GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X Box Sucks!!"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/09/02 at 16:30
Regular
Now that I have your attention I need some advice!

Im thinking of purchasing an X Box, even more so now that the price has dropped. However I already own a PS2 and GC which Im extremely happy with but I want to know if there is room for all three consoles - Does anyone here own all three? If so which do you play the most?

There are loads of exclusive games I want to get like Halo 1+2, JSRF, Project Gotham 1+2, Buffy, Crazy Taxi 3 etc... Then there is X Box Live plus the rumors of Microsoft buying Rare which is even more tempting!

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Tue 03/09/02 at 19:20
Regular
"Unretired"
The remote is £19.99 now methinks.
Tue 03/09/02 at 19:10
Regular
Mattboy, Your Answer = Yes.

If you've got the $$ theres loads of brilliant launch games, and many more EXCELLENT games to come on the xbox over the Christmas period.

Blinx Timesweeper and Splinter Cell looks awesome with 150 games to be out by xmas.

This is a perfect time to sample xbox delights before a Hige rush of games arrives. Also with Xbox Live just around the cornor.

I found someone off the OXM forum who wrote this post about the Xbox's specs and games and it might be a little Xbox-Bias, Don't tell me off as i did'nt write it!

"
For instance- the Xbox has a custom Intel 733Mhz proccessor, an nVidia NV2A GPU, 64 megabytes of unified RAM, 256 sound channels, 8 gigabyte partitioned hard drive, an ethernet port for access to Broadband Online gaming via XboxLIVE!, DVD Drive using 7 gigabyte DVD9 discs, access to DVD home movies via Remote control (£29.99 RRP)

This means:

116.5 million polygons per second at a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080, full-screen pixel-free anti-aliasing, Surround sound through both home theatre and stereo speakers.

you control this via:

Fully analogue forc-feedback control pad, 4 controller ports, which support 4-way simultaneous play.

Xbox is the most powerful console ever and its been designed primarily for one thing in mind.........TO PLAY GAMES!!

Microsoft may be new to the console market but over the past couple of years it's quietly become one of the world's most important PC game developers and publishers. This has put the company in an ideal position to move up a league- to become a format holder and take on the might of Japanese giants SONY and Nintendo.

COMPARISON

Xbox- 733 Mhz
PS2- 295 Mhz
Gamecube- 405 Mhz

The GPU enables things only other companies could dream, it enables developers to use Vertex shading, anti-aliasing, graphics routing,real-time shadowns,reflection mapping, texture definition, bump-mapping, superior polygon proccessing, texture compression, simultaneous textures.

The advantages of this 'hardwiring' of routines is that they can be implemented in game software without additional strain on the CPU. The CPU is left solely to pure-power the mechanics of the game allowing programmers to build increasingly convincing game environments and detailed scenarios

COMPARISON

Xbox- 116.5 Million polygons per second
PS2- 66 Million polygons per second
Gamecube- 8 Million polygons per second all effects enabled

Xbox is the first console to come with a free built-in hard drive, and the only one to have persistent internal memory. The 8 gigabytes of available memory has huge implications for the type of games that will be made for Xbox and the different experiences they'll be able to offer the player.

The benefits are huge, and simple thanks to the hard-drive management interface on the menu screens, wheras in the underbelly of the Xbox it gets the advantages of quicker, and if used correctly INSTANTANEOUS loading times, games can be so much bigger thanks to the partitioned HDD games can store temporary information without interfering with the save game files. Also a HDD enables Persistent dynamic worlds, upgrades, internet downloads and level editors

COMPARISON

XBOX- 8Gb built-in Hard-drive
PS2- No Hard drive- One available as optional extra (£100+)
Gamecube- No hard drive.

Memory Bandwidth

Xbox- 6.4GB per second
PS2- 3.2GB per second
Gamecube-2.6GB per second

Networking and connectivity.

Xbox-4 controller ports, Broadband built-in
PS2- 2 controller ports Multi tap avalable (£20), BB via additional purchase (100+)
Gamecube-4 Controller ports

Sound

Xbox- 256 channels
PS2- 48 Audio channels
Gamecube-64 Audio channels

Resolution

Xbox- 1920x1080
PS2- 1280x1024
Gamecube- 1600x1200

AND THE GAMES

Xbox has been criticised for its lack of games, however by March next year Xbox will have half the amount of ps2 games- IN HALF THE TIME.

And they wont be bad games either

ACTION:
Unreal Championship
Doom III
Half-Life 2
B.C
YAGER
SWAT: Global Strike Team
Mace Griffin
The Thing
Dreadnoughts
Brute Force
Medal Of honour : Allied Assault
Falcone : Into the Maelstrom
Ghost Recon
Blade Of Darkness
Panzer Dragoon
The Matrix
GIANTS
Splinter Cell
Halo 2
Metal Gear Solid Substance
Ninja Gaiden
Blinx : The Time Sweeper
Battle Engine Aquila
Project nomad
Breed
Shayde
LOTR : TFOTR

Racing Games:
Toca Race Driver
SEGA GT 2002
Quantum Redshift
Crazy Taxi 3
Grand Prix 4
Maximum Chase
Rally Trophy
Ridge Racer Next
Lotus Challenge
Project gotham Racing 2
Rallisport Challenge 2
F1 2003
Colin McRAe Rally 3
Midtown MAdness 3
Total Immersion Racing
Racing Evoluzione
Lamborghini

BEAT EM UPS:
Kakuto Chojin
Soul Calibur 2
Rocky
Mortal Komat X

SPORT GAMES:
Dave Mirra XXX
Champ Manager 4
LMA Manager 2003
ISS PRO EVO X
Transworld Snowboarding
Outlaw Golf
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4
NBA 2kIII
NHL 2003
FIFA 2003
NFL 2002
Knockout Kings 2003

PLATFORM & RPG

Galleon
ShenMue II
Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind
Silent Hill : Inner Fears
Myst III Exile
Phantasy Star Online
Baldurs Gate : X
Shogun : Ultimate War
Malice
Rayman M
Apprentice Night
Toejam & Earl

AND THESE ARE THE QUALITY ONES. Like every console it has its bad ones. But if you check OXBM (the only reliable Xbox mag) you will soon discover that there are ALREADY more good ones."

:-)
Tue 03/09/02 at 19:05
Regular
"Unretired"
Hey resurection, The GC has not been out for long, give it some time. You only need to read a Cube magasine to see the huge number of online games planned.

Also I find your "Kiddie Tat" remark rather ignorant, please do some research before posting.

I can obviosly tell you refering to the bright coloured cheerful games such as Monkey Ball and Pikmin, mario and the like...

But If you bought monkey ball for your 5 year old son I highly doubt he would reach past first level, same with a lot of games. Looks arent everything.

Also summer is the time when developers are lazy and do not create much on any consoles, which was bad luck for the Cubes may release, but its been promised there will be 100 GOOD games out by christmas (As well as a lot of bad ones).

If you still deny the cube a chance, and carry on spamming that its a load of trash, I can post a list of all them 100 games, as well as all the current online games planned.

And you refer to "mature" games, I guess running around murdering people watching blood and gore spill across the screen is mature?

Also, on your comments made earlier as Gamecube having only a "Kiddie" Selection of games, it has a lot of 18+ Gamecube exclusive games.

I hope you will give yourself the chance to actually take all this in, on doubt you will respond with another idiotic remark as usual.
Tue 03/09/02 at 18:38
Regular
No he asked if there was room for all 3 consoles.

e.g is there much point in getting an Xbox.
Tue 03/09/02 at 18:30
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> ~Resurection~ wrote:
>
> as for the GC i wouldn't bother, there online line up is like 1
> game,
> the mem cards get filled up and most games on it worth having are on
> other consoles.
>
> Ressurection once again proves what an ignorant fanboy he really is.
> If you actually read the topic correctly he said he already has a
> Gamecube and is happy with it.
>
> You're insulting something you obviously have no idea about, why don't
> you get your facts straight before you start spewwing your crap next
> time.

if you could read you'll see he was actualy asking if keeping all of them is worth it, he'd be better off trading the GC in for some more x box and PS2 games :)
Tue 03/09/02 at 18:18
Regular
~Resurection~ wrote:

> as for the GC i wouldn't bother, there online line up is like 1 game,
> the mem cards get filled up and most games on it worth having are on
> other consoles.

Ressurection once again proves what an ignorant fanboy he really is. If you actually read the topic correctly he said he already has a Gamecube and is happy with it.

You're insulting something you obviously have no idea about, why don't you get your facts straight before you start spewwing your crap next time.
Tue 03/09/02 at 17:54
Regular
Well Mattyboy, if ever there was a good time to buy, now is it - with the new low price and just in time for the Christmas games' rush and all.
There are great games due out on all the consoles, and if I had the funds, I'd definately want to own all 3 machines.
Tue 03/09/02 at 17:36
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Wookie i see what you mean, but i have been looking throughsome of the releases over the next 6 months and i can see quite a few games that i must have, i admit there has been quite a dry period over the summer.

But there are loads of games that i will want, i bet if you look at the releases over the next few months you would find it extremly hard to say you wouldn't want so many of the games.

Goattyboy i would get one if i were as they do offer superb gameing experience, and with xbox live on the way if you have broadband you will not be seen out and about for a while.
Tue 03/09/02 at 17:10
Regular
If you can afford it, then what have you got to lose? And if you're a Crazy Taxi fan like me, then it's the only place to be.
Tue 03/09/02 at 17:03
"High polygon count"
I've got all three machines, and I play on the PS2 most.

I've found the Xbox to be a big disappointment so far. I got mine at launch (March), and apart from the first 3/4 weeks, it hasn't been used - apart from about 3 weeks ago, when I picked up Max Payne 2nd-hand. That lasted me two nights, but overall, software has so far been a massive let-down for me personally - simply because there hasn't been enough of it.

To be honest, I've been considering selling mine for quite a while - but I've clung on desperately in the hope that things will improve.

To be fair, though, you shouldn't have this problem. There are some potentially great games due for the machine in the run up to Xmas. I've said here many times (as no doubt several people will tell you) that I believe MS launched at the wrong time, and didn't have the quality games to follow it up.

Because of the games due, now is probably a far better time to buy an Xbox than March 15th was. Not only do you have the new bargain price, but you should also have the software to warrant the purchase. I see the coming months almost as a second launch for the Xbox, and with the price and software, sales *should* pick up. Who knows - it may even become a contender.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.