GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"£75 repair?!?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/08/02 at 19:04
Regular
Doh.

Watched 24 the other day, and had my PS2 on for about 20 hours. It didn`t blink. Got all the way through without even twitching once. My brothers PS2 on the other hand managed to fry its brains after only an hour on Final Fantasy 10.

One year warranty... not really that much good when you`ve had the thing for 1 year and 1 month.

£75 to repair the machine - a bit much if you ask me as its virtually half the cost of a new one. Plus the fact its going to be missing for the next 3-5 weeks.

Well, it had to happen someday I guess. I`ve never ever felt let down by Sony before, despite the number of Sony manufactured products I`ve owned (TVs, Hi-fis, Consoles etc...). This however is a let down. If it gets back and stays repaired for at least 5 years then I`ll forgive them, but this repair job had better work...
Wed 04/09/02 at 23:18
Regular
Yeh, I had heard about a lot of people getting free repairs and replacements, so I guess you could be right, this is a new change of policy. Perhaps they had too many people claiming for things that were completely their own fault, I dunno.

Whatever the reason, its annoying, but I guess it`ll be worth it. I hope :D
Sun 01/09/02 at 18:57
"High polygon count"
In all my years owning a PlayStation, this is the first time I have ever heard of Sony charging for a repair.

A friend of mine had a 2nd-hand PSone (original model, well out of warranty)) which his kids broke by pushing it onto the floor. He phoned Sony and they gave him a new one (well, reconditioned) free of charge.

Also, it's been mentioned on here numerous times that Sony have replaced PS2s out of warranty for nothing also.

Wonder if it's a recent change in company policy?
Sun 01/09/02 at 18:47
Regular
"¬_¬"
Wow, strange. My mates PS2 broke after literally 13 months, and he had to pay £75 to get it replaced with a reconditioned one. Spooky. Funny thing was, he got his at launch, so his packed up Christmas week!
Sun 01/09/02 at 13:33
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
SSX, my brother's PS2 packed up after 13 months and Sony sent him a reconditioned (repaired one) FOC - in exchange for his, they may still do this, I don't know. His just packed up doing everything one morning. He has had no problems since - don't know if he any warranty with the reconditioned one ???
Sat 31/08/02 at 01:35
Regular
( . )Juicy Melons( . ) wrote:
> I think it also happened to my friends (thry're twins). They couldn't
> get Pro Evo working and when it did work, the referee was invisable.
> Now whether Pro Evo is a DVD will probably prove if it was the same
> thing that happened to theirs.

Pro Evo is on one of those Neon blue normal CD thingys...Unless of course you are talking about Pro evo 2 ( which isnt even out yet) which i have no idea about.

And lol at the reply Ine-San gave to this post by juicy melons...
Sat 31/08/02 at 00:53
Regular
ssxpro wrote:
>
> £75 to repair the machine - a bit much if you ask me as its
> virtually half the cost of a new one. Plus the fact its going to be
> missing for the next 3-5 weeks.
>

The reason you have to wait for 3-5 weeks is because of me. Basically in the old days sony's mr postie would come to the door with a lovely refurbished ps1 and you would give them your faulty unit and the transistion from duff ps1 to working ps1 was painless apart from the financial hit of course. However then I happened. Mr postie came and gave me a spanking beautiful refurbised ps1. It was the business. However what I gave him was the most knackered ps1 in the history of the universe. The ps1 case was rough (not terrible though), the cd drive was completely, the motherboard was totally and utterly dead, the psu board had blown, the modulator was knackered, the joypad was semi crushed. In every way it was a duffer. Everything needed replacing basically. As you can imagine no ps1 was ever this duff as in fact it was a mixture of four different ps1s. So in essense 4 ps1s repaired for the price of 1. Hurray! Sadly now Sony has got wise to this and its no more.

I would never contemplate getting a ps2 repaired now though. I mean £75 is as you say about half that of a new ps2. The new ps2 will probably come with a game and you get a controller. You can also sell on your old ps2 bits.
Fri 30/08/02 at 23:25
Regular
"WWJD"
24? ive heared about this, is it some program? never once seen it and as it's so big i would of thought i would of seen it, is it on sunday mornings? if so i would of been at church but i would of still seen adverts. Strange
Fri 30/08/02 at 21:26
Regular
"Don't Mess Yourself"
( . )Juicy Melons( . ) wrote:
> I think it also happened to my "friend" He couldn't
> get Pro Evo working and when it did work, the referee was a woman.
> Now whether Pro Evo is rubbish will probably prove if it was the same
> thing that happened to his.

Everyone must Geoffry Boycott Ps2 Forums now! I am your wife now!
Fri 30/08/02 at 20:50
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
I think it also happened to my friends (thry're twins). They couldn't get Pro Evo working and when it did work, the referee was invisable. Now whether Pro Evo is a DVD will probably prove if it was the same thing that happened to theirs.
Fri 30/08/02 at 20:37
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Yeah, my mates PS2 is exactly the same, dunno if he's repaired it yet though.

He dropped it on the floor, guess thats his own fault.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.