverware will be heading back to Arsenal come the summer.

"As for Europe I don't think anyone's got a chance of beating Real Madrid, although Liverpool could come close.

"Right now, even Leeds, Chelsea and Newcastle are laughing up their sleeves at Manchester United - they think it's the end of an era."

Best says United's most realistic chance of silverware this term might be a tilt at the FA Cup, and added in his column for the Mail on Sunday: "That might be the case - but I wouldn't bet on it.
"The team is in the doldrums, but on their day they can still beat the best with ease.

"The Premiership is all about consistency. The FA Cup is all about rising to the occasion. That's something no team does better than United.

"My bet is that a rattled Manchester United will go for broke and lift the FA Cup. They won't be happy with just that - but at the moment it's all they deserve."
Mon 16/09/02 at 19:09
I don't like the idea of making inflexible formations up, because it's the whole dressing-room that has to change in attitude, you cant just expect the right formation to work everything out. In any case, you'd be hard-pushed to find anyone worthy of playing for united at the moment, let alone a 'dream eleven'. Teddy, so I'm told, was only offered a 1yr contract, he wanted 2, he left for spurs. They won, we lost. He's a cockney through and through, and will always relish the london lifestyle, but the fact that he wanted to stay on in manchester for 2 more years tells you all you need about the reason he left.

I don't really buy into this di canio talk- he's pretty old, has not had top-level experience for many years and is used to being the big fish in a little pool at west ham, and rarely scores away from home. Yorke has been useless for 2 years, i was happy to see him clear his bags.

No, for utd to get out of this, a whole attitude change is going to be needed- they need to move and fight like they really want it, like they did in 1999. In some ways i'm glad keano is out at the moment, because it shows up the rest of the team and lets them know that roy wont bail them out, like he usually does.

BTW, I really do believe forlan should be given 5 or 6 starts immediately, you cant judge someone on 10 minutes a match. If he's still rubbish, then at least we'll have satisfied ourselves that he really is cr@p, but let's at least give him a chance, especially while ole and ruud aren't exactly s**t hot at the moment.
Mon 16/09/02 at 13:33
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
A lot of that makes sense but in terms of Teddy Sheringham, I listened to one of his interviews after he moved to Spurs and he said that he said that he moved for his sons's sake. I think his family wanted to move back to London, however I agree that we are missing him and we miss that "creating" striker thats why I dont understand why Man Utd didn't invest £2 mil into Di Canio, he woud have given us something different upfront.

Regarding the team, the following would be my first team if everyone was fit, this would minus any of the players "that have won everything in the game"

Ricardo

G.Neville
Rio
O'Shea
Silvestre

Beckham
Keane
Scholes
Giggs

Ole Solksjaer
Van Nistlerooy

Do you now say we'd win the championship?

but what about lack of form? Beckham is not playing well as isn't Giggs or any of our strikers. Veron is a world class player - even I believe that but he isnt fitting into United, because the game maybe too quick for him, but we have seen the best of him - cast your mind back to the Tottenham game, he was brilliant in that game, so we know he can do it.

I think concern is that Sir Alex always tends to play players out of position, I.e if Giggs is injured we will see Veron move to left wing rather than bring in Djordic or Stwart as natural replacement or stick Scholes on the right wing or upfront and assume they'l make the same impact, and the following wing expect them to move around again - If a players not happy playing in sily roles why play them there? it will only break confidence.

I wouldn't play Barthez, Blanc or P.Neville in the first team and keep them as back up players, because they are all liabilities.

We also dont have the striking options that we used to, we could do with Yorke right now as a creating/scoring striker who I think was sold for nothing! you look at liverpool, Owen is not playing well, so they decide to drop him and bring in Milan Baro who literally won the game for them against Bolton, and if not him then Diouf could come in. but what can we do now our front men are not in form? you look at the bench and we have Forlan and noone else. We cannot drop anyone as we dont have replacements, so we shall plough in hope for a miracle.

Hopefully when we have a fully fit squad and Keano/Scholes come back the situation will get better.
Mon 16/09/02 at 01:49
Alright kids, let a proper manc tell you what the problem at old trafford is this season, and last. It's not veron, it's not beckham, it's not even keano. In 1998, Man Utd were an emerging team: cole and yorke were playing the best football of their life, beckham and giggs were playing out of their skins, stam was like a rock and keano was inspirational. But this team has become too stale, too used to success. It's not just the nevilles and giggs of this world, it's the verons, blancs and barthezs- people that have already won trophies, aren't in the first flush of youth and aren't hungry. And this self-satisfaction manifests itself in predictable attacking, going down the same channels as before, just not being inventive and creative. I think ferguson is partly to blame too: he's been part of the old trafford furniture for donkeys years, and now spends far less time on the training ground than he used to, he's got no mcclaren or kidd, he's off down the horses. I think veron's a superb player not cut out for united. For so long, ferguson's dreamed of getting players like him and rivaldo at united, and when given the chance, didn't consider the fact that, though a gifted footballer, veron wouldn't work at united and bought him anyway. I like Rio, he's going to do us proud. But my number 1 transfer grievance is actually the SALE of teddy to tottenham. Apparently, ferguson wouldn't give him a 2yr contract. What, so he's not going to play for spurs next season? For that we've lost the services of a fantastic, one in a million, forward, critically under-valued.

Dont blame van nistelrooy, he's a quality striker deprived of service and fellow strikers worthy of his talent. Last season tells you he's top drawer, it's just that like all strikers, he's suffering from confidence at the very worst time. Same goes for solksjaer. No confidence.

well that's my rant over with, if anything else comes to me be sure you'll be the first to know, you lucky people.
Sat 14/09/02 at 10:30
Regular
I have to agree with a lot of stuff there. Even though i don't want to.

Blanc should go as soon as possible.

Maybe keep Forlan

Veron should go

Butt should be given a chance

No wonder Van Nistelrooy hasn't been at his best. He's been having to act as a attacking midfielder more than a striker! Keane needs to be back ASAP. Man United fall apart without him.

Last thing, Why the hell didn't Fergie sign another striker before the transfer window closed?!
Fri 13/09/02 at 22:47
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
Solskjær wrote:
> Ripping off the Armband permanently could bring him back down towards
> Earth. Despite all his hard work and efforts, we're just not the same
> team anymore, and maybe a new leader can change all that.

Taking the armband from him is probably the best idea, he may see that as the drive and the motivation for him when he returns to a lack lustre United team or as a worst case scenario decide to booger off and sulk about it. Any of the central defenders would be fine candidates for the captaincy just as long as Beckham does not get it, he is not a leader and never really will be.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.