GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2/X-Box Price Drops - Thoughts?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/08/02 at 20:13
Regular
As reported by SR:

'Here we go again... this Friday sees the PS2 price drop to £169.99, and the Xbox price to £159.99! Christmas has come early!

Yes, those two age old enemies, Sony and Microsoft are having yet another public spat, much like a young Essex couple after a long night out on the razz. Sony will drop the price of their PlayStation 2 console this Friday, to an amazing £169.99. Microsoft understandably followed suit, and will drop the price of the Xbox down to £159.99 on Friday too - a tenner cheaper than Sony's machine.'

My thoughts are below:

PS2 - This has been a long time coming and the rumours about this have been circulation for a considerable time and it has happened; perhaps not of the magnitude of which some of us would like (I for one was expecting it to drop to £149.99), but it's still a welcome move by Sony, despite the time it's taken (I knew it would come down just after my birthday - damnit! :P). Ideally, yes, it could be a little cheaper, but it gives the other consoles something to gun for and also benefits X-Box and GC owners, as they will hopefully try to beat the benchmark set by Sony.

X-Box - I was surprised at how quick and abundant this came to us (presumably because of poor sales - after all, they LOSE money on the consoles and only make it up on the sale of the games!). I am particularly happy about this move, as it has upstaged Sony's price drop, which should gain it some popularity. A very welcome move from where I'm sitting (a potential buyer in the future). Well done Microsoft! :)

What are your thoughts on these announcements?
Ryu.
Thu 29/08/02 at 13:59
Regular
(this will get em crawling out the wood work)...

If thinks don't pick up in a big way real soon, Billy might cut the XBox from area's where it is not so popular like Japan and the EU. He would say that it would no not be worth it.
Thu 29/08/02 at 13:58
Regular
Is it my imagination or does the Xbox depreciate quicker than a Lada
Thu 29/08/02 at 13:48
"High polygon count"
Dave RJR wrote:
> XBox is just not popular enough. That is why MS have had to cut the
> price so much so soon.

The machine has dropped to practically half its original price in less than 6 months. Now it's all very well people shouting that it's great for the consumer, but surely everyone - fans and haters alike - must be at least a *little* concerned that all is not well in Xbox land?
Thu 29/08/02 at 13:24
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Probably skip around a gay pole with a load of munchkins and magic toads.
Thu 29/08/02 at 13:17
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i wonder what nintendo will do bout this. I mean they are still cheaper and their console will actually fit next to your tv. they could probably drop £10 or so if they wanted to.
Thu 29/08/02 at 13:05
"Darkness, always"
By dropping below the Sony price, MS have won a nice moral victory. A move I applaud, and am almost tempted to buy one out of respect.

Then I look at the games, and decide against...

But hey. Good news for all "neutral" gamers out there. Not so for anyone who paid £300 for thier xbox though...
Thu 29/08/02 at 11:59
Regular
"Acid Casual"
You'll get a big thankyou at some point when they withdraw it from the market. Take my advice and get the DVD kit before its too late.

Lets face it the Xbox has been one big c0ck-up ever since that Microsoft Monkey Man Steve "Give it up for MEEEEEEE!" Ballmer took to the stage.
Thu 29/08/02 at 11:58
Regular
XBox is just not popular enough. That is why MS have had to cut the price so much so soon. XBox Live is all well and good, but just think of the cost of development and setup. Microsoft must be a bit worried by now.
Thu 29/08/02 at 11:29
"slightlyshortertagl"
I'm kinda pi**ed off about this, i bought my XBox at the original price.
Yes, i did get that pretty funky pack that they sent out, that was meant to include 2 games and a controller, however i managed to skank not only a controller and 2 games, i also got 2 other games that are currently on the way home.

But another £40 drop. Come on Microsoft we want something to say thank you again.
Thu 29/08/02 at 11:06
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Pure desparation on behalf of Microsoft.

Sony are dictating what price MS sell their kit at. Well done Sony.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.