GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2/X-Box Price Drops - Thoughts?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/08/02 at 20:13
Regular
As reported by SR:

'Here we go again... this Friday sees the PS2 price drop to £169.99, and the Xbox price to £159.99! Christmas has come early!

Yes, those two age old enemies, Sony and Microsoft are having yet another public spat, much like a young Essex couple after a long night out on the razz. Sony will drop the price of their PlayStation 2 console this Friday, to an amazing £169.99. Microsoft understandably followed suit, and will drop the price of the Xbox down to £159.99 on Friday too - a tenner cheaper than Sony's machine.'

My thoughts are below:

PS2 - This has been a long time coming and the rumours about this have been circulation for a considerable time and it has happened; perhaps not of the magnitude of which some of us would like (I for one was expecting it to drop to £149.99), but it's still a welcome move by Sony, despite the time it's taken (I knew it would come down just after my birthday - damnit! :P). Ideally, yes, it could be a little cheaper, but it gives the other consoles something to gun for and also benefits X-Box and GC owners, as they will hopefully try to beat the benchmark set by Sony.

X-Box - I was surprised at how quick and abundant this came to us (presumably because of poor sales - after all, they LOSE money on the consoles and only make it up on the sale of the games!). I am particularly happy about this move, as it has upstaged Sony's price drop, which should gain it some popularity. A very welcome move from where I'm sitting (a potential buyer in the future). Well done Microsoft! :)

What are your thoughts on these announcements?
Ryu.
Thu 29/08/02 at 23:56
"High polygon count"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Having a DVD player in the console is a bit of a double edged sword.
> Some people that already have a DVD player may loathe having to pay
> what they think is extra for a feature they won't take advantage of.

Very true, but look at the other side...

The machines incorporate a DVD drive primarily to take advantage of the high capacity discs. How many more people would be irate if neither Sony or MS provided the ability to play movies? If you're putting the hardware in, you may as well make full use of it.

If you bought a DVD-ROM drive for your PC for the (very) few DVD-ROM games, and it didn't play movies, you'd be miffed... right?
Thu 29/08/02 at 21:26
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
We all new that the prices would drop before christmas the only question was how close to christmas. I think it is safe to say that there will be further deals, offers and maybe price cuts as we come to christmas eve but I really don't mind. My brother has a gamecube that I sometimes use but a PS2 is what I want so I welcome price cuts and hope to get FF10 sometime this CENTURY!!! lol :D
Thu 29/08/02 at 18:10
Regular
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Hoorah! Wanna dance? :o)

Lol ok :)
Thu 29/08/02 at 18:06
Regular
"not dead"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Meka Dragon wrote:
> I have a Gamecube because it's right for me.
>
> I have an Xbox because it is right for me.
>
> I am happy with my console, you are happy with yours. Period.

Hoorah! Wanna dance? :o)
Thu 29/08/02 at 18:05
Regular
Meka Dragon wrote:
> I have a Gamecube because it's right for me.

I have an Xbox because it is right for me.

I am happy with my console, you are happy with yours. Period.
Thu 29/08/02 at 18:02
Regular
"not dead"
First off, the price of the consoles.

Xbox at £160 is almost half of it's launch price. It's a good price for a console less that 6 months old, but surely something of a worry? You don't expect something to drop to half of it's price within 6 months, do you?

PS2 at £170 makes sense. It's been out nearly two years. I'm not sure it was overly necessary, but good for anyone that wantsto buy one.

Gamecube £130. Still the same price it launched at. Still a bargain. I would have paid £200 for it. :o)

The thing is, people aren't going to buy a console just because of the price of it. Each has different exclusive games, so you have to choose based on these, don't you?

Having a DVD player in the console is a bit of a double edged sword. Some people that already have a DVD player may loathe having to pay what they think is extra for a feature they won't take advantage of. Also, there are more components to go wrong with multifunctional devices. But if you don't have a DVD player, it can be seen as a nice plus.

Personally I already had a DVD player, and as I only have one TV in my house, the Gamecube was right for me again.

Games are the real issue though, aren't they?

I reckon the games on the Gamecube are better than the games on Xbox and PS2.

Yes there are games on the other machines I'd like, but I only have room and money for one console. In fact, I only have room for the Gamecube. It sit's on top of a sub-woofer, I don't think the other consoles would be happy there.

Anyway, back to games, what the Gamecube has over the N64 which came before it, is superb developer support for multiplatform titles. As much as EA are criticised their games sell tremendously well. Look at how poorly the Dreamcast sold without their support. Consoles need these big titles, the FIFA's and the like.

I don't get why some people are getting worked up about some games being ports to other systems. Isn't a good game a good game, no matter what platform it appears on first? Personally I'm more that happy to have them. If you don't have a Playstation 2, and you get to play some of the games that appeared on that console on Xbox or Gamecube a few months later, isn't this a good thing?

Gaming isn't life changing, it's a hobby. Some people like one type of game over another, so they prefer one console over another.

I have a Gamecube because it's right for me. I'll have at least 12 games by Christmas, and there are twice as many that I'd like too. An Xbox owner might not be won over by these titles, but I am, that's why I have Gamecube and you have Xbox.

Simple really.
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:56
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> My thoughts?
>
> Boycott both, forcing MS and Sony to cut them down to a fiver by
> Christmas! :-)

yep, then nintendo will be forced to drop their console to 2.99
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:49
Regular
We shall see, we shall see.

How about GTA: Vice City
And we will back that up with the Getaway
Hell, lets chuck in Driver 3 as well.

All PS2 hits i think.
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:45
Regular
My thoughts?

Boycott both, forcing MS and Sony to cut them down to a fiver by Christmas! :-)
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:43
Regular
The Price cut is great news.

Whats everyone moaning about? Its called competitive business, Xmas is just around the cornor, so it was a decently smart move for Microsoft, especially in america where a survey was taken to see what console people wanted at Christmas, with Xbox coming out at Number 1, With over 12,000 votes taken.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.