GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cinema Crimes"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 18:03
Regular
Q: what’s the worst 90 minutes you can have? A: watching a film based on a computer game.
Q: what’s the worst game you can play? A: a game based on a film.

The game and film industries seem to be locked in a loop where good games are consistently made into bad films and good films made into bad games. The latest example is Resident Evil, a great game with a good plot that’s easily transferable to film, and the potential to attract a larger audience of people other than those who’ve played the game.

Instead, we get some rubbish about a super-computer. Did the produces and directors even play the game? As a Resident Evil fan, I was hoping for a dark, chilling film along the lines of zombies, event horizon or the thing not the monster equivalent of a teen horror flick. This seems to be the problem with most films based on games. The directors and producers think that gamers are either too young or too stupid to understand a good story, and this justifies a shoddy film that would never be made if not for the easy association with a large potential audience. Final fantasy, Tomb Raider and now resident evil are all guilty of dubbing down in a patronising attempt to gain gamers interest.

The same principle is at work when films are turned into bad games MIB2 is a perfect example. A good well-developed game would gain greater sales and even drive more people to watch the movie. The best movie tie-in games have been those where the movie itself has been out ages, like Die Hard Trilogy and Alien Resurrection. In this area, I have high hopes for The Thing, The Terminator and aliens colonial marines.

Maybe the films based on games should also be made about ten years after the games are released, giving them the time to put a good script together, rather than one written a week before the game franchise dies, if so, let’s hope we don’t see the movie versions of Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Medal Of Honour and Max Payne for a while yet.

Thanks for reading, Honey_Monster

What are your thoughts on this issue?
Thu 29/08/02 at 18:03
Regular
"Foxes 4 Ever!!!"
Q: what’s the worst 90 minutes you can have? A: watching a film based on a computer game.
Q: what’s the worst game you can play? A: a game based on a film.

The game and film industries seem to be locked in a loop where good games are consistently made into bad films and good films made into bad games. The latest example is Resident Evil, a great game with a good plot that’s easily transferable to film, and the potential to attract a larger audience of people other than those who’ve played the game.

Instead, we get some rubbish about a super-computer. Did the produces and directors even play the game? As a Resident Evil fan, I was hoping for a dark, chilling film along the lines of zombies, event horizon or the thing not the monster equivalent of a teen horror flick. This seems to be the problem with most films based on games. The directors and producers think that gamers are either too young or too stupid to understand a good story, and this justifies a shoddy film that would never be made if not for the easy association with a large potential audience. Final fantasy, Tomb Raider and now resident evil are all guilty of dubbing down in a patronising attempt to gain gamers interest.

The same principle is at work when films are turned into bad games MIB2 is a perfect example. A good well-developed game would gain greater sales and even drive more people to watch the movie. The best movie tie-in games have been those where the movie itself has been out ages, like Die Hard Trilogy and Alien Resurrection. In this area, I have high hopes for The Thing, The Terminator and aliens colonial marines.

Maybe the films based on games should also be made about ten years after the games are released, giving them the time to put a good script together, rather than one written a week before the game franchise dies, if so, let’s hope we don’t see the movie versions of Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Medal Of Honour and Max Payne for a while yet.

Thanks for reading, Honey_Monster

What are your thoughts on this issue?
Thu 29/08/02 at 18:05
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The worst thing ever would be a Fats & the Furious game. Imagine the horror.

Goldeneye was good. Actually, it was great.
Thu 29/08/02 at 18:09
Regular
"Foxes 4 Ever!!!"
Suppose Goldeneye was good, but wasn't great.
Thu 29/08/02 at 18:10
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You're an idiot. It is the best FPS (some might say better than PD)
Thu 29/08/02 at 18:12
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> You're an idiot. It is the best FPS (some might say better than PD)

Pfft.
Thu 29/08/02 at 18:13
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I haven't read any of the replies yet. :-)

I enjoyed both Goldeneye they game, and Goldeneye the movie, if this has not been mentioned before.
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Alas, it has already been mentioned.

:-)
Regular
"Foxes 4 Ever!!!"
Don't call me an idiot, It's my oppinon, you got a problem with that?
Thu 29/08/02 at 21:56
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Ohhh god... calm down calm down a JAT can't win against a group of Regulars but your oppinion is valid no matter what so it doesn't matter if they agree or not. Personally I thought Golden Eye was just another Bond movie no better or worse than the rest and the same with the game but it doesn't really matter what everyone else thinks :D (although it is good if they agree ;D )
Thu 29/08/02 at 22:26
Regular
".......on the attac"
The worst 90 minutes you can ever have is watching Scary Movie 2. I say 90 minutes, but it doesn't actually last that long........

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.