GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is the PS2 really a con?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/11/00 at 08:27
Regular
Is the PS2 really a con? It costs £300
I don’t think it is a "con" I think a lot of people forget the capabilities of this machine. The PS2 shouldn't be priced as a console because it is so much more. People are right when you they say The Dreamcast could play some of the games but at a slower rate. This is because the launch games are far inferior compared to the games that will be out in the future for the PS2. Also for your money you have the most powerful console on earth, a DVD player, Hi-Fi, Has backwards computability, Internet capabilities that will be up and running next year, not to mention it being “Future Proof” plus tons of ports and sockets for connections to other machines, accessories and Add-ons. “O” and also for your money you get a YBasic programming kit to make your own games which you can entertain your self for ever and remake your own version of the old classics.

The PS2 is basically 2 console! If you think about it, it plays PSX games (and makes them look better and load faster) and it plays PS2 games. So anyone who hasn’t got a PSX, sees a game for it and thinks “I like the look of that game” the can buy it and play it on there PS2.

The PS2 is not worth buying till there’s more games out? It has more then any other System at its launch. And around 50 by March. I'm not saying don’t buy the DC or that it is not any good. The DC is a good machine and people the are loyal to Sega are unlikely to buy a PS” as they are use to the Arcade feel of Sega games. And when they play Sony games they wont enjoy them And the excuse of not buying a PS2 because of the X-Box, well the X-Box is a way off the Game Cubes release date is nearer then that.

And is not buying the PS2 because it only has 2 ports a good reason? O.kaaaay so you can have up to 8 players on the PS2 not all consoles can do that. Can the N64? So this isn’t really a good reason. So would you honestly swap a DVD, Ybasic, Backwards Compatibility, tons of power for two ports which you can buy a Multi-tap for 5 ports to solve the problem?

What it looks like? If this sways you to buy a console, We hope you get better.

I am Loyal to Sony but I don’t think I am being biased towards them. Don’t bother answering this topic with “yes” or “no” whatever console you opt for write your view about what you think of the “Con matter” which the DC and N64 owners are always telling us the PS2 is.
Tue 21/11/00 at 12:29

Thank you for summing up my point exactly, so why should I buy a machine with no must-have titles when I can get a cheaper machine that has several available now?
Tue 21/11/00 at 12:21
Xizor wrote:
> Hmmm, I already saw and played GT3 at the ECTS show (it was not
> the final build), it will be a great game but I will not pay out
> for a machine that will sit on the shelf for 6 months before I
> have anything to play on it.
>
> (I think that release date for GT3 is the Japanese version, so
> dont expect to see the euro release that soon, assuming the
> Japanese version doesn't slip again.)
>
> As for the DVD players, the shops on TC road sell DVD players
> (sony or otherwise) that will play any region DVD and at
> considerably low prices (under £160 for region free, VDC,
> DVD, CD and MP3 compatible), like you though I dont need a DVD
> player (I've owned one since way back when people were discussing
> whether DVD or DIVX would be the next big format), so it is just a
> wasted feature for me.
>
> As you said though it is personal opinion on the launch line-up,
> sadly none of the games interest me (I already have similar titles
> on other platforms).
>
> > complaining about what it would cost us!>
>
> But there isn't even a single must-have title (IMO).

was there any most have games on the DC when it came out? No none. course there r now
Tue 21/11/00 at 12:10
Hmmm, I already saw and played GT3 at the ECTS show (it was not the final build), it will be a great game but I will not pay out for a machine that will sit on the shelf for 6 months before I have anything to play on it.

(I think that release date for GT3 is the Japanese version, so dont expect to see the euro release that soon, assuming the Japanese version doesn't slip again.)

As for the DVD players, the shops on TC road sell DVD players (sony or otherwise) that will play any region DVD and at considerably low prices (under £160 for region free, VDC, DVD, CD and MP3 compatible), like you though I dont need a DVD player (I've owned one since way back when people were discussing whether DVD or DIVX would be the next big format), so it is just a wasted feature for me.

As you said though it is personal opinion on the launch line-up, sadly none of the games interest me (I already have similar titles on other platforms).

But there isn't even a single must-have title (IMO).
Tue 21/11/00 at 11:18
> -Only plays region 2 DVDs, for me this is just a waste.

Not a fault of the PS2 though. All Sony DVD players are restricted to the regions for which they are intended. Though you can get them chipped, of course.

> -No remote without splashing out more money

Despite what Sony are saying (Home Entertainment System etc.), most people - at least in Europe - will be buying PS2 primarily for games, not DVD's. I think it's best as an optional extra, as I have a DVD player already, and wouldn't really want to pay extra for the inclusion of a remote. I respect what you're saying, though; it's really a 'personal opinion' issue.

> The launch line up is very lack-lustre, lets face it the best
> title to own at launch is a snowboarding game.

Again, I'd say this was down to personal opinion. There are no really astounding games at launch, but there are at least five that I really want. Let's face it, if every game was a must-have, we'd be complaining about what it would cost us!

> -It is supposedly much more powerful than its competition, well
> were are the products to actually prove this?

The first will appear around February 2001: Gran Turismo 3. If you have a DVD player, get the latest issue of PSW (with the DVD and GT3 footage) and you'll see what I mean. I was expecting greatness, but I was still left open-mouthed in awe of this game.
Tue 21/11/00 at 10:39
Actually item 3 is my opinion, I'm sure some people that haven't seen what other platforms current line up (PC/DC) looks/plays like will think the PSX2 launch games are great (hehehe, but thats their loss not mine :P ).
Tue 21/11/00 at 10:29
I'm sorry but I would have to say it is a con (for now at least), you can go on about its DVD capabilities all you want, but certain facts remain:

-Only plays region 2 DVDs, for me this is just a waste.

-No remote without splashing out more money, Sony produce remotes by the million surely chucking a small remote in to use wouldn't have been that expensive.

-The launch line up is very lack-lustre, lets face it the best title to own at launch is a snowboarding game.

-It is supposedly much more powerful than its competition, well were are the products to actually prove this?

Now just to make something clear, I will own a PSX2 as I collect consoles (I have done so for many years, call it sad, whatever..), but I will not be paying over the top prices for it now.
Tue 21/11/00 at 10:08
Regular
"Complete Banker"
I totally agree. As wer all know when the Playstation was released 5 years ago it cost £300. And now we have a console that plays PSx games, but is also a DVD played. Not to mention the fact that it is the most powerful games console in existance!
£300 is a lot. But it's worth it!
Tue 21/11/00 at 08:30
> What it looks like? If this sways you to buy a console, We hope
> you get better. this also counts for the name!
Tue 21/11/00 at 08:27
Is the PS2 really a con? It costs £300
I don’t think it is a "con" I think a lot of people forget the capabilities of this machine. The PS2 shouldn't be priced as a console because it is so much more. People are right when you they say The Dreamcast could play some of the games but at a slower rate. This is because the launch games are far inferior compared to the games that will be out in the future for the PS2. Also for your money you have the most powerful console on earth, a DVD player, Hi-Fi, Has backwards computability, Internet capabilities that will be up and running next year, not to mention it being “Future Proof” plus tons of ports and sockets for connections to other machines, accessories and Add-ons. “O” and also for your money you get a YBasic programming kit to make your own games which you can entertain your self for ever and remake your own version of the old classics.

The PS2 is basically 2 console! If you think about it, it plays PSX games (and makes them look better and load faster) and it plays PS2 games. So anyone who hasn’t got a PSX, sees a game for it and thinks “I like the look of that game” the can buy it and play it on there PS2.

The PS2 is not worth buying till there’s more games out? It has more then any other System at its launch. And around 50 by March. I'm not saying don’t buy the DC or that it is not any good. The DC is a good machine and people the are loyal to Sega are unlikely to buy a PS” as they are use to the Arcade feel of Sega games. And when they play Sony games they wont enjoy them And the excuse of not buying a PS2 because of the X-Box, well the X-Box is a way off the Game Cubes release date is nearer then that.

And is not buying the PS2 because it only has 2 ports a good reason? O.kaaaay so you can have up to 8 players on the PS2 not all consoles can do that. Can the N64? So this isn’t really a good reason. So would you honestly swap a DVD, Ybasic, Backwards Compatibility, tons of power for two ports which you can buy a Multi-tap for 5 ports to solve the problem?

What it looks like? If this sways you to buy a console, We hope you get better.

I am Loyal to Sony but I don’t think I am being biased towards them. Don’t bother answering this topic with “yes” or “no” whatever console you opt for write your view about what you think of the “Con matter” which the DC and N64 owners are always telling us the PS2 is.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.