GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Substance"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/09/02 at 10:53
Regular
Metal Gear Substance, expensive add on/extra's style pack?

Yup, I thought so....until I heard the preview video on the new OPS2 magazine. I'm still not 100% sure it's going to be worth the £40ish, but it does definitely sound like it's going to be a vital part to the Metal Gear Storyline.

For those that haven't seen it, snake says several lines hinting that the events from MGS 2 weren't real. Sure, most of us figured that anyway eh ? But... Snake hints that parts of it were real as well, theres also loads of stuff about reality/imagined, magic being technology e.t.c. One bit showed Meryl on the bridge of the tanker as well, with Snake...

Basically there are loads and loads of little plot snippets all over the video preview.

What does anyone else thing about MGS Substance ?

~~Belldandy~~
Tue 10/09/02 at 17:08
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
ps2_proud wrote:
> its out in ocotber or summit is it not?

Nope :( OPS2 Magazine had a letter from someone about it on p134 of the new issue and they say the release is in March.

I don't think Substance will solve all the questions in MGS2, but I think its going to start answering a few.

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 08/09/02 at 21:41
"period drama"
Here's basically what i heard:

Get to play the game through with raiden or Snake in either part (Raiden even has the blade the whole way through)

Lots of VR missions

Lots of seperate mission based in familiar locations but not part of the story.

No skateboarding

And there's some more extras I forget about.

I'd definatly get it as an expansion pack and less than £40 - you have to have the original type thing.

I think there's an extended story line too about eveerything being VR-type or just a game or something.
Sun 08/09/02 at 20:57
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> The video preview, I think, suggests that although there are VR
> missions aplenty, they are also somehow linked to the plot this time,
> not just training missions. The game isn't out over here until March
> 2003 so penty of time yet.
>
> ~~Belldandy~~

its out in ocotber or summit is it not?
Sun 08/09/02 at 20:41
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Well, if all this work of Konami's comes off and we all end up understanding what actually happened in the game, they deserve a clap.
Sun 08/09/02 at 16:29
Regular
I understood most of MGS2. How nothing was real, it was a simulation to re-create what happened on Shadow Moses (MGS1). Im not sure what Substance is, wheither it is the same as MGS2 but you can play as different characters at different parts.

I dunno, its rather weird.
Sun 08/09/02 at 16:09
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I don't reckon the skate boarding bit wil be in MGS2 as, in the interviews Kojima has given in OPS2 Magazine, it seems clear he wants to continue the storyline, and it's hard to see how a boarding Snake could do that.

It's clear that the mission on the rig, in the MGS storyline, wasn't real, but parts of it were, a few bits of info, like what happens in the final ending cut scenes and Otacon finding out who funds them.., in fact I think who was on the tanker could be wrong, gah !

This is worse than the X Files alien storyline !

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:55
Regular
"  "
Two thangs...

1)The big godzilla like VR's look ace with the giant metal guards.

2)So is the Snake-boarding on MGS Substance or is it still just an advert for the bonus Snake character in Evo Skateboarding?
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:54
I had MGS2 but didnt like it at all. It wasnt my sort of game so i wont be getting substance or whatever its called. Its probably just a cop out to try and get more money out of the millions of metal gear solid fans - just like Nintendo do with every Mario game that is brought out
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:52
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Don't really give a toss about the storyline, I watched the video on the OPSM2 DVD and thought the way the VR levels loaded was just ace. I'd get it just for that, if I was an oaf.
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:50
"smelly!!"
I think the skateboarding extra looks an amusing touch, plus snake being the main character in this one, it may be better, no it will be better

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.