GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Battle Engine Aquila"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/09/02 at 16:57
Regular
I can't buy the new OXM because of the Crazy Taxi 3 demo - (don't want to get too used to it before it comes out).

But if anyone has got it, what's the demo of Battle Engine Aquila like?

Some people on the OXM forums are raving about it saying it has amazingly detailed graphics and that the gameplay is brilliantly intense.

I've had my eye on this one for a while. I wish I could play the demo.... but I must resist. :)

So if anyone's played the demo, maybe you could tell us what you think?
Sat 21/09/02 at 18:05
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah I wanna get this game too. At the moment though there seems to be a problem in a release date materialising. Some sources say its due over the next few weeks while others claim its not out till just after Christmas. :-|
Sat 21/09/02 at 11:58
Regular
Woa!

Just played the demo today, And boy is it decent!

Graphics are superb, The 3 weapons that you get to use are awesome! I think this game is going to be huge!

I agree YH, The scale of this game is quite big, Seeing little foot soldiers running like ants across the plains just makes you feel huge.

I have noticed you can knock trees down with weapons or just plain walking your Battle Engine into them.

The AI is decent, The war still goes on regardless if you take part or not.

The demo gives you objectives to look after Transport vessels, So you don't just sit back doing nothing.

I liked the fact that you can only be airbourne for a certain amount of time, Energy conservation.

One thing is the woman says something about a Repair pad - Where is that?

I know this might sound sad, But i liked the Developers screen, "Lost Toys" floating down in water, i liked that!

I am looking forward to getting this game.
Tue 10/09/02 at 20:35
this sounds decent whens it out???
Tue 10/09/02 at 20:30
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Strafex wrote:
> Huge scale wars?
>
> Now THAT is what next gen processors were designed for!
>
>
> Rogue Leader did this on a not-quite-so-impressive scale.

I know what you mean. I think one of Rogue Leader's problems was that it didn;t leave much room for you to enjoy the levels. The game basically forced you to run around like a blue ar5e fly trying to save everything from getting destroyed.

These kinds of open large scale war games are what I love to play. Rather than being mankinds last hope (very tired story now), your part of a large army where you can make a difference. Battle Engine Aquila looks to be doing an excellent job so far so hopefully it should turn out excellent.
:-)
Tue 10/09/02 at 16:58
Regular
Vast Luckystar wrote:
> Crazy Taxi 3 still has the great arcade gameplay, but the Las Vegas
> city doesn't quite feel right. I think it's the night time atmosphere.
> Doesn't really suit Crazy Taxi. The sunny blue skies work much
> better.
> The graphics aren't any better than the Dreamcast versions. Perhaps a
> sequel too far?

Don't forget there's still the San Francisco city *West Coast* which is in the sunny blue sky daytime. And there's *another day* mode which *might* make the night cities be playable in daylight [possibly?].

The graphics are the same as on the Dreamcast, but all the cool gameplay is still there. And the Glitter Oasis city has more countryside in it than I thought there'd be. It's a bit like my country'n'western edition.
Tue 10/09/02 at 15:53
Regular
The Battle Engine Aquila demo is excellent.
Gorgeous graphics, very Halo-like with the blue sky and the green hills, and the sci-fi crafts and soliders. The mission on the demo is short, but it has an epic quality.

Crazy Taxi 3 still has the great arcade gameplay, but the Las Vegas city doesn't quite feel right. I think it's the night time atmosphere. Doesn't really suit Crazy Taxi. The sunny blue skies work much better.
The graphics aren't any better than the Dreamcast versions. Perhaps a sequel too far?
Tue 10/09/02 at 15:45
Regular
Huge scale wars?

Now THAT is what next gen processors were designed for!

Rogue Leader did this on a not-quite-so-impressive scale.
That was more down to the game being rushed out within 8 months.
Even then, some of the battles like Hoth and Revenge on Yavin were pretty impressive.

Yavin actually featured a full scale Empire raid on the Rebel base.
You play as Darth Vader and you lead an Emperial force onto an Island to storm the rebels. As you do, Rebel forces start launching in to their fighters and start evacuating the planet in giant transports.
It also has Emperial ships dropping pods where ground units got out.

It was fairly impressive, but not half as good as landing and getting in the thick of the action as well!
Tue 10/09/02 at 13:26
Regular
Thanks YH. From what you say, it all sounds very promising indeed.
Maybe I should just go and buy the mag after all.... Usually demos tend to put me off, but this Battle Engine Aquila demo seems well worth testing out.
Tue 10/09/02 at 12:23
Regular
"RIP Resurrection"
ah so i aint the only one here :)
Tue 10/09/02 at 12:21
Regular
Ok, played it some more this morning, actually completed the demo now. It's only one level from the game, and takes about 10 mins to get through. Realised a few more things when playing it now, so I'm not quite as crap as before! :0)

1. You can't actually fly for that long. When in fly mode you have a blue bar in the middle of the HUD, as you fly this goes down. When it's empty, you have to land. If you land in water, you die. The blue bar regenerates when you're in Walking mode.

2. The scale of the game. I hadn't noticed them before because they're so small, but there's actually foot soldiers in the game. The scale of things is huge. You've got eveything from 6ft tall soldiers to enemy ships hundreds of feet long.

3. AI. This is pretty damn good. Your forces attack in formation, regardless of what you do. In my view this is good. You can either work with them, or wander off and attack from a different direction, like I did. This technique seems to work well for the level in the demo.

I wasn't that bothered about this game before I played the demo, but I'm definately tempted to get it when it's released. Don't just go by my thoughts though, see what other people think as well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.