GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots'.
Sat 14/06/08 at 15:05
Regular
Following years of hype, a wealth of trailers, and more than a fair share of fake spoilers, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is finally with us! Everyone has their theory on how Snake’s final chapter is going to end, and now, Hideo Kojima has brought his ultimate vision to conclusive fruition.

Plot
Avid fans of the series will need to know little – series regular (although we have only played one full MGS game as him!) Solid Snake returns, now renamed “Old Snake”, with cellular degeneration taking its toll on his body. Moreover, he is enlisted by UN envoy and former co-worker (Colonel) Roy Campbell to terminate old adversary Liquid Ocelot, whose plan for world domination is nearing its completion. Spanning five locations, Solid chases Ocelot over the glove in an attempt to thwart his plan.

The setup certainly builds the anticipation further, and throughout, the game’s plot throws more than its fair share of plot twists at you – people change sides, figures emerge from the shadows, and more that simply cannot be mentioned without spoiling the game. The storyline is also riddled with a plethora of amusing moments of comic relief, namely stemming from a gun launderer’s nicotine-addicted monkey, as well as the return of bumbling soldier Johnny Sasaki.

The plot is the ultimate in fan-service; there is plenty here to please long-time players of the series, no less than the star-studded final hours of the game. It must be mentioned that the ending will sharply divide gamers, and personally, it does feel somewhat overwrought whilst simultaneously undeveloped in some places. That said, given the sheer scale of Kojima’s vision, concessions can willingly be made.

9/10.

Gameplay
The game’s strongest suit is without doubt its refined gameplay mechanics – gone are the awkward and sometimes frustrating controls of the previous titles, and instead, gamers are rewarded with an action-orientated engine which allows you to choose between stealth and run-and-gun tactics. The controls have indeed been “westernized”, yet this is hardly a complaint: the controls may require some adjustment, yet the greater ease of use of the aiming system is the most welcome addition to the series by far.

Kojima adds several other never-before-seen elements to the series: there are several “on-rails” shooting sections, a smattering of split-screen action, and a set piece that challenges the bounds of interactive gaming that cannot be revealed so as not to spoil the surprise. All in all, Kojima has created an innovation of not only his own series, but of gaming – this game provides arguably some of the most inviting and impressive gameplay sequences in the history of gaming, and reflects Kojima’s mastery and perfection of his own creation.

Perhaps the only criticism is that the game is rather easy: having received my own copy of the game on Thursday morning, I had completed it by Friday afternoon with little-to-no problems whatsoever, with a completion time of 17 hours. Reviews had promised up to 30 hours of play, yet evidently, this is not the case. Moreover, the bosses, whilst incredibly unique and arguably the best of the series, are a cakewalk, and once their sometimes esoteric solutions are uncovered, repeat playthroughs will certainly offer few challenges.

10/10.

Graphics
Visually, MGS4 is stunning, and the best-looking title on the PS3. Whilst not capturing the sense of scale that GTAIV did, MGS4 is still an epic endeavour throughout, and the cut-scenes are frequently jaw-dropping (literally). Texture detail is fantastic throughout, and in crafting the final chapter to his epic series, Kojima could not ask for a better or more beautiful canvas on which to paint his work. The sense of chaos, in particular in the opening Middle East section, is amplified by the disorientating shrapnel particle effects, the smoke, and even the mild blur as one rotates the camera.

10/10

Sound
Aurally, the game again surpasses itself: Harry Gregson Williams returns to provide soundtrack work, and crafts a wonderful score that all too much befits the somber tone of the game. Voice acting has occasional patches of corniness, but by and large, it again is to be highly commended. Weapon noises and explosions are appropriately loud, and add to the chaotic nature of the game’s battlefield.

9/10

Overall
All in all, Metal Gear Solid 4 reflects a refinement of everything that fans love about the series – the unique, often strange boss fights, the epic scale, the personable characters, Kojima’s idiosyncratic sense of humour, the mind-blowing plot twists, and so much more. Those new to the series will walk away from MGS4 confused, and so it would not be advisable to begin here, yet for those reared on the series, this is a fitting, albeit not 100% satisfying conclusion to Snake’s story. From a gameplay and presentation perspective, however, Kojima has outdone himself many times over: MGS4 is the best of the series, even if it is both too short and too easy. However, the game cannot be condemned on a value-for-money front, given that it comes packed with Metal Gear Online (a game, which, has significantly improved since its contentious BETA testing stages). Rest up, Kojima, Snake, you’ve both earned your rest.

10/10 (not an average)

Thanks for reading,
Reefer.
Mon 16/06/08 at 13:51
Regular
The game has 5 Acts, so you're about 1/3 through the game. Going to start my next playthrough later, I think.
Mon 16/06/08 at 13:23
Regular
"THFC"
Cool - thats what i took it up on, had no real problems yet, just when i sometimes get im patient and run then get shot, but thats just my attention span!

I think im near the end of Act 2, not played it that much, kind of like 1 hour slots here and there. Just need to get it done by Battlefield's release!

I have just found out why Snake is ageing, with naomi - how long in hours would you say i have left??
Mon 16/06/08 at 11:53
Regular
Emmie87 wrote:
> Nice Review! I got the game on Thursday and have played an hour
> here and there between doing other things and i am really
> enjoying it, what level of difficulty did you take on??
>
I played it on "Solid Normal," one setting below "Big Boss Hard".
Mon 16/06/08 at 11:01
Regular
Also got this game on Thursday and I'm completely loving it.

Managed to get almost entirely through Act 4 yesterday, but I forgot to save! So I have to start the whole act all again, but at least I can skip all the cut scenes that I've already seen.

It's probably the best Act so far though, for reasons which I won't reveal!
Mon 16/06/08 at 08:05
Regular
"THFC"
Nice Review! I got the game on Thursday and have played an hour here and there between doing other things and i am really enjoying it, what level of difficulty did you take on??

While i agree with your review (i have not completed it yet so can't be sure on the ending etc) i know it is part of the story but i just dont like being "old" snake, wish he was young again, while it is integral i just miss him!

But good job an di look forward to finishing the game soon
Sat 14/06/08 at 15:05
Regular
Following years of hype, a wealth of trailers, and more than a fair share of fake spoilers, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is finally with us! Everyone has their theory on how Snake’s final chapter is going to end, and now, Hideo Kojima has brought his ultimate vision to conclusive fruition.

Plot
Avid fans of the series will need to know little – series regular (although we have only played one full MGS game as him!) Solid Snake returns, now renamed “Old Snake”, with cellular degeneration taking its toll on his body. Moreover, he is enlisted by UN envoy and former co-worker (Colonel) Roy Campbell to terminate old adversary Liquid Ocelot, whose plan for world domination is nearing its completion. Spanning five locations, Solid chases Ocelot over the glove in an attempt to thwart his plan.

The setup certainly builds the anticipation further, and throughout, the game’s plot throws more than its fair share of plot twists at you – people change sides, figures emerge from the shadows, and more that simply cannot be mentioned without spoiling the game. The storyline is also riddled with a plethora of amusing moments of comic relief, namely stemming from a gun launderer’s nicotine-addicted monkey, as well as the return of bumbling soldier Johnny Sasaki.

The plot is the ultimate in fan-service; there is plenty here to please long-time players of the series, no less than the star-studded final hours of the game. It must be mentioned that the ending will sharply divide gamers, and personally, it does feel somewhat overwrought whilst simultaneously undeveloped in some places. That said, given the sheer scale of Kojima’s vision, concessions can willingly be made.

9/10.

Gameplay
The game’s strongest suit is without doubt its refined gameplay mechanics – gone are the awkward and sometimes frustrating controls of the previous titles, and instead, gamers are rewarded with an action-orientated engine which allows you to choose between stealth and run-and-gun tactics. The controls have indeed been “westernized”, yet this is hardly a complaint: the controls may require some adjustment, yet the greater ease of use of the aiming system is the most welcome addition to the series by far.

Kojima adds several other never-before-seen elements to the series: there are several “on-rails” shooting sections, a smattering of split-screen action, and a set piece that challenges the bounds of interactive gaming that cannot be revealed so as not to spoil the surprise. All in all, Kojima has created an innovation of not only his own series, but of gaming – this game provides arguably some of the most inviting and impressive gameplay sequences in the history of gaming, and reflects Kojima’s mastery and perfection of his own creation.

Perhaps the only criticism is that the game is rather easy: having received my own copy of the game on Thursday morning, I had completed it by Friday afternoon with little-to-no problems whatsoever, with a completion time of 17 hours. Reviews had promised up to 30 hours of play, yet evidently, this is not the case. Moreover, the bosses, whilst incredibly unique and arguably the best of the series, are a cakewalk, and once their sometimes esoteric solutions are uncovered, repeat playthroughs will certainly offer few challenges.

10/10.

Graphics
Visually, MGS4 is stunning, and the best-looking title on the PS3. Whilst not capturing the sense of scale that GTAIV did, MGS4 is still an epic endeavour throughout, and the cut-scenes are frequently jaw-dropping (literally). Texture detail is fantastic throughout, and in crafting the final chapter to his epic series, Kojima could not ask for a better or more beautiful canvas on which to paint his work. The sense of chaos, in particular in the opening Middle East section, is amplified by the disorientating shrapnel particle effects, the smoke, and even the mild blur as one rotates the camera.

10/10

Sound
Aurally, the game again surpasses itself: Harry Gregson Williams returns to provide soundtrack work, and crafts a wonderful score that all too much befits the somber tone of the game. Voice acting has occasional patches of corniness, but by and large, it again is to be highly commended. Weapon noises and explosions are appropriately loud, and add to the chaotic nature of the game’s battlefield.

9/10

Overall
All in all, Metal Gear Solid 4 reflects a refinement of everything that fans love about the series – the unique, often strange boss fights, the epic scale, the personable characters, Kojima’s idiosyncratic sense of humour, the mind-blowing plot twists, and so much more. Those new to the series will walk away from MGS4 confused, and so it would not be advisable to begin here, yet for those reared on the series, this is a fitting, albeit not 100% satisfying conclusion to Snake’s story. From a gameplay and presentation perspective, however, Kojima has outdone himself many times over: MGS4 is the best of the series, even if it is both too short and too easy. However, the game cannot be condemned on a value-for-money front, given that it comes packed with Metal Gear Online (a game, which, has significantly improved since its contentious BETA testing stages). Rest up, Kojima, Snake, you’ve both earned your rest.

10/10 (not an average)

Thanks for reading,
Reefer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.