GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is the PS2 really a con?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/11/00 at 08:27
Regular
Is the PS2 really a con? It costs £300
I don’t think it is a "con" I think a lot of people forget the capabilities of this machine. The PS2 shouldn't be priced as a console because it is so much more. People are right when you they say The Dreamcast could play some of the games but at a slower rate. This is because the launch games are far inferior compared to the games that will be out in the future for the PS2. Also for your money you have the most powerful console on earth, a DVD player, Hi-Fi, Has backwards computability, Internet capabilities that will be up and running next year, not to mention it being “Future Proof” plus tons of ports and sockets for connections to other machines, accessories and Add-ons. “O” and also for your money you get a YBasic programming kit to make your own games which you can entertain your self for ever and remake your own version of the old classics.

The PS2 is basically 2 console! If you think about it, it plays PSX games (and makes them look better and load faster) and it plays PS2 games. So anyone who hasn’t got a PSX, sees a game for it and thinks “I like the look of that game” the can buy it and play it on there PS2.

The PS2 is not worth buying till there’s more games out? It has more then any other System at its launch. And around 50 by March. I'm not saying don’t buy the DC or that it is not any good. The DC is a good machine and people the are loyal to Sega are unlikely to buy a PS” as they are use to the Arcade feel of Sega games. And when they play Sony games they wont enjoy them And the excuse of not buying a PS2 because of the X-Box, well the X-Box is a way off the Game Cubes release date is nearer then that.

And is not buying the PS2 because it only has 2 ports a good reason? O.kaaaay so you can have up to 8 players on the PS2 not all consoles can do that. Can the N64? So this isn’t really a good reason. So would you honestly swap a DVD, Ybasic, Backwards Compatibility, tons of power for two ports which you can buy a Multi-tap for 5 ports to solve the problem?

What it looks like? If this sways you to buy a console, We hope you get better.

I am Loyal to Sony but I don’t think I am being biased towards them. Don’t bother answering this topic with “yes” or “no” whatever console you opt for write your view about what you think of the “Con matter” which the DC and N64 owners are always telling us the PS2 is.
Tue 21/11/00 at 16:44
> Sorry. What are the second and first party games on the
> PS2 then?

The Getaway
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment - Developer: Studio Soho

Wipeout Fusion
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment - Developer: Studio Liverpool

Gran Turismo 3
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment - Developer: Polyphony Digital

Fantavision
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment - Developer: Sony Computer Entertainment

Also, I think, Tekken Tag Tournament and Ridge Racer V are published by SCEE in Europe.

Probably more, but I can't think of them at the mo!
Tue 21/11/00 at 15:52
Regular
The gamecube is faster, please trust me, but it doesn't matter.

Graphics wise, the Gamecube, I think, wins again. But that also doesn't matter.

What does matter is the first and second party games, and if they doen't hold up, then it's not worth buying.

Third party games always have the chance of going to another system, and with the ease of programming with the Gamecube, it's quite likely for the third party games to build up on the Gamecube.

What are the second and first party games on the PS2 anyway? I know MGS2 is only for PS2, but Konomi, and Squaresoft, aren't second party.

The only game I can think of that's first party is Fantasyvision, I think that's how you spell it. Not sure mind.

(Stop babbling.)

Oh yeah. Sorry. What are the second and first party games on the PS2 then?
Tue 21/11/00 at 14:07
Well, I think one thing we can all agree on is that we all have different tastes in games.

I think I am also inclined to agree with Dan_uk's comment about the competitivenes of the system rather than saying it is 'a con'.

At the end of the day, if we enjoy what we've purchased that's all that matters. I just wish people would take the opportunity to try out different platforms/genres/games before commenting on which is best, etc. (this is not directed at anyone in particular, but it is frustrating to hear people telling you 'this is the best' when they haven't even tried out an alternative.)
Tue 21/11/00 at 13:30
None of which appeal to me. Though that's not to say that they are bad games.

Again... for the hard of hearing... a good game depends on your personal taste. You *cannot* say that all Sony's games are crap simply because they don't appeal to *you*, and you are effectively calling them crap with your "Sony can only dream..." comment.

For me personally, GT2 on PlayStation wipes the floor with all the titles you mention. True, I've never played any of them. Why? Because they don't appeal to me; I can't even be bothered with Spyro titles on PlayStation. Does that make them all bad games? Of course not. That's why you don't see me saying things like "Nintendo can only dream of making games like GT and MGS"
Tue 21/11/00 at 13:12
Regular
Nintendo needed Rare to make Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country etc but Sony can still only dream of making games like Zelda, Mario Kart 64 and Mario 64
Tue 21/11/00 at 12:47
> I a years time, the Gamecube will come out for cheaper

And PS2's price wil have dropped.

> with more power (nearly the difference between PS2 and Dreamcast)

We don't know for sure - yet. Still a 64-bit machine, and with a proprietory media format. I don't know if they do, but *if* Nintendo plan to maintain sole rights to this new format (i.e. not just anyone can produce the new mini-DVD discs) that could have an adverse effect.

But as Nintendo have said, the don't really see PS2 as opposition for them due to the different market positioning of their machine in comparison to PS2 and X-Box.

> Sony made none of these. They were made by other companies who
> could just as easily make games for the Gamecube etc...

Well, strictly speaking, Nintendo don't make many of 'their' better games either. They just market Rare titles as their own. Basically, they have bought an exclusive licence, just like Microsoft have done with Oddworld Inhabitants, and Sony did with Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool. Rare could quite easily make games for all platforms if Nintendo would let them.
Tue 21/11/00 at 12:37
> one comment, PS2 is future proof

That depends on your definition of "future proof" though. While there can be numerous add-ons for PS2, it's not 'future proof' in the sense that you can upgrade the processor or graphics chips etc. like the PC. But then, no console is.
Tue 21/11/00 at 12:34
> As for the DVD players, the shops on TC road sell DVD players
> (sony or otherwise) that will play any region DVD and at
> considerably low prices

Yes, true - you can buy them, I've seen many multi-region Sony's myself; but they don't come from Sony that way. I asked for multi-region in the Sony Centre when I bought my DVP-S725D, but was told they don't do them (though aparently they used to). The other shops make the modifications themselves.

> But there isn't even a single must-have title (IMO).

That's a fair enough point. Personally, there are five launch games that I really want: Tekken Tag and Ridge V (as I'm a fan of both series), TimeSplitters, SSX, and NHL2001. Nothing truly groundbreaking, but worth buyng IMHO.
Tue 21/11/00 at 12:32
one comment, PS2 is future proof, the difference isn't that much with the GC PS" will b cheaper at that time, and sony do make good games. i'd think of getting the x-box but i very much doubt i would get the GC. i jsut dont like there style of games
Tue 21/11/00 at 12:29
Regular
It's not a con. It's just not competitive enough to compete with the Gamecube and X box in the long term.

I a years time, the Gamecube will come out for cheaper, with more power (nearly the difference between PS2 and Dreamcast) and with Nintendo games (which Sony themselves can't even dream of making.).

I think that I'll get a hundred replies of:
"Sony made Resident Evil", "Sony made Tomb Raider", "Sony made Metal Gear Solid", or "Sony made Gran Tourismo".

Sony made none of these. They were made by other companies who could just as easily make games for the Gamecube etc...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.