GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Am I sad?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/09/02 at 14:31
Regular
I'm 15 years old. I live in a country village, five miles from the town where my school is and about 15 miles from Southampton. I have a GameCube, Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, N64, PlayStation and a GameBoy Advance. In my room, I have the first four consoles from that list set up. On the walls of my room, I have posters, as most normal people have. While there are some which have movies, animals or other stuff on them, about half are gaming posters. On my book case, I've got a stack of gaming magazines, along with roughly 60 games dispersed among those seven consoles. In the top of my wardrobe are all the boxes for those consoles and their accessories. I've got 4 GC controllers, 4 N64 controllers, 2 PlayStation controllers, 2 PS2 controllers, 3 Xbox and 1 Dreamcast controller. I also have a fairly old and crap PC set up on my desk, with plenty of old retro/emulator games on it.

The question I'm asking is, am I sad? Am I a computer game geek who spends all his time playing games? Am I obsessed?

I can't answer this question myself. I mean, on the other side of things, I'm fairly well-off (hence the consoles), I've got plenty of friends (hence the controllers), I go out a lot (hence the wardrobe for all my clothes ;) and I don't spend more than an hour a day playing games. Some days I don't even play at all. Remember, I do live in a village, and only one of my friends lives within walking/biking distance.

So I'm asking you, am I a computer game geek?
Tue 03/09/02 at 14:31
Regular
"¬_¬"
I'm 15 years old. I live in a country village, five miles from the town where my school is and about 15 miles from Southampton. I have a GameCube, Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, N64, PlayStation and a GameBoy Advance. In my room, I have the first four consoles from that list set up. On the walls of my room, I have posters, as most normal people have. While there are some which have movies, animals or other stuff on them, about half are gaming posters. On my book case, I've got a stack of gaming magazines, along with roughly 60 games dispersed among those seven consoles. In the top of my wardrobe are all the boxes for those consoles and their accessories. I've got 4 GC controllers, 4 N64 controllers, 2 PlayStation controllers, 2 PS2 controllers, 3 Xbox and 1 Dreamcast controller. I also have a fairly old and crap PC set up on my desk, with plenty of old retro/emulator games on it.

The question I'm asking is, am I sad? Am I a computer game geek who spends all his time playing games? Am I obsessed?

I can't answer this question myself. I mean, on the other side of things, I'm fairly well-off (hence the consoles), I've got plenty of friends (hence the controllers), I go out a lot (hence the wardrobe for all my clothes ;) and I don't spend more than an hour a day playing games. Some days I don't even play at all. Remember, I do live in a village, and only one of my friends lives within walking/biking distance.

So I'm asking you, am I a computer game geek?
Tue 03/09/02 at 14:39
Yes.

But more importantly, why should it matter?
Tue 03/09/02 at 14:39
Regular
I wouldn't say that you're a geek.

Life is all about doing lots of different things, but in moderation. I.e, I don't get people who go to the same club every friday and saturday night. What's the point? I don't get people who always stay in and watch films, or always listen to the same music or always play computer games.

I like to do different things. So some nights I go out with mates, some I'll stya in and watch films either with mates or by myself. Sometimes I'll go to the cinema with friends or go to a club.

If you'd said you spend all your time playing games, then I would have said you were a geek. But given the circumstances, and that you said you don't really play games that much considering the equipment you've got, then NO, you're not a geek.
Tue 03/09/02 at 15:00
Regular
You're not just a geek, you're like geek royalty.

No seriously, do what you enjoy, and if you enjoy playing loads of games, then that's fine.
I play games all the time, sometimes 10 hours a day. But I'm no geek. No, no, no.
Tue 03/09/02 at 16:22
Regular
"Excommunicated"
You're obsessed yes

No such thing as computer geek unless you spend your life opening PCs and getting excited about MXP double gold 500 MHz super driver.
Tue 03/09/02 at 16:46
Regular
No you're not sad, you're just very rich.
How d'you afford all this stuff?
Tue 03/09/02 at 16:50
Regular
"That's right!"
You do seem to spend too much time playing games. I have a load of old consoles, but they're all packed away somewhere. I only really use my PC, which I use a lot for my scripts and the internet etc. Rarely play games on it (despite owning so many)

Owning all those consoles either makes you a spoilt child, or an obsessed geek
Tue 03/09/02 at 16:53
Regular
Whether you're a geek or not, i don't think the issue of the label matters.

However,
1. You don't spend that much time gaming.
2. On my 2 consoles (cube, n64) i have 30 - 40 games. Having already established you're loaded, buying more games is inevitable, but you dont have that many more, especially considering the number of consoles.

So if you really do care whether you're a 'geek', or whether you game 'too much', it looks like a blatant 'no'.
Tue 03/09/02 at 17:16
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I wouldn't call you sad unless you spent all of your free time playing games. I've heard people on this forum claim they play games non stop for 12 hours, now that's sad and excessive.
Tue 03/09/02 at 17:44
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
You aren't sad unless A:- you dress up as spock and go to star trek conventions or B:- Play war hammer every hour of every day actually worshipping the fictional gods lol ;D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.