GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game Over Already ?...."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 31/08/02 at 21:10
Regular
Unless Nintendo drop to at least £109.99 - £99.99 by mid november at the latest then they'll lose the Christmas sales war and may as well give up. The X Box and PS2 are just too strong at their new prices, especially Microsoft's black box.

DVD on the two above consoles is selling them. Many people argue that if you want to play DVD's you buy a DVD player, but thats missing the point. Firstly, many PS2'/X box's are going to be Christmas presents for kids, who probably don't have a DVD player in their rooms. Secondly, it's another feature, you CAN play DVDs on them but the Gamecube CANNOT. You don't have the choice, but pay another 30-40 and you get that choice with the PS2 and X Box.

Games wise, things are looking rosy - Resident Evil 13/9, Mario Sunshine 3/10, Eternal Darkness 1/11, Starfox 22/11, and thats just the big titles. Sony still have an edge though, they've got the reputation for mature gaming. They don't neccesarily appeal to mature gamers, but to teenagers who want to appear more mature, like 14 years olds watching an 18 rated film. Sony also have a quality budget line up, another thing the Gamecube lacks because of it's newness :) (Is that a word ??) Microsoft are slowly on the up as decent games filter out at a faster rate.

To us, Gamers, the console sales war, and ultimately which consoles succeed and fail, is determined by the games adn the quality of them. Problem is, it isn't like that in the real world. A low price point and cheap games usually win the day, unless you've got something really special behind you, like a plumber maybe ? :)

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 31/08/02 at 21:10
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Unless Nintendo drop to at least £109.99 - £99.99 by mid november at the latest then they'll lose the Christmas sales war and may as well give up. The X Box and PS2 are just too strong at their new prices, especially Microsoft's black box.

DVD on the two above consoles is selling them. Many people argue that if you want to play DVD's you buy a DVD player, but thats missing the point. Firstly, many PS2'/X box's are going to be Christmas presents for kids, who probably don't have a DVD player in their rooms. Secondly, it's another feature, you CAN play DVDs on them but the Gamecube CANNOT. You don't have the choice, but pay another 30-40 and you get that choice with the PS2 and X Box.

Games wise, things are looking rosy - Resident Evil 13/9, Mario Sunshine 3/10, Eternal Darkness 1/11, Starfox 22/11, and thats just the big titles. Sony still have an edge though, they've got the reputation for mature gaming. They don't neccesarily appeal to mature gamers, but to teenagers who want to appear more mature, like 14 years olds watching an 18 rated film. Sony also have a quality budget line up, another thing the Gamecube lacks because of it's newness :) (Is that a word ??) Microsoft are slowly on the up as decent games filter out at a faster rate.

To us, Gamers, the console sales war, and ultimately which consoles succeed and fail, is determined by the games adn the quality of them. Problem is, it isn't like that in the real world. A low price point and cheap games usually win the day, unless you've got something really special behind you, like a plumber maybe ? :)

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:01
Regular
Firstly thats a load of crap.

Secondly the PS2s christmas line up is dismal.
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:20
Regular
"Festivus!"
Thirdly, the 'Cube is cool
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:28
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Games like Resident Evil and Mario Sunshine boosted sales greatly for the Cube in Japan and America, regardless of the fact that it doesn't have a DVD player.

That's the consoles main selling point you see, it's games, not it's ability to play movies.
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:46
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
The Gamecube rocks, it'll never loose out, never.

*runs off and touches wood.

And yes we do have a plumber at hand ;)
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:54
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Ah yes, him.

;)
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:43
Regular
I agree with Belldandy actually.
A reasonably priced Q might change things, but hey, that's not about to happen :^)

If i were buying my first n-gen console and didn't have a dvd, i'd go with the xbox (i think i mentioned that somewhere else).

Could see ninty falling back on the gba?

I think there's a good chance that with the correct marketing, eternal darkness and resi can steal the ps2's thunder, but the xbox is a different question.
Sun 01/09/02 at 21:04
Regular
The good thing about the GameCube is that you only pay for what you want. Now, the Q Cube is about £150.00 and that's rumoured to be coming out in Europe (someone got a 'maybe' when they e-mailed Panasonic). The PS2's DVD player is only worth about £30.00 at most, and the X-Box's requires a £30.00 add-on.
Sun 01/09/02 at 21:09
Regular
I doubt we'll see the q, and if we did, itwouldn't be at that price.

As for the 'maybe', i'd just put it down to a customer services rep giving a non-commital answer to a difficult question.

Hope i'm wrong though.
Sun 01/09/02 at 21:23
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
The Pansonic Q, sells for around £299 at Lik Sang, I dont think even if Europe gets the Q, it will not be for £150, as it not only plays dvds, it plays vcds, mp3s, Ninty cube games, and comes with an LCD Screen, and Looks damn heavy!

Also I think that the gamecube will do well this Xmas, Xbox will be in third place, as you always read on the net that the box is 3rd.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.