GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The DC is coming back again??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/08/02 at 22:23
Regular
OK from the start i'd like to point out that the thread topic is actually asking a question not stating a fact.

But....

I was browsing through the Gamecube section on this site and i stumbled across an article talking about console online gaming and i saw the following...

Long forgotten by the goldfish-minded youth of today, Sega's white slab of joy was the console to own once upon a time, and although slow sales and the advent of new, more youthful consoles eventually saw it shirk back into a dark corner, the Dreamcast was the first console to go online - fact. And it's coming back. CSI of Japan have admitted that production of the Dreamcast broadband adaptor is to re-commence, after huge demand from Japanese punters. Around 1,000 new adaptors are to be produced for the initial batch, and should they be snapped up like industry pundits predict, even more will be spawned.

Now although this isnt actually saying that the DC will be resurected but it is a HUGE jump back into the limelight by Sega.

I cant help wondering what may happen if by popular demand the DC isnt allowed to sleep peacefully...

Maybe im just holding onto hope, maybe i should let go... well im not giving up on Sega just yet, they still have one of the greatest consoles on the market to this day and it is most certainly NOT dead in many peoples eyes. So lets see what happens from here.
Mon 02/09/02 at 19:01
It's all a little too late now really. It was a benchmark console. It pioneered a breakthrough in video game graphics (MSR for example) and of course Phantasy Star Online was the most easily accessible and possibly addictive game I have ever played as an adult. However a come back now after the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox launches would be a waste of time and money. A lesson that Sega keeps forgetting. Don't get me wrong, I have always liked Sega and loved my DC but SEGA should face the fact, that they cannot make a commercially winning machine in Europe. It is a shame that the DC will now become just a retro machine that is 'cool' to say you have or used to own. A real shame.
Mon 02/09/02 at 11:30
i recon dreamcast IS makin a comebak, 1,000 ppl just in japan says alot to me!
( ( (<( -_-)>) ) )
Wed 28/08/02 at 18:04
Regular
Xbox Live looks to be the best and cheapest console online service around.

Solskjær what you say is true, PS2 online will cost quite alot of money.

Xbox Online has 50 games in development, with voice communication and an online scoring system, with loads of extra features.

Also everything is in the console - Hard Drive, Ethernet Port all you need is the Starter kit...
Wed 28/08/02 at 17:57
Regular
"Long time no see!"
It looks like the PS2's on-line plans will shape-up to be quite expensive compared to the others...

There's the initial cost of having to buy the HardDrive (maybe around £100), then there's a subscription package where you pay around £15 a month in order to use the services, then it's £40-45 per each of the 'few' PS2 titles with on-line capabillites.....

While with the X-Box, X-Box Live will only be £34 a year to use the service.

And I haven't heard anything about the GameCube's plans yet.

So it looks very possible that people could be preffering to play the Dreamcast on-line rather than the PS2!
Not sure about the X-Box though... with a whole host of FPS's that could sail to the top!
Wed 28/08/02 at 13:32
Regular
"Frag 1st, Think 2nd"
We will just have to wait and see how the other 3 fair. Lets face it, it wouldn't be the first time that Sony fleece it's customers with over priced peripherals. I just hope that it will be cheap enough to buy the modems etc that will be neccessry to go online and also that a similiar arrange to Dreamkey 3.0 is set in place.

It should be possible to play Quake III and PSO online with other consolwe users or at least I hope thery toy with multi format online gaming.

BB.
Wed 28/08/02 at 11:23
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I suppose that with SEGA keeping the Dreamcast alive on-line that there's always the chance of them bringing out some new DC-exclusive game with on-line capabillities...

If they think they can keep it going well with the current on-line crop then they'd best think again! Look at all their current on-line games...
Phanatasy Star On-line and many others are 'getting connected' on the GameCube, X-Box and even PS2.

Who's to say owners of the laest 3 next-gen. consoles will still want to go back to their 'old' Dreamcasts for similar - if not the same - on-line games??
Wed 28/08/02 at 09:51
Regular
"Frag 1st, Think 2nd"
I understand your comments fully, but I would hope by now that the gaming community would have realised that the PS2 hasn't lived up to the hype.
It just hope that gamers out there have learned not to be taken in by the ridiculous claims that console manufacturers make. Sony almost went as far as to claim that the PS2 was powerfull enough to run a small country.
Hopefully, Microsoft and Nintendo will have learned form SEGA's online errors and can provide Europe with a good online service with more than just a handful of online games, as good as Sega's are there just wasn't enough or soon enough.

I know that SEGA probably will not re-enter the console market in a hurry, maybe it was just a selfish thought of having all Sega titles back on one console again. Not to many of us can afford to buy the other 3 consoles.

BB
Tue 27/08/02 at 16:17
Regular
BigBob wrote:
> If the DC where launched today with Quake III, PSO, Starlancer etc
> online it would be a roaring success.

If they were launched today they would still be just as amazing and timeless as they were then, but the world is still full of Sony-brainwashed muppets who only see how good the Dreamcast was when it's too late, so I don't think it would have made any difference.

It's also up to the consumer to be more aware of the market. I've been on flat rate internet access since 1996. Yes, '96 - bet you didn't know such a thing existed back then? Neither did a lot of people, but the fact is flat rate internet gaming would be available to all who bothered to shop around.

Having said that, Sega was a bit late releasing Dreamkey 3, which of course was the first time we could choose our ISP. I didn't really bother with online gaming on my Dreamcast until I got that, cos why should I pay stupid per-minute charges when my PC was on flat rate?

> Maybe, just maybe SEGA will have rentered the console market m=by then.

I hope I never see that, as the day Sega releases another console is the day they line themselves up for making another balls-up.
Tue 27/08/02 at 11:57
Regular
"Frag 1st, Think 2nd"
If only.

I think that the bulk of dreamcast where sold in Japan and that SEGA will support the gamers there. Also Japan is all set up for braodband not likr the UK and many other European contries. This is where ultimately the DC fell down in Europe. The internet providers ripped off the DC users, me being one of the early ones. in 98' it cost me apprx. £15 for 2 hours play.
If the DC where launched today with Quake III, PSO, Starlancer etc online it would be a roaring success. But unfortunately I think that SEGA has moved on and is showing the rest of the gaming community what it is capable of.

I current have 43 DC games, light gun, sterring wheel, mouse, keyboard, 2 controllers, 2 x VMU's and 1 x 4mb memory unit.

I have at least 18 months worth of gaming to go before I think about another console (PS2 currently gathering dust). Maybe, just maybe SEGA will have rentered the console market m=by then.

BB.
Sun 25/08/02 at 23:42
Regular
I for one would love to see the Dreamcast continue even though I have only owned one for 6 weeks, but with Sega going multi-format I don't think they will be making a come back with the Dreamcast console. Sega themselves have talked about the current market and they realise that it requires more than a good idea to succeed. The financial side plays a big part, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are all hugely prosporous companies who are prepared to invest all they have in order for their consoles to take off and become the number one console on the market (Bill Gates with the $2 billion investment is a prime example of this). I would like to see Sega continue with the Dreamcast but to I am happy with what the future of the Xbox has in store. With Seag going multi-format I can still get all the top Sega games (Shenmue 2X and Crazy Taxi 3) through my Xbox, but games like Sonic would require me to buy a GameCube as I don' think Sega have any plans of releasing the game for the Xbox.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.